Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

One encouraging trend in recruiting

For me, the encouraging thing about this class is the caliber of the "plan B" guys' offer sheets. DDY or Coker can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there was both less reaching in this class and the reaches were not nearly as extreme (Warning: I'm going to use Scouts offer lists for lack of better info, I understand this is an imperfect measurement of actual offers but it's the best I'm aware of - if you know of a discrepancy on a particular recruits scout offer list feel free to chime in).

Not sure if Lolohea was a B guy or just a guy who decided late, but he lists offers from half the conference. Kirkland had 6 other Pac12 offers. Gaye lists offers from 5 other Pac schools plus Ole Miss. Tryon had 3 other Pac offers, Norgaard had 2, and White TE and Haener bring up the rear with one (if you believe UCLA wanted Haener at the end).

Setting aside punter because who cares, that's only four guys who had less than 6 Pac offers, and Tryon is very exciting to me at least out of that group. That only leaves two kinda meh guys (Norgaard and Otten) and one WTF guy (Haener).

Compare that to last year when we were KJ Young's only Pac offer, Chincredibles only Pac offer, DGB's only Pac offer, Nick Harris's only Pac offer (though I really like those last two), and Fuller's only Pac offer (though he had 3 Big 10 offers and an ACC offer so he's kind of a different category) . Kizer had 2 other Pac offers and Pleasant had 3 other Pac offers (for some reason I thought he was more in demand than that).

So to compare, this year we got three guys with less than four Pac offers (again, excluding punters), last we got five of those (excluding Fuller who had four other equivalent offers). Average other Pac offers for those bottom 3 guys this year was 1.3. Average other Pac offers for the bottom five last year was 0.4.

TL; DR - the bottom 20-25% of the class is much more in demand this year than last year despite the fact they're all listed as three stars.

Of course, most of that progress is really just upgrading from Pease to Bush. Still, hopefully Bush is around for awhile.

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    "fallback" or "plan b" guys that have great potential but need development ... is a great thing to see.

much better than space filler/longshots ...

6'5" - 6'6" guys who are 240-260, raw - but with "rare" qualities can be coached up.

You can't make Nick Harris 6'5" but they recognized the potential/qualities. If he was 6'5" he would be an NFL first round pick.

Another quality winning year and the following year too will see the staggered recruiting effect and we'll be hitting the stride for up front high-end 4-5* talent.

we'll have the luxury of taking a few "gambles" after a full talented class is in the fold.

good times
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I cry everytime i think about James Atoe.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    This staff knows how to recruit and develop talent, that's for god damn sure. Offensive and defensive lines will continue to improve.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Moral victories aren't okay during the season, but fine in recruiting.
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    You people are underrating the fuck out of Otten
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

KobeStan said:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "YOU PEOPLE"????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iV24hL8Rk
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    @CokeGreaterThanPepsi: Your OL obsession wasn't making sense until I recognized your passion for players who start in the bent-over position. It all makes sense now.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

@CokeGreaterThanPepsi: Your OL obsession wasn't making sense until I recognized your passion for players who start in the bent-over position. It all makes sense now.

You get me!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2017
    KobeStan said:

Dude did you not listen to the pod? DDY and CGTP were rubbing one out to this potential while Tequila watched.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017
    KobeStan said:

I like this call. He's going to be 6'5" 240-250 with soft hands.

I think many here don't factor in that guys like Otten are normally obsessed with football. Football IQ is too often thrown around for guys that lack physical skills. Otten has the physical skills.

Otten is Drew Sample with twice (maybe more) the ability as a pass catcher.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

KobeStan said:

Dude did you not listen to the pod? DDY and CGTP were rubbing one out to this potential while Tequila watched.
    They both are significantly higher on Otton than I am ... I think he will be a nice player but I think the ceiling is a slightly better version of Sample
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

KobeStan said:

I like this call. He's going to be 6'5" 240-250 with soft hands.

I think many here don't factor in that guys like Otten are normally obsessed with football. Football IQ is too often thrown around for guys that lack physical skills. Otten has the physical skills.

Otten is Drew Sample with twice (maybe more) the ability as a pass catcher.
    Otton and Kizer are the next wave of Sample and Dissly
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You get me!
    The geometry gave it away. I was always good at Maff.