Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jontay Porter considering to reclassify himself to class of 2017.

This team might have enough talent to carry Romar.

Comments

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Obviously you've been under a rock the last 6 years. Especially last year when romar had 2 first round picks and didn't sniff the NCAA tourney.
  • Options
    Petersen3098Petersen3098 Member Posts: 365

Obviously you've been under a rock the last 6 years. Especially last year when romar had 2 first round picks and didn't sniff the NCAA tourney.
    Not quite, last year's class is not even close to being as good as next year's class.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    The new coach should have some talent
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

As much as I love Baby Boy #RBV!!!, he was the last pick in the 1st round. And Chriss was raw as fuck because he only played a year or 2 of organized bball when he got to UW.

Porter is going to be the #1 overall pick, he might be good enough to carry the team to the tourney alone. Add in his little bro, and that's 2 bigs with actual bball IQ and skills.

Throw in Nowell and Davis, and this is easily the best class Romar has ever pulled out of his ass. I know how most of us feel about keeping a coach because of recruiting, but if you think Romar is getting canned before this class comes to campus, you're wrong.
  • Options

As much as I love Baby Boy #RBV!!!, he was the last pick in the 1st round. And Chriss was raw as fuck because he only played a year or 2 of organized bball when he got to UW.

Porter is going to be the #1 overall pick, he might be good enough to carry the team to the tourney alone. Add in his little bro, and that's 2 bigs with actual bball IQ and skills.

Throw in Nowell and Davis, and this is easily the best class Romar has ever pulled out of his ass. I know how most of us feel about keeping a coach because of recruiting, but if you think Romar is getting canned before this class comes to campus, you're wrong.
    I couldn't agree more. We have never seen a class as good as next year before. Don't forget Harris, he is very underrated, should be a 4 star, but he doesn't get much attention.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    So he's not top 50 in his own class, but we're supposed to be excited about him playing a year early?

WDWH in 2017 A.
  • Options

I couldn't agree more. We have never seen a class as good as next year before. Don't forget Harris, he is very underrated, should be a 4 star, but he doesn't get much attention.
    You ARE Doogism 101.

Look at future class, beat off on recruiting rankings, season sucks, look to next season, cry about how X player won't show up if the anointed isn't the coach, rinse/lather/repeat.

There is one thing constant over the last 6 years other than lack of post season(FO CBI/NIT participation fans), and it isn't talented players.
  • Options
    BrickSquadBrickSquad Member Posts: 1,658
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Ugh Romar fuck off
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Apparently the Porters attended Hale for like a week and are being home schooled which is traditionally 'work at your own pace.' It could happen but Romar would have to have someone transfer out. Romar math though. The little bro is like a more skilled Noah Dickerson IMO. Shoots well from outside and has good passing ability.
  • Options

Apparently the Porters attended Hale for like a week and are being home schooled which is traditionally 'work at your own pace.' It could happen but Romar would have to have someone transfer out. Romar math though. The little bro is like a more skilled Noah Dickerson IMO. Shoots well from outside and has good passing ability.

Not sure of his size, but I doubt we'll see a post strong enough to compete at this level when he wasn't even at top 10 of his class. Could be great after a couple years but if he's looking to reclassify 6'8" and string bean at the 4 isn't going to be very good.

But, he is going to be 10x better than timmons by just breathing.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They're going to make a run next year and Romar will get a ten year extension.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I watched the game yesterday ... high school basketball is difficult to watch

Porter deserves his ranking ... skill wise it's what you want from a player his size ... elite talent. That being said, you can absolutely tell he's a HS kid as his forces are obvious, he needs to learn how to turn down shots and work for better ones, and how to use the attention given to him to make others better.

Jontay is a skilled big man that could be a really nice player with 3 years in college under the right coach developing his game. He has s nice feel for the game but definitely a lot more raw.

As for Roy and Hale, I will give him credit for taking the job and doing a reasonable job. Too often it looked like Green Lake rat ball to me with isolation on offense and reaching on defense paramount. I did see some switches on defense that gave me a reason to believe that coaching exists.

But the whole under belly of Seattle AAU and youth hoops needs to be flipped upside down as it is ALL individual focused.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    They should both sit out a year to not ruin their NBA stock under Romar
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

There is one coach in the country who has been successful for navigating predominately elite frosh talent to post season. His name is not Romar. If anything, Romar has zero front court and a bunch of guards fighting for the same minutes.

UW has Markel fultz who is the arguable #1 pick, and a bunch of 4* guys on the roster.

Dickerson
    Green
    Thybulle
    Crisp
    timmons

So we're too assume that b/c nowell, davis, harris and porter are all rated 4* or higher that it will translate to winning? Nowell, davis, crisp will likely fight for similar minutes. Thybulle, green, johnson and porter(s) for other minutes. Leaving Dickerson, atewe and timmons in the post, or very skinny Porter(s). Not to mention we all know at least 1-3 of the current roster will leave per the usual exodus(my guess is johnson and green)

Recruiting stars are bullshit. Rarely do frosh ever lead teams to really good records. It's typically a combination of solid upper classmen and a couple of elite frosh. UW doesn't play anyone major minutes this season who isn't a 4*(sans Dime when he was still suiting up).
    Good post. Fully agree. Changing the subject a bit, but Coach K has gone the Caliperi route. He won his last title because of freshman. He's been getting a couple of one and done's every year.

When Cal or coach K get 1 or 2 guys that stay, they contend for titles. Cal did the same thing with the Anthony Davis class. They had Terrence Jones and a couple other guys who weren't freshman to help. The Duke team with Okafor, Winston, and Jones had a Quinn Cook, etc.
  • Options

There is one coach in the country who has been successful for navigating predominately elite frosh talent to post season. His name is not Romar. If anything, Romar has zero front court and a bunch of guards fighting for the same minutes.

UW has Markel fultz who is the arguable #1 pick, and a bunch of 4* guys on the roster.

Dickerson
    Green
    Thybulle
    Crisp
    timmons

So we're too assume that b/c nowell, davis, harris and porter are all rated 4* or higher that it will translate to winning? Nowell, davis, crisp will likely fight for similar minutes. Thybulle, green, johnson and porter(s) for other minutes. Leaving Dickerson, atewe and timmons in the post, or very skinny Porter(s). Not to mention we all know at least 1-3 of the current roster will leave per the usual exodus(my guess is johnson and green)

Recruiting stars are bullshit. Rarely do frosh ever lead teams to really good records. It's typically a combination of solid upper classmen and a couple of elite frosh. UW doesn't play anyone major minutes this season who isn't a 4*(sans Dime when he was still suiting up).
    No one is looking at stars here. If you looked at Daejon Davis and Nowell's videos, you see that they are clearly more mature and polished than Murray and Thybulle was in HS. Yes they might be a bust, but everyone can be a bust. By just looking at their videos, one of Davis and Nowell will start.

btw, Crisp is a 3 star, not a 4 star.
  • Options

Dickerson
    Green
    Thybulle
    Crisp
    timmons

No one is looking at stars here. If you looked at Daejon Davis and Nowell's videos, you see that they are clearly more mature and polished than Murray and Thybulle was in HS. Yes they might be a bust, but everyone can be a bust. By just looking at their videos, one of Davis and Nowell will start.

Flag me to start with, but crisp is a 4* on Kem's Scout site. I didn't bother to check the rest of the internet which I'm sure can generate other rankings.

I will never get into pissing matches over "videos" of recruits. Especially in basketball b/c the haves vs the have nots is vast. Nobody plays defense in high school. NOBODY. It's why guys struggle at the next level. They play better talent, more mature bodies, and teams actually scout and play defense(grain of salt poured for UW's defense the last half decade).

With most stud recruits I rarely worry if they can score at the next level. That's actually easier than anything. I worry if they can transition to play team defense, defend top level pac12 players 1-1 and rebound. As you may have noticed this year, UW doesn't play a lick of defense as a team and can't defend a simple pick and roll. If you think Garfield is preparing these guys to defend you're dooging.

• Options

Dickerson
    Green
    Thybulle
    Crisp
    timmons

Flag me to start with, but crisp is a 4* on Kem's Scout site. I didn't bother to check the rest of the internet which I'm sure can generate other rankings.

I will never get into pissing matches over "videos" of recruits. Especially in basketball b/c the haves vs the have nots is vast. Nobody plays defense in high school. NOBODY. It's why guys struggle at the next level. They play better talent, more mature bodies, and teams actually scout and play defense(grain of salt poured for UW's defense the last half decade).

With most stud recruits I rarely worry if they can score at the next level. That's actually easier than anything. I worry if they can transition to play team defense, defend top level pac12 players 1-1 and rebound. As you may have noticed this year, UW doesn't play a lick of defense as a team and can't defend a simple pick and roll. If you think Garfield is preparing these guys to defend you're dooging.

Crisp was a 3 star on ESPN and 247

Yes, I agree that they don't play defense in High school. What I'm trying to say is that this team has a shot in getting into the tourney, not making a run. We were on the bubble till the end of the season last year until we lost to OSU. We had Chriss and Murray. Last year's team had no defense too. Next year's class is probably better than last year's class. I just think that we have a great shot at making the tourney.