Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Iron Law sighting

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,555
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Everyone has been talking about the 1926 Rose Bowl (which we would've won if George Wilson hadn't been hurt) but there are a few other interesting nuggets. Forgive me if this has all been covered before.

The great Nick Saban was a protégé of the great Don James. And the near great Jim Owens was a protégé of Bear Bryant. Owens was one of Bryant's assistants at Kentucky and TAMU before coaching Washington for 18 years. Owens took us to three Rose Bowls and one National Championship (we claim) between 1959 and 1965. But he didn't adjust well to the advent of two platoon football and the era of the I formation on the west coast, so his later years were mediocre.

Don James' first team was blown out by Alabama in 1975, but three years later we came within one play of beating Alabama's 1978 national championship team. We lost 20-17, but dropped a sure TD pass, and fumbled in your territory late in the 4th quarter. Bear Bryant later said it was the most impressive three year turnaround he had ever seen. The next five years we would go to two Rose Bowls and an Orange Bowl.

And in 1986 you crushed us in the Sun Bowl. That loss led James to reevaluate his entire program and emphasize speed over power. That led to the run of 1990 to 1993 when we went to three consecutive Rose Bowls and won the National Championship.

Now we will see how far along the Petersen construction project is. We have clearly passed everyone in the PAC-12 other than USC, but are we ready to play with the super elite in just year 3?

The funniest thing is the string of replies angry at him for using injuries as an excuse for the 1926 Rose Bowl.

I'd link it but you degenerates are all banned from Scout

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,095
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Everyone has been talking about the 1926 Rose Bowl (which we would've won if George Wilson hadn't been hurt) but there are a few other interesting nuggets. Forgive me if this has all been covered before.

George Wilson started the game which is why UW was winning. He carried the team though so once he was injured Alabama was able to come back. I recall reading in my 100 years of UW football book that Bama intentionally injured Wilson knowing that any personal foul penalties would more than be compensated.

This is why I propose starting Wooching and Connor O'Brien at FB, seeing if they can knock Jonathan Allen and Reuben Foster out of the game. Defensive players probably aren't expecting a blind side targeting from the FB and will be extra defenseless, hopefully leading to concussions.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer