Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Helfrich Sells His Couch

Comments

• Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

AZDuck said:

This guy has been right everything, right up to the date Helfrich was getting the axe. It was pretty clear this weekend he knew what was coming. Former Oregon player with contacts in the program.

Big, if true.

QB11 is your source?
    Pretty sure that's the same guy that was expecting an 11 win season and didn't think Jake Browning was very good.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    AZDuck said:

Oregon AD Mullens just gave a presser. Wasn't kick ass, but most interesting answer was that "there are many branches to the Oregon coaching tree over the last 30 years and we may take a look at one of them."

SCOTT FROST
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

My sorcerers told me they are going to bring in a few coaches like Brian Kelly (yes you are right), Fleck, Frost, Charlie Weiss, Joe Paterno and Romeo Cronnell. They are going to settle it over a combination of challenges, such as madden 94, duck hunt, hot dog eating contest, and Twister. The final 2 will be given a list of materials and told to design a new uniform for the season opener, the kids will vote anonymously and the winning uniform will put the coach into the driver's seat for the most prestigious job in all of Eugene sports. People in the know are really hoping it's televised to boost recruiting. They think this will bring Molden home.

this is good info
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I saw rumors too, didn't see the flightaware though.

Hiring ND retreads after firing Gilby is always special.

This worries me, because Notre Dame's first call to replace Kelly would have to be Petersen. There's not many high profile coaches out there right now.
    don't worry about this...the ND job is toxic and Peterson knows it.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Meek said:

This worries me, because Notre Dame's first call to replace Kelly would have to be Petersen. There's not many high profile coaches out there right now.
    Maybe I'm a fool, but I am not even a little worried about Petersen leaving. He is happy here and he has gotten through the adjustment period of the first two seasons. He has told us that it was hard. He is right at the cusp of having UW rolling like he had Boise rolling, only in a major conference where there is no real limit to the upside. And I am pretty sure he knows that.

He is also very happy being somewhat anonymous in the Seattle area. If he went to Eugene or South Bend that would go away.

I may be wrong but Petersen also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about the difference between being very fucking rich and very, very fucking rich.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AIRWOLF said:

Meek said:

Maybe I'm a fool, but I am not even a little worried about Petersen leaving. He is happy here and he has gotten through the adjustment period of the first two seasons. He has told us that it was hard. He is right at the cusp of having UW rolling like he had Boise rolling, only in a major conference where there is no real limit to the upside. And I am pretty sure he knows that.

He is also very happy being somewhat anonymous in the Seattle area. If he went to Eugene or South Bend that would go away.

I may be wrong but Petersen also doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about the difference between being very fucking rich and very, very fucking rich.
    Agree. My point is that Petersen probably checks every single box for ND, and that a call from ND might be the one Petersen at least takes.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I'd be much more worried about Petersen to Oregon than to ND.

Oregon doesn't scare me much. ND doesn't scare me at all.

Coach stays.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2016
    When they rip it out from underneath you.... Is that really constituted as a Couch Sale???
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

When they rip it out from underneath you.... Is that really constituted as a Couch Sale???

When they give you $11M to LEAVE! then yes
  • Options
    Another shoe dropped this afternoon. All of the assistants were fired. Termination notices were sent out earlier this afternoon. Another VERY STRONG clue that Oregon already has their guy.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,960

My sorcerers told me they are going to bring in a few coaches like Brian Kelly (yes you are right), Fleck, Frost, Charlie Weiss, Joe Paterno and Romeo Cronnell. They are going to settle it over a combination of challenges, such as madden 94, duck hunt, hot dog eating contest, and Twister. The final 2 will be given a list of materials and told to design a new uniform for the season opener, the kids will vote anonymously and the winning uniform will put the coach into the driver's seat for the most prestigious job in all of Eugene sports. People in the know are really hoping it's televised to boost recruiting. They think this will bring Molden home.

Baldwin it is.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

Another shoe dropped this afternoon. All of the assistants were fired. Termination notices were sent out earlier this afternoon. Another VERY STRONG clue that Oregon already has their guy.

Wouldn't Chip have wanted to keep some of his former lovers assistants?
    Now they get termination pay *and* new contracts. win-win.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Lots of smoke about Brian Kelly on NDN Irish site.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Why would we? pay 11M to hire another coach who drove his Ferrari into a ditch?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AZDuck said:

Gladstone said:

Easy answer.

Abundance.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    AZDuck said:

Gladstone said:

If you were ND's AD and in a position where you may want to move on from Kelly, but don't want to pay his buyout, it puts you in an interesting position right? You don't want to set a precedent that if a coach wants to move on that you won't enforce the terms of the buyout ... but if the buyout is too painful to keep a program from hiring him then you run the risk of having to eat the buyout next year.

Fun times in the coaching carousel ...
  • Options
    All Oregon's commits are now following this guy on Twitter. Played against Kelly at UMASS and has been the recruiting coordinator at Temple for a couple years, so some overlap with Kelly. New recruiting coordinator?