Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jean Segura trade

not bad. I am a little bit worried about dealing for someone in segura who's coming off of just 1 great season. but if he comes anywhere close to repeating that it's a great deal.

I'm not terribly high on walker and think it would take him almost completely reworking his mechanics to find success.
As for Marte I think he sucks.

Haniger, the OF the mariners also got looks at worst a decent RH hitting platoon guy for next year and at best a high ceiling power hitting OF.

This trade, could blow up in the mariners face's, but I think it could also be good.

now, if they trade smith, sign an everyday OF like Jay or maybe even cespedes if they have the cash and then get a SP to take Walker's place it's a great offseason.

We'll see if the new ownership makes a difference

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I thought we had traded Browning for a new QB
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    M's fleeced the D-Backs.

Walker is trash. He's had an opportunity.

Martell isn't going to be that good either.

Haniger has torn up the minor leagues. That's not a guarantee but he's promising.

The lefty reliever strikes out a lot of hitters.

Segura probably had a career year, but he's a lot better than Martell.
  • HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    I really like Segura. He adjusted his swing and worked with Cano to fix it in the first place (if I remember correctly what I read). His infant child also passed away so some of his struggles with the Brewers could be attributed to that.

M's fleeced the D-Backs.

Haniger has torn up the minor leagues. That's not a guarantee but he's promising.

You're already writing off Tate Martell?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Baseman said:

M's fleeced the D-Backs.

We all are.

WDWHA

Baseman said:

M's fleeced the D-Backs.

We all are.

WDWHA
    Don't. He likely flips his commitment again.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Walker sucks. He has one good month a season. He's also a huge pussy.

Ketel is way too inconsistent right now. He might get a little better but I don't think much. Players like Kris Bryant, Mike Trout, and Bryce Harper have showed if you are going to be an all star caliber player you can do it from the get go.

This was a trade the old Mariners would have made a few years ago from the other side. Trade a veteran who is hitting his stride and already really good for a couple prospects with "high ceiling" who never pan out to what people think they will become.

Mariners need to win NOW. Cruz and Cano are in their mid 30s and Seager/Felix aren't getting younger either. Get rid of guys you think could be good in 2-3 years for ones who are good now.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I generally agree. but it also blows open a huge hole in the starting rotation that needs filling.
    this is a good step but not the finals step
  • d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If Walker ever gets a good Psychiatrist he MIGHT fulfill his potential. Otherwise, he's a pussy at best.
    I'm thinking @Tequilla will come out against it because of what he thinks about marte. and we'll disagree
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Walker sucks. He has one good month a season. He's also a huge pussy.

Ketel is way too inconsistent right now. He might get a little better but I don't think much. Players like Kris Bryant, Mike Trout, and Bryce Harper have showed if you are going to be an all star caliber player you can do it from the get go.

This was a trade the old Mariners would have made a few years ago from the other side. Trade a veteran who is hitting his stride and already really good for a couple prospects with "high ceiling" who never pan out to what people think they will become.

Mariners need to win NOW. Cruz and Cano are in their mid 30s and Seager/Felix aren't getting younger either. Get rid of guys you think could be good in 2-3 years for ones who are good now.

Jean Segura is basically the counterpoint to that argument.

I like the deal and I think Marte sucks, but I don't think young players who struggle necessarily means they won't get it together.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

I thought we had traded Browning for a new QB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py37IFuKxYw
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dhdawg said:

I'm thinking @Tequilla will come out against it because of what he thinks about marte. and we'll disagree

This is the kind of trade that I could get behind for Marte ... Segura can be a difference maker at the top of the order ... he's had 2 good/great years and 2 brutal years ... if he is what he was last year a great deal

My Marte comments were largely because I hated the idea of Zack Cozart who didn't do anything for me

The comments about needing a SP are ultimately what will determine how great of a trade this is ... the Mariners desperately need a reliable SP to replace Walker and get Kuma pushed down the pecking order
    Tequilla said:

dhdawg said:

This is the kind of trade that I could get behind for Marte ... Segura can be a difference maker at the top of the order ... he's had 2 good/great years and 2 brutal years ... if he is what he was last year a great deal

My Marte comments were largely because I hated the idea of Zack Cozart who didn't do anything for me

The comments about needing a SP are ultimately what will determine how great of a trade this is ... the Mariners desperately need a reliable SP to replace Walker and get Kuma pushed down the pecking order
    yes. They a buy low guy like CJ Wilson AND a reliable 2/3 starter that will likely come as a result of a trade.

I'd add in a corner OF as well
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    They need to spend for a reliable SP option if possible ... lack of minor league depth at SP is troubling