Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We are down to 32% now

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-a-weekend-of-upsets-changed-the-college-football-playoff/
The season is definitely not over, but our statistical odds to make the CFP per Nate Silver's super computer have decreased from 47% pre USC to 32% post said game. In my view, Nate's stock is not diminished post Trump win. He gave him a 29% chance as of Monday, 11/7 and indicated an electoral college win was well within the polling margin for error.

Yes, it's FS that I even looked this up - just win El Norte and worry about the other crap when we get there.

Comments

• Options
    BrickSquadBrickSquad Member Posts: 1,658
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2016
    I'm surprised it's still that high. I'm not sure they control their own destiny even if they do win out.

I hope I'm wrong and UW squeaks in
  • Options
    BrickSquadBrickSquad Member Posts: 1,658
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

That's bullshit along with most of the crap that comes out of there

I had Trump winning in June of 2015. Fuck Silver.

What were his odds on my Cavs down 3-1?

We win we are in and we have 2 cupcakes and a likely rematch with Utah to do so

81% chance

Pass the blunt
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

81% chance

Pretty sure the disagreement is on UW's odds of winning out. I doubt Silver (and it's probably not even him, just his team) is dumb enough to project us out of the tourney in that scenario.

That Wazzu game is going to be TUFF though.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also we are all Houston cougars fans now
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fivethirtyeight is a damn joke. I sometimes laugh at their predictions before I even read them. Now I just ignore everything they say.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-a-weekend-of-upsets-changed-the-college-football-playoff/
    The season is definitely not over, but our statistical odds to make the CFP per Nate Silver's super computer have decreased from 47% pre USC to 32% post said game. In my view, Nate's stock is not diminished post Trump win. He gave him a 29% chance as of Monday, 11/7 and indicated an electoral college win was well within the polling margin for error.

Yes, it's FS that I even looked this up - just win El Norte and worry about the other crap when we get there.

silver had the election nailed so im sure he's right on this one.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

81% chance

Race, you had Trump in June 2015? I hope you wagered some serious coin on this. That would buy a hell of a lot of fresh bowls and cigars.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,382
    Swaye's Wigwam

81% chance

Race, you had Trump in June 2015? I hope you wagered some serious coin on this. That would buy a hell of a lot of fresh bowls and cigars.
    The evidence is on the Tug
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

silver had the election nailed so im sure he's right on this one.
    I hardly think he had it "nailed" as was the case in 2008 and 12, but he gave him a lot better chance at victory than most predictors.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,566
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Louisville sucks. Clemson sucks. Michigan sucks
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This is the guy who gave a 67% chance to Hillary day before the election, right?
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

doogie said:

This is the guy who gave a 67% chance to Hillary day before the election, right?

Yeah. What's the problem?

Even Trump's camp didn't think they were favorites to win. 538 gave Trump a better chance of winning than pretty much every polls-based website out there and also better than the betting market. People who think Trump's win is a reason to ignore 538 are clueless.
    Trump knew he was going to win.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,382
    Swaye's Wigwam

doogie said:

Even Trump's camp didn't think they were favorites to win. 538 gave Trump a better chance of winning than pretty much every polls-based website out there and also better than the betting market. People who think Trump's win is a reason to ignore 538 are clueless.
    I'm not sure that giving the guy who won an electoral landslide 33% is reason to celebrate

As someone else pointed out Silver never changed his models to reflect the Trump voters and the lack of carry over of Obama voters for Hillary. He missed on Trump on the primaries too

It doesn't make him a bad person or bad at what he does but if we wanted stupid percentage metric bullshit we'd move to Friday Harbor with Chest

He was as bad as everyone else
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,592
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Silver should have found a new career last Wednesday morning. Lost all credibility. LOSER.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    jecornel said:

Silver should have found a new career last Wednesday morning. Lost all credibility. LOSER.

You probably don't have a very good grasp of probability.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

81% chance

BLACK POWER
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

doogie said:

I'm not sure that giving the guy who won an electoral landslide 33% is reason to celebrate

As someone else pointed out Silver never changed his models to reflect the Trump voters and the lack of carry over of Obama voters for Hillary. He missed on Trump on the primaries too

It doesn't make him a bad person or bad at what he does but if we wanted stupid percentage metric bullshit we'd move to Friday Harbor with Chest

He was as bad as everyone else
    You have a really poor grasp on how probabilities work, particularly when it comes to events that have a high degree of correlation, i.e. non-independent events.

And he did change his model to reflect the uncertainty in this election, which is why his model gave Trump a better chance of winning than virtually every poll-based model out there.

Many of the arguments used about turnout were used back in 2008 and 2012 and were categorically wrong back then. There is such a thing as polling error and polls have become less reliable in recent years by the look of things (Brexit, Israeli election, British election, etc.) which, again, is why he gave Trump a better chance of winning than other models out there.