Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

ESPN loses 621,000 subscribers last month alone

doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Worst month in company history.

Trend is your friend! SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC...

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,915
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    How will those people find our which Kardashian was at the Knicks game last night?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,876
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Anything besides live sports that bspn has done over the past 10 years has turned to shit.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    They lost 621,000 people that subscribed to a package that included ESPN. 0 of those people might have actually watched ESPN the month before.

The only thing that matters is ratings, which could be dropping too, but that isn't what's being talked about in the article. ESPN isn't selling spots to advertisers based on Grandma's cable subscription that happens to include ESPN, they sell it based on how many people actually watch their channel.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Anything besides live sports that bspn has done over the past 10 years has turned to shit.

And even their live sports have issues with the dreck of announcers on all sports networks.
  • Options

They lost 621,000 people that subscribed to a package that included ESPN. 0 of those people might have actually watched ESPN the month before.

The only thing that matters is ratings, which could be dropping too, but that isn't what's being talked about in the article. ESPN isn't selling spots to advertisers based on Grandma's cable subscription that happens to include ESPN, they sell it based on how many people actually watch their channel.

Not quite true...they get paid by the cable company per subscription:
    http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

Long term ratings matter, but their $$ from cable companies is through subscribers, their money through advertisers is ratings.
    You're right, I did forget about that.

Fuck these TV contracts are really feeling like a house of cards. CFB could be majorly fucked in the near future.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Helps Trump IMO
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2016
    One possible reason: ref ball.
    Was at a sports book watching all the games and at any given time half the screens were of officials explaining calls.
    It's turning into cspan
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    ESPN's product has been declining for a while. Too many women reporting on sports they clearly don't really know what they talking about.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

imageimage

538 is damn good. A lot of the 30 for 30s are very good too.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AIRWOLF said:

Digital media disrupting the traditional cable business model is finally happening. Figuring out what's next for live sports in a world where "cord cutters" are becoming more and more common is the challenge for everybody involved.

We would have dropped our cable subscription by now if there was a good option for watching live sports on an a la carte basis.

I've got to guess that at some stage the bullshit bundling model will get broken. It will pretty much have to be.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the "bubble bursts" (as the article puts it) and all these sports stations will be forced to go a la carte. Bundled cable packages tend to prop up niche stations, so I wouldn't be shocked if channels like the Pac-12 Network would go away entirely (which is probably a good thing - most of their programming is filler in my opinion) or exist in some scaled back web-only version.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney come out with their own streaming service that they could offer post 2022 after the promise of not going over the top of the cable and satellite providers has no recourse if broken. That's what I would do if I were them.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney come out with their own streaming service that they could offer post 2022 after the promise of not going over the top of the cable and satellite providers has no recourse if broken. That's what I would do if I were them.

Comcast will just squeeze their data caps a little tighter if they smell more competition.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #stadiumdefault surging in early voting
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    AIRWOLF said:

Not quite true...they get paid by the cable company per subscription:
    http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

Long term ratings matter, but their $$ from cable companies is through subscribers, their money through advertisers is ratings.
    Digital media disrupting the traditional cable business model is finally happening. Figuring out what's next for live sports in a world where "cord cutters" are becoming more and more common is the challenge for everybody involved.

We would have dropped our cable subscription by now if there was a good option for watching live sports on an a la carte basis.

I've got to guess that at some stage the bullshit bundling model will get broken. It will pretty much have to be.

THIS

People are getting pissed at the cable monopolies and extortion pricing. ESPN is the most expensive (non-premium) channel for cable carriers by a pretty wide margin. So now in our family we split costs - one person subscribes to Direct TV and shares HBO/ESPN Direct PW w/everyone else, another subscribes to the digital version of the newspaper we all read and shares PW w/everyone else, someone else subscribes to Hulu, someone else subscribes to Netflix, etc.

The only thing I don't get through this system is the fucking Pac-12 Network, which is pretty much where #MyDeadDucks will be the rest of the season.

Praise Allah for xrxs.net and AirParrot.