Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Prediction: UW will sign the big DL from Edmonds-Woodway

Ali Gaye. He was born in west African nation of Gambia before coming to the U.S.

Checks in at 6-6, 260. Looking at his highlights, he's an unpolished, rangy prospect who, with his frame, could easily carry 290 in another year or so.

Similar situation to Jonathan Kongbo from The Congo via British Columbia. Kongbo was an unheralded high school senior in 2014, signed with Wyoming, transferred to Arizona Western and ended up as the No. 1 JuCo recruit in the country last winter. Had offers from UW and just about every other DI program but chose Tennessee.

The recruiting sites have written little about Gaye, but he claims a half-dozen Pac-12 offers (but not UW). Coach K and Malloe went to see him play a couple weeks ago.

I predict he'll commit shortly before signing day. If Gaye doesn't qualify academically as some have speculated, Pete will stash him at CCSF or some other UW-friendly junior college where the Huskies can get him back in a couple years.

"Bringing (Washington) back to a championship level will be dictated by our ability to recruit and to develop defensive linemen."
— Chris Petersen, ESPN, 11-17-2016

"I'm not looking to lay out everything we do here for everybody to see. I think everybody tries to copy us in recruiting anyway. I think if nobody is on a kid and we get on him, then they [start to recruit him, too]. We had that at Boise, too, and it would be frustrating."
— Chris Petersen, ESPN, 11-26-2016

Comments

• Options
    BabsGilbyTawdTyBabsGilbyTawdTy Member Posts: 1,058
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    That last quote from Petersen is the truth.

When word got out UW was recruiting an unknown defensive end named Bryce Sterk a couple years, Don Pellum was soon spotted in Lynden trying to get involved in the kid's recruitment for the Ducks.

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Hopefully he's more athletic than our other project on the OL - Devin Burleson. That guy just doesn't have the lateral movement, quickness and overall athleticism that we need.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Passion said:

Hopefully he's more athletic than our other project on the OL - Devin Burleson. That guy just doesn't have the lateral movement, quickness and overall athleticism that we need.

I disagree about Devin Burleson. The guy is really athletic for how big he is. Check out his high school basketball highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MTFXDrVqpc
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Passion said:

I disagree about Devin Burleson. The guy is really athletic for how big he is. Check out his high school basketball highlights:

From my glimpse of Burleson at spring ball, I'd suggest he stick with basketball because that's what he physically still looks like.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Ali Gaye. He was born in west African nation of Gambia before coming to the U.S.

Checks in at 6-6, 260. Looking at his highlights, he's an unpolished, rangy prospect who, with his frame, could easily carry 290 in another year or so.

Similar situation to Jonathan Kongbo from The Congo via British Columbia. Kongbo was an unheralded high school senior in 2014, signed with Wyoming, transferred to Arizona Western and ended up as the No. 1 JuCo recruit in the country last winter. Had offers from UW and just about every other DI program but chose Tennessee.

The recruiting sites have written little about Gaye, but he claims a half-dozen Pac-12 offers (but not UW). Coach K and Malloe went to see him play a couple weeks ago.

I predict he'll commit shortly before signing day. If Gaye doesn't qualify academically as some have speculated, Pete will stash him at CCSF or some other UW-friendly junior college where the Huskies can get him back in a couple years.

"Bringing (Washington) back to a championship level will be dictated by our ability to recruit and to develop defensive linemen."
    — Chris Petersen, ESPN, 11-17-2016

"I'm not looking to lay out everything we do here for everybody to see. I think everybody tries to copy us in recruiting anyway. I think if nobody is on a kid and we get on him, then they [start to recruit him, too]. We had that at Boise, too, and it would be frustrating."
    — Chris Petersen, ESPN, 11-26-2016

I saw Gaye play a few weeks back. He looks the part but wasn't dominant against inferior competition.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Passion said:

All I see is him being 6'8" and black, and using his size to dominate a bunch of tiny white kids. Nothing super athletic. Trey Adams' high school basketball highlights were much more impressive.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    NEsnake12 said:

All I see is him being 6'8" and black, and using his size to dominate a bunch of tiny white kids. Nothing super athletic. Trey Adams' high school basketball highlights were much more impressive.

Trey Adams is 6'7" so Burleson is only once inch taller. This is the only basketball highlight I can find of Trey Adams and he does not look appreciably more athletic than Burleson in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERuhLI5stE

Also, is Trey Adams not playing against tiny white kids out in Wenatchee?

You're comparing Burleson's athleticism to our best O lineman so if he is even in the realm of Trey Adams then he has potential.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

I don't care what Burleson did on the basketball court. I've watched him in football scrimmages and he looks like he is wearing cement shoes.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Passion said:

Passion said:

I don't care what Burleson did on the basketball court. I've watched him in football scrimmages and he looks like he is wearing cement shoes.
    Not knowing WTF he is doing could have a lot to do with that. Sometimes guys who are very athletic can look downright clumsy when they are thinking too much rather than just playing.

Or he could just be a project who will never pan out at all...
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    AIRWOLF said:

Passion said:

Passion said:

Not knowing WTF he is doing could have a lot to do with that. Sometimes guys who are very athletic can look downright clumsy when they are thinking too much rather than just playing.

Or he could just be a project who will never pan out at all...
    So, either way it will be interesting???
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,449
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Any relation to Marvin?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This thread is shit and you're all fags.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2017

Any relation to Marvin?

Gaye?

Passion said:

He sucks. Stiff. Cant bend at the HIPS. He makes Morgan Roseborough look like Myles Gaskin

Adams is far more athletic and he can play him some football too