Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is altitude a factor?

Comments

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2016
    Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

THE FUCKING LANGUAGE HAS DIFFERENT WORDS WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS FOR A REASON. MISUSE IRONIC AND I WILL FUCKING HUNT YOU DOWN

Irregardless, the point of language is to communicate information. If you ask most any person what the altitude of the mile high city is, they will have a general idea, because the question has a context, and the reference point of sea level is assumed in that context.

Language nazis are a dying breed, which is a good thing, in a language that is evolving all the time. If it wasn't, we'd still all be speaking old english.
    If it "weren't," you fucking clod

Of course the poont of language is to communicate information. But we have established and mutually/generally understood and accepted rules in order to minimize misunderstanding. Taking two words with two separate meanings and deciding to conflate both meanings into just one reduces clarity and increases the likelihood of misunderstanding. It's like people who use ironic for sardonic and sarcastic, even though all three have separate meanings that help make the fucking language so rich and interesting in addition to being clear.

And of course language evolves. But when it evolves too quickly, you get results like that electronic pidgin crap that you see on twitter feeds that screams "I'm fucking lazy and didn't listen in English class!!1!" Evolution for the sake of clarity is one thing; evolution for the sake of laziness is quite another thing, and is deserving of ridicule and correction.

tl;dr fuck off
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    BearsWiin said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

THE FUCKING LANGUAGE HAS DIFFERENT WORDS WITH DIFFERENT MEANINGS FOR A REASON. MISUSE IRONIC AND I WILL FUCKING HUNT YOU DOWN

Irregardless, the point of language is to communicate information. If you ask most any person what the altitude of the mile high city is, they will have a general idea, because the question has a context, and the reference point of sea level is assumed in that context.

Language nazis are a dying breed, which is a good thing, in a language that is evolving all the time. If it wasn't, we'd still all be speaking old english.

Of course the poont of language is to communicate information. But we have established and mutually/generally understood and accepted rules in order to minimize misunderstanding. Taking two words with two separate meanings and deciding to conflate both meanings into just one reduces clarity and increases the likelihood of misunderstanding. It's like people who use ironic for sardonic and sarcastic, even though all three have separate meanings that help make the fucking language so rich and interesting in addition to being clear.

And of course language evolves. But when it evolves too quickly, you get results like that electronic pidgin crap that you see on twitter feeds that screams "I'm fucking lazy and didn't listen in English class!!1!" Evolution for the sake of clarity is one thing; evolution for the sake of laziness is quite another thing, and is deserving of ridicule and correction.

tl;dr fuck off
    So all that, and you didn't even catch Irregardless, which isn't a word according to many language nazis, I even put it in bold for you as a hint.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Can you two tardos argue in PMs so I don't get notifications of it?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

tl;dr fuck off
    So all that, and you didn't even catch Irregardless, which isn't a word according to many language nazis, I even put it in bold for you as a hint.
    @BearsWiin has been around a long time. Guarantee he caught irregardless but it's a mute poont because he realized you were using it ironically.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,297
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I stand with BearsWiin
  • Options
    dnc said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

tl;dr fuck off
    @BearsWiin has been around a long time. Guarantee he caught irregardless but it's a mute poont because he realized you were using it ironically.
    The kid needs some seasoning
  • Options
    Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic
    BearsWiin said:

ALTITUDE IS NEVER A FACTOR IN A FUCKING FOOTBALL GAME BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS PLAYED ON A FUCKING FIELD ON THE GROUND AND NOT UP IN THE FUCKING AIR SOMEWHERE

Main Difference – Altitude vs. Elevation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

It isn't called elevation sickness
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

This is what dumb people say.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Actually, some pretty smart people say it, including professors of linguistics and cognitive science at places like MIT and Harvard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Pinker

Oh, and

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/altitude
    "The absolute height of a location, usually measured from sea level."  

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/elevation
    "The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude."

Yes I'm quoting wikionary, you can research the etymology of both words and they have had a similar meaning for hundreds of years.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

Pete full of shit and he knows it. Said that with his team's goal in mind. Altitude a huge factor. Huge. Hope team leaves thursday to acclimate.

Bear cut the semantics debate. You wasted a lot of time trying to be cute. We all know what a complete waste of time this was, and you came off looking like a bigger bonio than we already see you ass.

I hope you fall down a mountain.
    Fall?
    Your_Mom said:

BearsWiin said:

ALTITUDE IS NEVER A FACTOR IN A FUCKING FOOTBALL GAME BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS PLAYED ON A FUCKING FIELD ON THE GROUND AND NOT UP IN THE FUCKING AIR SOMEWHERE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

It isn't called elevation sickness
    Because everything on the internet is true. Fucking boof.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,863
    Standard Supporter
    Attitude is definitely a factor. Our players need to march right into Provo with a positive attitude, or thei'yre gonna have a long day. I mean, let's face it, the altitude is going to be a major challenge for the Huskys, so they don't need to be making it worse by not having a good attitude about it.
  • Options
    Baphomet said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Actually, some pretty smart people say it, including professors of linguistics and cognitive science at places like MIT and Harvard.

Oh, and

"The distance of a celestial object above the horizon, or the arc of a vertical circle intercepted between it and the horizon; altitude."

Yes I'm quoting wikionary, you can research the etymology of both words and they have had a similar meaning for hundreds of years.
    And then people started fucking flying and the language had to evolve
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    BearsWiin said:

Baphomet said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Oh, and

That must be why the captain always announces the airplane's cruising altitude.

When is the last time they said cruising elevation?

You Fail. I win.
  • Options
    Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Baphomet said:

Baphomet said:

BearsWiin said:

Oh, and

That must be why the captain always announces the airplane's cruising altitude.

When is the last time they said cruising elevation?

You Fail. I win.
    The pilot says cruising altitude because that's the term you use when you're in the fucking air. Elevation is when you're on the fucking ground.

When people started flying instead of being on the fucking ground all the fucking time, the language needed to evolve to differentiate between the two.

Christ
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Can you two tardos argue in PMs so I don't get notifications of it?

Seriously, mods, delete this shit?
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,017
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    BearsWiin said:

The terms altitude and elevation both refer to a height. The two terms have somewhat similar meanings, although there is a difference in where and how the two terms are used. The main difference between altitude and elevation is that the word altitude is used to describe the vertical distance between an object and a reference point whereas elevation is used to describe the height of a place above the sea level.

What is Altitude

Altitude is the height of an object above a reference point or level. The reference level could be defined to be anything, although mean sea level (MSL) or above ground level (AGL) are commonly used. For example, we use the term “altitude” to refer to how high an airplane is flying. This altitude is measured using a device called an altimeter. An altimeter actually a barometer, measuring pressure. However, the higher up above the sea level you are, the less is the pressure you are going to experience (This is because at higher places, the weight of the air pushing down on you is less). Therefore, a barometer can be calibrated to give the height of a point above sea level.

What is Elevation

The term “elevation” is used to refer to the height of a place above the mean sea level. The image below shows a diagram showing how much of the Earth is at various altitudes:
    Difference Between Altitude and Elevation - Elevations_histogram

As mentioned before, at higher elevations, the air is “thinner”. i.e. it is less dense because there is less air pushing down on it. This means that the air pressure as well as the amount of oxygen is less at higher elevations and has important implications for humans. For instance, some people suffer high-altitude sickness (note that although the word altitude is used rather than elevation, in this case, the term generally refers to the height of a place above sea level) where they experience dizziness and shortness of breath.

Altitude refers to the height of an object above a given point.

Elevation refers to the height of a place above the mean sea level.

lmao, altitude/elevation superiority guy here.