Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Phil Bleenor gets FREE PUB! from Ted Miller and ESPN

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/104492/after-12-years-of-futility-washington-ready-to-flip-script-on-oregon
Beating Oregon on Saturday won't move the needle nationally, as the unranked Ducks are presently riding a three-game losing streak and look like a national power in decline. That result, however, would knock down a longstanding and painful emotional barrier built upon a 12-game losing streak. It would be the only way to deliver contentment to the long-suffering soul of the fanbase.

"That's 100 percent correct -- 110 percent correct," said longtime Washington booster Bill Fleenor. "[The losing streak] is the worst. We can handle a loss to USC. We put up with the Cougars one week a year. But we despise Oregon 52 weeks a year."

Fleenor then noted for supporting evidence that, while it would have benefited the Huskies for Oregon to have won at Washington State on Saturday, it was physically impossible for him -- and just about every Washington fan -- to root for Oregon under any circumstances.

"In a lot of ways, it makes no sense," he said. "But most Husky fans won't cut Oregon any slack. We don't have that feeling for any other school, and it isn't going to change, quite frankly."

Fleenor, "a young 65," he said, transfered from Oregon State to Washington after watching the 1969 Apple Cup. He hasn't missed a home game since then. We met in 1999 when I was a writer at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, but things didn't start off great for us. One of my first big stories was a feature lauding then-Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, which was written in nearly complete ignorance of the passion of the Ducks-Huskies rivalry.

His long, frustrated, "Welcome to Seattle... now let me explain something," email response perfectly captured how a highly successful businessman, a rational actor in all areas of his life can be possessed by the passion of college football.

Comments