Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

IMO, except for SlingBlade's fucktardedness, the ducks are actually in good shape. I thought North Dakota played well yesterday, and the running backs are damn fast. The defense has some problems, they seem to lack power and stamina, and their tackling could use some work. In the second half yesterday, they looked a bit gassed and got pushed around. But I thought overall they played well enough to keep them in the game. Nebraska should have given game balls to #SlingBlade, #2pointconversion and #yellowflag.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Oregon can still win the conference!

I hope Colorado skull-fucks us just so I can be right
    Taint happening. Stanford though, maybe.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Watching Oregon and Nebraska was liking watching special kids trying to play football ...

Each team kept trying to one up each other on who could fuck up more.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,529
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Oregon can still win the conference!

I hope Colorado skull-fucks us just so I can be right
    Can I watch?

Asking for Larry Scott....
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You will remember there was a group of us on eDuck that hated the hire to begin with because Slingblade wasn't hired because anyone thought he was a good coach. He was hired to hopefully keep what Chip had going and win a title with Mariota. When people like Bobby Petrino exist and you have Phil Knight's check book you don't gamble.

It almost worked, Mariota won the Heisman, the Ducks smashed FSU in the playoffs, and ran into a buzz saw in the final. Chip wasn't beating Negro Tebow either. When the other team always converts the short yardage you're toast.

Fast forward to now, year four, which was longer than ANYONE involved in the process was ever looking to see how Slingblade would do and it's not great. I see Brady Hoke as great hire to run the defense, but it was two years too late. Slingblade hired Pellum because he didn't have the balls to tell the position guys they didn't have what it takes to coordinate. Rich Brooks knew it, Mike Bellotti knew it, Chip Kelly knew it, and Slingblade fucks it up. Pellum runs the defense into the ground and no matter who is hired they have a three year project in front of them.

Scott Frost leaves, Slingblade does zero due diligence and hires a guy that only has the job he is in because of his dad. He goes from a somebody's kid, to WR coach, to OC with zero experience at what was a Top 10 program. That doesn't happen at a Top 10 program. Then he realizes the mistake and hires David Yost who has an infinitely better resume to coach the QB's but take shots from the guy who is in over his head by default. So, you have a guy that shouldn't be running the offense calling plays and a different guy that should be calling the offense telling the QB how to run the offense.

Tom Osbourne (not the good one) has and will always be a mediocre at best special teams coordinator. When Dirk Koetter doesn't want you then you're not Oregon material.

Oregon will be a 7-5 program in five years if nothing changes. They waited too long to let Mike go once his wife and kids started hitting the sauce but lucked out when he hired Chip. Lightning doesn't strike twice.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's one thing to say that Brady Hoke will be a good hire and say that it will take time because he doesn't have Jimmy's and Joe's ...

But watching the Oregon defense and to say that their tackling fundamentals and that you can absolutely destroy them with misdirection plays is an understatement. Neither are signs of a well coached defense.
  • Options

@Mosster47 , five years to drop to 7-5? You sound like a Husky fan Circa 2001. Without a change at the top, the ducks defense is a sign of things to come, as is the drop off in QB's behind Dakota Fanning. What did the 2015 ducks look like without a functioning VAJ? That drop off to 7-5 or worse happens this year if North Dakota gets broken. If he stays healthy, they will compete for the north and Helf probably keeps his job for another year. Welcome to hell.

That's almost every program. Football success is so QB oriented that most dominant teams would be .500 at best if their starter went down. Clemson, Louisville, Houston, and many others are one snap away from mediocrity. They have something better than Jeff Lockie, but so does Oregon now.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I know you want to hit the panic button, but the most important thing right now is coaching continuity...

These coaches have families to feed. Some of you need to keep that in perspective.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Mosster47 said:

You will remember there was a group of us on eDuck that hated the hire to begin with because Slingblade wasn't hired because anyone thought he was a good coach. He was hired to hopefully keep what Chip had going and win a title with Mariota. When people like Bobby Petrino exist and you have Phil Knight's check book you don't gamble.

It almost worked, Mariota won the Heisman, the Ducks smashed FSU in the playoffs, and ran into a buzz saw in the final. Chip wasn't beating Negro Tebow either. When the other team always converts the short yardage you're toast.

Fast forward to now, year four, which was longer than ANYONE involved in the process was ever looking to see how Slingblade would do and it's not great. I see Brady Hoke as great hire to run the defense, but it was two years too late. Slingblade hired Pellum because he didn't have the balls to tell the position guys they didn't have what it takes to coordinate. Rich Brooks knew it, Mike Bellotti knew it, Chip Kelly knew it, and Slingblade fucks it up. Pellum runs the defense into the ground and no matter who is hired they have a three year project in front of them.

Scott Frost leaves, Slingblade does zero due diligence and hires a guy that only has the job he is in because of his dad. He goes from a somebody's kid, to WR coach, to OC with zero experience at what was a Top 10 program. That doesn't happen at a Top 10 program. Then he realizes the mistake and hires David Yost who has an infinitely better resume to coach the QB's but take shots from the guy who is in over his head by default. So, you have a guy that shouldn't be running the offense calling plays and a different guy that should be calling the offense telling the QB how to run the offense.

Tom Osbourne (not the good one) has and will always be a mediocre at best special teams coordinator. When Dirk Koetter doesn't want you then you're not Oregon material.

Oregon will be a 7-5 program in five years if nothing changes. They waited too long to let Mike go once his wife and kids started hitting the sauce but lucked out when he hired Chip. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Good analysis from a Katz fan.

I'll give Brady Hoke a couple years. The problem Hoke is dealing with comes from him changing Oregon from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3, and terrible DB recruiting.

The front change is a difficult one, especially when the previous coaching staff dropped the ball on D lineman recruiting. So when you increase the number of down lineman when you are already thin at the position causes a problem. I'd like to see the recruiting class this year before I make a final assessment on Hoke.

Let's face it, someone in that coaching staff thought it was a great idea to offer a scholarship to a 5'8" corner when in most games he'll be defending a 6'2" WR. Umadi can have perfect coverage and still not have a chance to make a play on the football.
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Let's face it, someone in that coaching staff thought it was a great idea to offer a scholarship to a 5'8" corner when in most games he'll be defending a 6'2" WR. Umadi can have perfect coverage and still not have a chance to make a play on the football.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Green
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,293
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    A Darrell Green comes around once every 50 years.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

I like how this guy has a groove going as he prepares to blow his brains out