Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tequilla Thoughts: UW vs Rutgers and College Football Week 1

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Auburndoog's Power Rankings >>>>>>> Tequilla's Thoughts

I like them both and wish @Auburndawg poasted here, still.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

Pre-Season Scrimmage #1 A General Success

Easy victory, ability to leave the game in good health, and working through a lot of depth throughout the game. Jumping out 24-0 after the 1st quarter is what you wanted to see. We still won't know how legit this team is though until the conference season starts.

Defense Is As Advertised

Just over 300 yards of offense (304 to be precise) on 88 plays (3.45 yards per play) with the balance of that in the 2nd half against the 2's and the 3's. 10 yards of total offense after 1 quarter. What to look for in the next 2 games will be to see the defense come to the field with the same kind of intensity to close the door before it ever gets started.

Offense A Mixed Bag

As has been discussed, I thought Rutgers really went out of their way to slow down the running game by stacking the box. It opened up a lot of room for Browning in the passing game. One of the things that we talked about throughout the offseason and in looking back at the 2015 season was the lack of big plays in the passing game coupled with his inability to hit the deep ball. That was Rutgers defensive game plan and with John Ross returning, Browning made them play for it. 18 of 27 for 287, 3 TDs, and 1 INT I'd take every game. The INT was poor and was more of just a throw and pray and he missed his spot by about 5-10 yards.

The play calling is something that I think a lot of people will always focus on with Smith at the controls. I've often bitched about the need to dictate matchups to the defense through formation, route combinations, etc. The first TD pass to McClatcher was a great manipulation. There were a few instances in the running game where they were able to get some good plays by how they are shifting pre-snap that personally I don't think they want to completely put as much on tape as possible leading into the first 3 conference games. There was some that I thought was way too cute (i.e. the Budda fly sweep) and some execution issues (going too fast on the 4th and 1 inside the red zone and being a little late calling in the FG leading to a rushed attempt), but all in all, not terrible. The execution in the red zone and on 3rd downs needs to be worked on.

Special teams will lead to continued good field position throughout the year particularly as teams start to kick away from Ross and Pettis.

USC ... LOL

Anybody that thought that Clay Helton wasn't in way over his head, I give you Saturday night. USC will beat some teams because they are USC but the biggest stench of Sark that is left on them is missing OL/DL play and that's going to be their biggest on-field undoing. Bigger question that I have as the season unfolds because I just have a hard time seeing USC going better than 7-5 at this point is at what point do some of their recruits start looking around?

COUGS ... LOL x2

Luke Falk was 41 of 51 for 418 yards and 4 TDs so everything is right in Coug Land ... except for they've rarely understood that to win games you actually have to stop somebody. The Cougs will never be a serious contender as long as they try to out score teams first and foremost. Otherwise they'll just be the team that can beat a decent team here and there but will never have consistency.

Interesting fact: Mike Leach is now 0-5 in season opening games as Wazzu head coach.

PAC 12 Dreck

I was actually somewhat impressed by Arizona's defense against BYU but their offense looked terrible. Oregon State may be more competitive but they are still going to be lucky to win more than 1-2 conference games. Colorado was probably as impressive as anybody else in the conference this weekend. 24 points against Southern Utah isn't a sign that Utah's going to be a tough out ... they need to find some offense in a hurry. UCLA put up a good fight at TAMU but their OL play was brutally bad at times in that game. They're probably the favorite in the South but that's not saying much. Oregon's defense looks like a decided work in progress. My big takeaway from Stanford was that they only had 4 receptions outside of McCaffrey or Rector ... definitely going to be a very questionable offense going forward.

Top 10 Overrated???

Oklahoma was fortunate last year ... they're going to be a 3-4 loss team this year at least. Houston needs Oklahoma to keep winning to make that win look good for them because outside of a late season game against Louisville the rest of the schedule isn't going to make headways. Les Miles should start planning his retirement. Clemson wasn't overly impressive but a road win at Auburn is something you just take and run. Tennessee looked very unimpressive and possibly not ready for the bright lights. Notre Dame and Texas played a mistake filled game that at times looked like a defensively optional game.

Playoff Developments

Good weekend for the Big 10 with Wisconsin getting a notable victory over LSU. No real change so far with the ACC pending Florida State's game against Ole Miss Monday. Big 12 is looking like a 2 loss team will win the league from what I've seen. The PAC's only legitimate contenders at this point for a playoff spot are Stanford and UW. Alabama is Alabama. It's looking like it may be a very, very wide open year.

Good effort. To be honest, I agreed with a lot - not all of it - you had to say.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Auburndoog's Power Rankings >>>>>>> Tequilla's Thoughts

I like them both and wish @Auburndawg poasted here, still.
    While you're reminiscing, we should have Coker invite PurpleDoogFan to the TSIO podcast.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Listing UW as a playoff contender after beating Rutgers is as doog as it gets. Especially if you omit all the other 1-0 teams.

7 PAC teams are 1-0 ... 4 in the North and 3 in the South

Starting with the South, none of them are going to run the table ... you are looking at arguably the bottom half of the South being undefeated. Utah's offensive problems will likely earn them a loss to BYU on Saturday.

Cal's not a legit threat to be a playoff contender ... a bowl game will be good for them and they will lose this weekend to San Diego St. Oregon's defensive issues put me in a position where I do not expect them to be a serious threat ... I will reconsider that position if they go to Nebraska, win, and look good doing so.

That leaves Stanford and UW ... both ranked high enough with expectations that COULD put them in a position if they handle their business .... UW's schedule is SIGNIFICANTLY more manageable than Stanford's
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Listing UW as a playoff contender after beating Rutgers is as doog as it gets. Especially if you omit all the other 1-0 teams.

Starting with the South, none of them are going to run the table ... you are looking at arguably the bottom half of the South being undefeated. Utah's offensive problems will likely earn them a loss to BYU on Saturday.

Cal's not a legit threat to be a playoff contender ... a bowl game will be good for them and they will lose this weekend to San Diego St. Oregon's defensive issues put me in a position where I do not expect them to be a serious threat ... I will reconsider that position if they go to Nebraska, win, and look good doing so.

That leaves Stanford and UW ... both ranked high enough with expectations that COULD put them in a position if they handle their business .... UW's schedule is SIGNIFICANTLY more manageable than Stanford's
    I like to dismiss other teams for their weaknesses while ignoring our own.

I like to do that.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I like to do that.
    UW was a preseason Top 15 team ... only Stanford was rated higher. Of the other undefeated teams in the conference, only Oregon was ranked.

If you want to criticize me for my dismissing of Oregon that's one thing ... but to act like Cal, Colorado, ASU, or Utah are going to go 11-1 is FS.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

I was going to upvote until you called UW a playoff contender.

I didn't call them a contender - my point was that after 1 week there are likely only 2 0 teams in the conference that have any chance to be there in the end
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

It's far too early for UW to be considered a true contender for the PAC-12 title. Husky Football is like premature ejaculation: A lot of early excitement, followed by a disappointing finish.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I like to do that.
    UW was a preseason Top 15 team ... only Stanford was rated higher. Of the other undefeated teams in the conference, only Oregon was ranked.

If you want to criticize me for my dismissing of Oregon that's one thing ... but to act like Cal, Colorado, ASU, or Utah are going to go 11-1 is FS.
    Preseason rankings are worthless, fuck off.

Dismissing Oregon is FS. The fact that you did it while touting the importance of preseason rankings just makes you a biased doog.

Of the 6 other teams left undefeated, all but CU beat UW last year.

UW beat Rutgers.

Against a REAL defense, Browning throws 3 picks, not just 1.

Offense leaves 10 points on the field in the first, which feels like no big deal when you are up big (you mean like the ASU game ;) ???) against a bad team.

Run game got very little push. Maybe Rutgers keyed on that, but the inability to open bigger holes for Gaskin against fucking Rutgers doesn't bode well for conference play.

The cutesy shit like the Baker sweep and the Wildcat needs to fuck off. I have a feeling Smith is gonna stick with it and it will be this year's Lindy Package. But HOW is Petersen a fucktard for hiring that retard?

But go ahead and book your natty tickets...CHRIST.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    What about Central vs Portland?
  • Options
    @ThomasFremont

At what point are you going to talk about the things that UW did right in the first game?

I'm discrediting Oregon because their defense will prove to not be championship quality. Again, that's my opinion and you can disagree with it.

HOWEVER, to look at teams from last year and say that that's the case for the following year is insanely FS. Cal lost the #1 pick in the draft at QB, all of their WRs, and their defense is charmin soft. Utah lost the balance of their entire offense from last year. ASU is very mediocre and lost a ton of pieces on both sides of the ball. So yes, I'm discrediting them from the National picture.

I'm not dooging out at all about the UW performance against Rutgers. They won easily against an overmatched opponent. That's what they're supposed to do. Let's see what they do against Arizona before we even think of either crowning them or claiming that they fucking suck.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

@ThomasFremont

At what point are you going to talk about the things that UW did right in the first game?

I'm discrediting Oregon because their defense will prove to not be championship quality. Again, that's my opinion and you can disagree with it.

HOWEVER, to look at teams from last year and say that that's the case for the following year is insanely FS. Cal lost the #1 pick in the draft at QB, all of their WRs, and their defense is charmin soft. Utah lost the balance of their entire offense from last year. ASU is very mediocre and lost a ton of pieces on both sides of the ball. So yes, I'm discrediting them from the National picture.

I'm not dooging out at all about the UW performance against Rutgers. They won easily against an overmatched opponent. That's what they're supposed to do. Let's see what they do against Arizona before we even think of either crowning them or claiming that they fucking suck.

It's not that they didn't do some things right. Obviously they won, and are much better than Rutgers. I never said they sucked. I said you were an idiot for putting them into the playoff picture after beating Rutgers.

11-1 with this schedule does not get into the playoff unless every other team has 2+ losses. OOC is fucking trash, and so is the conference. You just made the case for me that all those teams except for Stanford are bad.

Including UW in any playoff scenario based on this game is doog 101.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I like to do that.

So when Oregon wins number 13, you won't be butthurt though, right?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    A prediction: Utah will lose to BYU Saturday. And still win the South.
  • Options
    The Selection Committee has long stated that they do not favor 2 teams from the same conference making it into the Final Four ...

I'm not saying that UW is a Top 4 team at this point ... what I am saying is that of the teams that could make it to the Final Four out of the PAC, the only 2 realistic candidates that I see are Stanford and UW.

It's not that hard to understand.

Personally, I don't think that the PAC will be in the Final Four this year.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,632
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like Tequila better than most of the try hard fags that post here. So fuck off.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My takeaway from watching 5 minutes of the game. Browning sucks. He threw what should have been a pick 6 in that time but the defender plays for Rutgers so he sucked more.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

It's far too early for UW to be considered a true contender for the PAC-12 title. Husky Football is like premature ejaculation: A lot of early excitement, followed by a disappointing finish.
    Sounds like you care