Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I see @DerekJohnson is just as humorless as ever
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I see @DerekJohnson is just as humorless as ever

I'm such a drag to be around
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The NC State player that commented on Russ is a fucking moron. Yeah, it's really commendable to get rid of a great QB.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    All of the anti-12 comments from actual Seattle residents was a nice touch.

Especially the one about those mouth-breathers always starting the fucking Sea-Hawks! chant all over the place (baseball games, Light Rail trains, concerts, restaurants). Someone started one at a wedding I went to and outed the 10 biggest fucktards in the crowd.

I just rolled my eyes.

Anyone that actually grew up in Seattle gives zero fucks about the Seahawks relative to the other teams. Back in the day this was a UW football and Sonics town, with the magical '95 Mariners thrown in. Then there was the Thunderbirds and the Seahawks. They sucked. Nobody cared. Except blue collar lumberyard types from Kent or Lynnwood. I couldn't name more than 1 or 2 Seahawks before Holmgren came to town.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Especially the one about those mouth-breathers always starting the fucking Sea-Hawks! chant all over the place (baseball games, Light Rail trains, concerts, restaurants). Someone started one at a wedding I went to and outed the 10 biggest fucktards in the crowd.

I just rolled my eyes.

Anyone that actually grew up in Seattle gives zero fucks about the Seahawks relative to the other teams. Back in the day this was a UW football and Sonics town, with the magical '95 Mariners thrown in. Then there was the Thunderbirds and the Seahawks. They sucked. Nobody cared. Except blue collar lumberyard types from Kent or Lynnwood. I couldn't name more than 1 or 2 Seahawks before Holmgren came to town.

Galloway! Frieze! Blades!
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    edited August 2016
    This from Brian:

I’ve lived in Seattle for 6 years now, the perfect amount of time to witness the sheer bandwagonry of this fan base. I’ll admit when I first arrived, I thought the 12th man was pretty neat and the stadium was pretty cool. But then I went and saw the Giants play a Matt Hassalbeck-less Seahawks team, and go up 28-0 before halftime. There were only Giants fans left in the building at that point. 12th Man my ass. It was a time of normalcy in the Emerald City and it was wonderful.

Then these assholes get a Super Bowl and it’s been horrifying ever since. I can’t walk five feet without seeing a stupid 12th man flag. Every Friday I’m subjected to “Blue Friday” at work where these people wear their jerseys to work. 50% of them can’t answer who was QB prior to Wilson (I actually conducted this test last week in prep for this article). These fans are so brutal they showed up to opening night for the Mariners, the first game for Cano, in SEAHAWKS JERSEYS and chanted their stupid SEA-HAWKS chant. Then Russell Wilson threw out the first pitch and the attendance level dropped. These fans are the NFL’s version of new money; loud, obnoxious, high on their own farts, and completely unprepared for dealing with their new found success.

Don’t buy the hype; only a fraction of this fanbase are true believers. The rest were a tipped ball away from buying Kaepernick jerseys.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just rolled my eyes.

The Chuck Knox Hawks were a big deal
  • Options
    This from Bryan:

Ninety percent of our fan base actually believes it is on the team and they get that warm feeling when Carroll gives a shout out to the ‘Twelves’.

But even worse are the numerous guys like this shitbird on Twitter posting about Kam Chancellor’s holdout last year. I am pretty sure he jacks off while wearing only a recently purchased ‘12' jersey, holding a picture of Russell Wilson, Pete Carroll and John Schneider, and saying this over and over while staring at himself in a full length mirror:
  • Options
    This from Mark (DDY):
    I was on a flight in May from Seattle to LA, with a 50-year-old man in a Seahawks jersey, sweatpants, and what appeared to be grass and shit stained New Balances. At cruising altitude, the carnival barker attempted to start a slurred “Seahawks” chant. That was one of the few moments in my life as a passenger when I wanted the pilot to torpedo the plane into Mount Rainier.

These type of degenerates are all too common thanks to Alaska Airlines permitting early boarding for Seattle-departing flights if you’re wearing a Russell Wilson jersey during football season. These dipshits are already sitting practically in the lavatory of the plane, and now have the distinct pleasure of shoving their duffel bags in the overhead compartments 20 rows up from where they’re sitting. Deadbeat dads forgo child support payments to instead buy a Wilson jersey and board early for once in their worthless life. Alaska Airlines has found a remarkable way of rewarding failure. The Seatac Airport now looks like a giant casting for “Where are they now” edition for every high school fuckup.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I just rolled my eyes.

The Chuck Knox Hawks were a big deal
    Who?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Flagged for deadspin.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2016
    Baseman said:

This from Mark (DDY):
    I was on a flight in May from Seattle to LA, with a 50-year-old man in a Seahawks jersey, sweatpants, and what appeared to be grass and shit stained New Balances. At cruising altitude, the carnival barker attempted to start a slurred “Seahawks” chant. That was one of the few moments in my life as a passenger when I wanted the pilot to torpedo the plane into Mount Rainier.

These type of degenerates are all too common thanks to Alaska Airlines permitting early boarding for Seattle-departing flights if you’re wearing a Russell Wilson jersey during football season. These dipshits are already sitting practically in the lavatory of the plane, and now have the distinct pleasure of shoving their duffel bags in the overhead compartments 20 rows up from where they’re sitting. Deadbeat dads forgo child support payments to instead buy a Wilson jersey and board early for once in their worthless life. Alaska Airlines has found a remarkable way of rewarding failure. The Seatac Airport now looks like a giant casting for “Where are they now” edition for every high school fuckup.

Alaska Airlines Field at Husky Stadium (commonly known as simply Husky Stadium) is an outdoor football stadium on the campus of the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, United States. It has been the home of the Washington Huskies of the Pac-12 Conference since 1920, hosting its football games. The university holds its annual commencement at the stadium in June. It is located at the southeastern corner of campus, between Montlake Boulevard N.E. and Union Bay, just north of the Montlake Cut.

The stadium most recently underwent a $280 million renovation that was completed in 2013.[4] Its U-shaped design was specifically oriented (18.167° south of due east) to minimize glare from the early afternoon sun in the athletes' eyes.[6] The open end overlooks scenic Lake Washington and the Cascade Mountains, including Mount Rainier. Prior to the 2011–13 renovation, its total capacity of 72,500 made it the largest stadium in the Pacific Northwest and the 23rd largest in college football.

Contents [hide]
    1 History
    1.1 The Wave
    1.2 Crowd noise
    1.3 Tailgating
    1.4 2011–2013 renovation
    2 Seattle Seahawks
    3 NFL exhibition games
    4 References
    4.1 Further reading
    5 External links
    History[edit]
    The original stadium was built in 1920[7] by Puget Sound Bridge and Dredging Company with a seating capacity of 30,000. The first game at the stadium was the final game of the 1920 season, a 28–7 loss to Dartmouth on November 27. Husky Stadium replaced Denny Field, which was located on the north end of upper campus, south of the intersection of NE 45th St. and 20th Ave. NE.

Husky Stadium has gone through four remodels (two major, two minor) to expand the seating capacity. Just three years after its construction, the stadium was the site of President Warren Harding's final address before his unexpected death. In 1936, 10,000 seats were added around the rim. In 1950, an upper deck of 15,000 covered seats was added to the south side – the new structure covered a portion of the lower seats.[8]

An aerial view of Husky Stadium as seen the day before the start of the 2011 renovation project.
    "Go Huskies" and the "W" logo were painted on the
    north and south decks in September 2008.[9]
    In 1968, a few thousand more seats were added along the rim. In 1987, 13,000 covered seats were added with the upper deck on the north side.[10] Similar to the south side with a cantilevered steel roof, this structure also covered a portion of the lower seats. The 1987 construction project made headlines in February when the first version of the grandstand collapsed.[11][12]

Husky Stadium was a primary venue for the 1990 Goodwill Games, where the crowd saw an address by former President Ronald Reagan, as well as an address by Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a performance by the Moody Blues & Gorky Park. The stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as the track & field competition.

Following the ceiling tile incident at the Kingdome in July 1994, Husky Stadium was the temporary home of the Seattle Seahawks for five games (two pre-season and three regular season) in 1994. After the demolition of the Kingdome in March 2000, the Seahawks played at Husky Stadium for two seasons, 2000 and 2001, then moved into Seahawks Stadium (now CenturyLink Field) for the 2002 season.

The playing field at Husky Stadium was originally dirt, replaced with natural grass in 1938.[13] In 1968, Washington became one of the first major college teams to play on AstroTurf; at the time the Houston Astrodome and Neyland Stadium at Tennessee were the only major facilities to use the surface. The AstroTurf at Husky Stadium was replaced in 1972, 1977, 1987, and 1995.[6] The next generation of synthetic turf, FieldTurf, was installed in 2000, paid for by the Seattle Seahawks. The first of its kind in the NFL, the surface was so popular with the players that the Seahawks, who had planned to use natural grass at what is now CenturyLink Field, instead installed their own FieldTurf surface in the new stadium. The university replaced the field after nine seasons in 2009.[14]

Husky Stadium under construction in 1920 in front of Union Bay
    In addition to the new playing surface, other improvements were made to the stadium by the Seahawks before it became an NFL venue for two seasons. A larger scoreboard, with a 23' x 42' "HuskyTron" video screen, debuted in 1998. Improved lighting for television, including corner lights, was added in 1999, and official NFL goalposts (optic yellow, 40' (12.2 m) in height) were installed in 2000.

During the 1980s and early 1990s the end zones were painted gold. Starting in 1995 the endzones became purple, then were changed to natural green in 2000 with the FieldTurf installation. This last lasted until 2009 when the endzones reverted to gold. Purple end zones saw a return in the 2010 season. The endzones were temporarily painted black to coincide with the Huskies' first "blackout" game on November 18th, 2010 against UCLA.

On September 3, 2015, Alaska Airlines purchased naming rights to the field, naming it Alaska Airlines field at Husky Stadium for $41 million, the largest of its kind in college athletics.[15]

The Wave[edit]
    See also: Wave (audience)

Pre-renovation Husky Stadium with the open end to the lake and the Seattle downtown and Space Needle visible on the horizon to the top right.
    Many claim that the first audience wave originated in Husky Stadium on Halloween 1981, at the prompting of Dave Hunter (Husky band trumpet player). Contrary to Hunter's account, former Washington yell leader Robb Weller has also claimed credit for the first wave. Weller was the guest yell-king during the Huskies' homecoming football game against the Stanford Cardinal (led by junior quarterback John Elway). His initial concept for the wave was for it to travel vertically, from the bottom of the stands to the top, within the UW student section. He claimed to have done this at games when he was yell king. When that was met with limited interest, he then came up with the idea to move the wave from top to bottom. This failed miserably, as it was necessary to turn backward to see the wave progressing downward. Weller then gave up and returned his attention to the game. However, some fan named Omar Parker sitting on the open (East) end of the stadium on the student side started yelling "sideways". Weller did not hear him, but then many students tried to initiate a "sideways" wave on their own. After a few attempts, and more yelling of "sideways" by students, Weller took notice. He instructed the crowd to stand as he ran past. _He moved along the track toward the open end of the stadium, explaining to the student crowd what he would do, then ran along the track toward the closed end of the stadium, in front of the student section. After a couple of tries, this caught on, and continued around the entire Husky Stadium, and was repeated throughout the rest of the game and the season. Longtime UW band director Bill Bissell also claimed co-creator credit with Weller, suggesting that the wave was devised by both of them prior to the game. The following week Bill Scott (known as "Bill the Beer Man") started the wave in Husky Stadium and then also started it at the Seattle Seahawks professional football game in the Kingdome and has been a staple of sports ever since.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Flagged for deadspin.

I accept this, even though WYTS is the only good thing Deadspin does.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,015
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

This from Mark (DDY):

is this true? i dont fly alaska (nb4 airlinesuperiorityguy, its a nice regional carrier for the pnw, dont get me wrong) but they really let you bored early if you have a russ wilson jersey on?
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Flagged for deadspin.

I accept this, even though WYTS is the only good thing Deadspin does.
    haie said:
    You really should give @DerekJohnson a trigger warning first.