Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Offseason natty on fleek

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Phil Steele's 13 biggest CFB surprise teams for 2016
Almost any College Football Playoff projection for 2016 starts with last year's finalists, Alabama and Clemson.

But what are the teams that could stun the college football universe and make a playoff run?

Here are my 13 biggest potential surprise teams for 2016 -- plus a bonus long-shot pick.

1. Washington Huskies

Florida State was my No. 1 surprise team in 2013 and the Seminoles won the national title. Washington is coming off a 7-6 season. The Huskies were very young last year (nine returning starters, No. 107 on my experience ratings chart). They had a true freshman QB and a tough schedule. They got a key road win over a ranked USC and later won the Apple Cup to get to six wins. This year they are much more experienced with 15 returning starters. They lose only six lettermen off a defense that allowed 18.8 points per game in 2015. Wide receiver John Ross is their most explosive playmaker and he returns after missing 2015 with an injury. They have a 1,000-yard rusher in Myles Gaskin, a QB with experience and a veteran offensive line. They are a complete team with my No. 19-rated special-teams unit. Husky Stadium is one of the loudest venues in the country and they have seven home games this year, including Stanford and USC. Coaches usually hit their stride in Year 3 with three recruiting classes, their systems and philosophies firmly implemented. Chris Petersen is an excellent on-field coach with an overall record of 107-24, and the Huskies' schedule drops from my fifth-toughest slate in 2015 to No. 56 this year. They are my pick to win the rugged Pac-12 North and that gives them a great shot at getting into the 2016 playoff.
link

Comments

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,186
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Almost any College Football Playoff projection for 2016 starts with last year's finalists, Alabama and Clemson.

But what are the teams that could stun the college football universe and make a playoff run?

Here are my 13 biggest potential surprise teams for 2016 -- plus a bonus long-shot pick.

1. Washington Huskies

Florida State was my No. 1 surprise team in 2013 and the Seminoles won the national title. Washington is coming off a 7-6 season. The Huskies were very young last year (nine returning starters, No. 107 on my experience ratings chart). They had a true freshman QB and a tough schedule. They got a key road win over a ranked USC and later won the Apple Cup to get to six wins. This year they are much more experienced with 15 returning starters. They lose only six lettermen off a defense that allowed 18.8 points per game in 2015. Wide receiver John Ross is their most explosive playmaker and he returns after missing 2015 with an injury. They have a 1,000-yard rusher in Myles Gaskin, a QB with experience and a veteran offensive line. They are a complete team with my No. 19-rated special-teams unit. Husky Stadium is one of the loudest venues in the country and they have seven home games this year, including Stanford and USC. Coaches usually hit their stride in Year 3 with three recruiting classes, their systems and philosophies firmly implemented. Chris Petersen is an excellent on-field coach with an overall record of 107-24, and the Huskies' schedule drops from my fifth-toughest slate in 2015 to No. 56 this year. They are my pick to win the rugged Pac-12 North and that gives them a great shot at getting into the 2016 playoff.
    link

huh?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let's just concentrate on winning our opener against who ever it is we are playing
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Let's just concentrate on winning our opener against who ever it is we are playing

At Arizona, September 24
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,583
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

That shit cray how fleek and lit this bitch be. Bout ta get turnt.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION
  • Options
    SuperMariotaBaileySuperMariotaBailey Member Posts: 32
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,498
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

We are playing against USC at Dallas Cowboy stadium. Shouldn't be a big deal.
    Well played
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DeepSeaZ said:

I drank my way through last 15 season. Am I just supposed to stop drinking and pay attention now?

No. Never.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    We want doog it up!
    We want doog it up!
    We want doog it up!
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,237
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited July 2016
    dnc said:

1. Washington Huskies

Fixed LINK
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2016

dnc said:

1. Washington Huskies

Fixed LINK

Some things are better left broken.