Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How much better does the offense really need to be for us to win 10 games this year?

ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
edited July 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Assuming that the defense produces about the same numbers as last year, how much better does the offense really need to be for us to win 10 games this year?

Below is a list of our losses from last year:
Boise State 13-16
Cal 24-30
Oregon 20-26
Stanford 14-31
Utah 23-34
Arizona State 17-27

Other than Stanford and Utah I think that we win all those games if our offense is even slightly better. My expectations for next year are that every offensive position group improves a little bit with the biggest jump being the QB/WR productivity (because fuck Brent Pease and Smith is coaching for his life). O Line should be slightly better and I would say that the run game takes a big step forward except I think we still won't give Gaskin the ball enough.

When I look at our schedule next year I see 4 tough games: 1) At Autzen against a probably worse Ducks team. 2) Stanford with a new QB and a few players lost off the defense & offense. 3) A talented SC team with a new QB. 4) Koogs in Pullman.

Other than the Cougs I think all of those teams are probably a bit worse than they were last year. Assuming we? split those 4 games we have 10 wins right there. 10 wins seems like the bar that most people have set for this upcoming season and it looks pretty reasonable to me.

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,264
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Flagged for implying that a 10 win season is good.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Didn't you move to Citrus County, Florida?
  • Options

Didn't you move to Citrus County, Florida?
    It wasn't a MOVE.

I made a pilgrimage to honor our @Owen12 brothers
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Average loss was 8.3 points per loss. 2016 offense will be 14 points better per game. 12-0 mother fuckers! Happy 4th!
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    Offensively, I can see an argument for improvement at each position group, but I would also say each group is thin enough that one key injury could cause a significant regression.

Defensively, DeathRow is loaded overall, but I still worry about who's going to rush the QB. Mathis has been wildly inconsistent. Johnson seems to be making strides, but at 280# I don't know if he'll be quick enough to be an effective edge rusher in the nickel. I had expected to hear a lot about Potato and ChiefJusticeEarlWarren this spring, and instead heard nothing. Rice? Sterk? A couple young guys need to step up as edge rushers, because we* are straight fuckt every time Psalm Wooching sets foot on the field.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fucking Browning
  • Options

Fucking Brownshorts

• Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club
    I chincredibled because it was a fact-based measured rant.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    To the discussion, I would only add, A lot.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    SC in November in Seattle. I don't think that's happened in @RaceBannon 's lifetime.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Have anything else you'd like to add in a separate poast, @AEB?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Fucking Peterman.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,181
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TTJ said:

Offensively, I can see an argument for improvement at each position group, but I would also say each group is thin enough that one key injury could cause a significant regression.

Defensively, DeathRow is loaded overall, but I still worry about who's going to rush the QB. Mathis has been wildly inconsistent. Johnson seems to be making strides, but at 280# I don't know if he'll be quick enough to be an effective edge rusher in the nickel. I had expected to hear a lot about Potato and ChiefJusticeEarlWarren this spring, and instead heard nothing. Rice? Sterk? A couple young guys need to step up as edge rushers, because we* are straight fuckt every time Psalm Wooching sets foot on the field.

Are you new here? Potato's peak their junior year in high school....we have people that thought he would actually play?
  • Options

Also - our offense is not going to be good until Pete butts the fuck out of it and gets an OC who isn't a yes man holding his pencils while he tries to recreate the Kellen Moore days.

I think Pete is an outstanding CEO, but until he gets pushed out of the offensive game-planning by a dude who cares about the team we HAVE not the team we WANT (a/k/a - Kellen Moore), we are going to be fucked.

Pete has consistently over-reached to do it 'his way'. I think over-reaching is an algorithm, not an issue solved by time.

For instance, I think Pete will simply continue to over-reach on offense. He will see whatever we can do and want to go past that. He won't play to our strengths, he will always remember how it was with Kellen Moore and try to recreate that as the 'right way' to do it.

He won't look at what the offense actually *IS* and design a plan for that.

It's a funny thing, but the 'culture' showed up on defense almost immediately under Pete. But the offense—where he's supposed to be a fucking genius—has been slow to arrive.

Primarily because it's not a cultural problem. It's a problem that he's been trying to re-create the KM years with yes-men OC's since Moore's been gone and it's a fucking slap dick idea that has nothing to do with winning.

But how is Peterman a bad head coach?
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The offense is not "good enuff" until teams are scared to play defense because everybody knows we're gonna score and Peterman is accused of running up the score each and every week.