Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jim Delany sez "Bring on the NFL Minor League, motherfuckers!"

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
edited September 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday that Division I football and basketball might be better served by following Major League Baseball's model, in that players are allowed to sign professionally right out of high school.

"Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks," Delany said. "If they're not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness and establish it on your own. But don't come here and say, 'We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000.' Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don't ask us what we've been doing.

"I think we ought to work awful hard with the NFL and the NBA to create an opportunity for those folks. We have it in baseball, we have it in golf, works pretty good, we have it in golf, we have it in hockey. Why don't we have it in football, basketball? Why is it our job to be minor leagues for professional sports?"
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9723411/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-discusses-possible-football-basketball-changes (not citrus)

A follow-up idea:
Maybe NFL teams can have an underclassmen draft to buy the rights to college players for a fixed price of $25K/year. The players are still eligible for their college team but if they are NFL-worthy they will get paid. This would make the NFL pay something for their unofficial minor league, not cost universities anything, and prevent any Title IX issues.
This is something that has promise. The fucktarded aspect of the "APU" movement is that most college players, even in Division IA, are never going to get paid to play again. The degrees they will earn from their respective universities will help them move on in life, and the total package these guys get (think training table, trainers/coaches, room/board and tuition) already is over 100K per year.

Also, there is no way you could pay CFB athletes and not pay all other athletes. To say nothing of what this would mean for the Eastern Washingtons and Linfield Colleges of the world, whose athletes do not get so much as a sniff from the NFL or any other pro leagues, generally speaking.

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Let the players make whatever side income they want. Autographs, fruit baskets, washing cars for boosters, whatever.

No Title IX problems and the players who deserve the cash will get it.

Delany can die in a fucking fire as always. He makes $2.8 million a year off these student-athletes.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Let the players make whatever side income they want. Autographs, fruit baskets, washing cars for boosters, whatever.
    I can live with that as well. OTOH, the latest Sports Illustrated-driven cuntdrivel such as this:

makes me worry that they (cue black helicopters) are going to destroy college football in order to save it.
    AZDuck said:

I can live with that as well. OTOH, the latest Sports Illustrated-driven cuntdrivel such as this:

makes me worry that they (cue black helicopters) are going to destroy college football in order to save it.

Just like the BCS was going to destroy college football, or a bigger playoff will destroy college football?

The only way the NCAA can fuck up college football is to try to overenforce the rules. Open the floodgates and let the big programs dominate just like they do today.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Every pro league has some detailed rules on compensation. The NCAA pro-lite league would be no different. It also has the potential to bankrupt most programs, extend that out to all programs if we were to extend out to paying women's basketball and lacrosse players.

I don't really give much of a shit about the Cedar Rapids Kernels or the Beloit Snapping Turtles in single A baseball, and if enough colleges walked away from CFB it would make CFB less interesting as well.

Letting players earn on the side has potential. Someone would still be regulating it, though.
    AZDuck said:

Every pro league has some detailed rules on compensation. The NCAA pro-lite league would be no different. It also has the potential to bankrupt most programs, extend that out to all programs if we were to extend out to paying women's basketball and lacrosse players.

I don't really give much of a shit about the Cedar Rapids Kernels or the Beloit Snapping Turtles in single A baseball, and if enough colleges walked away from CFB it would make CFB less interesting as well.

Letting players earn on the side has potential. Someone would still be regulating it, though.

Why? Olympians aren't regulated and it works just fine.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    I'm with sven. If Johnny Football can sell his likeness, or his autograph, let him sell it. WTF are we afraid of?

But most college athletic departments operate at a net loss as it is. Paying a university-funded salary to even a select handful of athletes in the revenue-positive sports would completely bankrupt a lot of athletic departments, wiping out lots of opportunities for lots of athletes.

Athletes in the revenue-positive sports have always been lavished with better facilities, better tutoring, and better perks overall than athletes in the revenue-negative sports. Quid pro quo.

The APU movement profoundly underestimates the value of a college education. While a lot of their classmates are borrowing themselves into financial ruin, these athletes are getting a free education that will dramatically enhance their lifetime earning potential. They should STFU.
    TTJ said:

I'm with sven. If Johnny Football can sell his likeness, or his autograph, let him sell it. WTF are we afraid of?

But most college athletic departments operate at a net loss as it is. Paying a university-funded salary to even a select handful of athletes in the revenue-positive sports would completely bankrupt a lot of athletic departments, wiping out lots of opportunities for lots of athletes.

Athletes in the revenue-positive sports have always been lavished with better facilities, better tutoring, and better perks overall than athletes in the revenue-negative sports. Quid pro quo.

The APU movement profoundly underestimates the value of a college education. While a lot of their classmates are borrowing themselves into financial ruin, these athletes are getting a free education that will dramatically enhance their lifetime earning potential. They should STFU.

So you're fine with the coaches and ADs getting fat salaries, while the players who actually earn the revenue have to share it with the ladies?

Only in America would a terrorist support a Reverse Robin Hood system.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    edited September 2013

So you're fine with the coaches and ADs getting fat salaries, while the players who actually earn the revenue have to share it with the ladies?

ADs are overpaid. No argument there.

I'm actually fine with paying market rates to go get the best coaches for your golden goose revenue programs. Whatever it takes to keep those teams successful, so they can keep the whole athletic department afloat. That's how this is all supposed to work. Those teams (and the athletes who play on them) get the perks.

Do you know what the most generous donor demographic is among college alumni? Athletes from non-revenue sports. By a wide margin, actually. Supporting non-revenue sports programs isn't just to please the Title-Niners. It's in the university's long-term financial interest.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    AZDuck said:

makes me worry that they (cue black helicopters) are going to destroy college football in order to save it. Great shot of Jonny Heisman's cuntwaffle, as always
    TTJ said:

ADs are overpaid. No argument there.

I'm actually fine with paying market rates to go get the best coaches for your golden goose revenue programs. Whatever it takes to keep those teams successful, so they can keep the whole athletic department afloat. That's how this is all supposed to work. Those teams (and the athletes who play on them) get the perks.

Do you know what the most generous donor demographic is among college alumni? Athletes from non-revenue sports. By a wide margin, actually. Supporting non-revenue sports programs isn't just to please the Title-Niners. It's in the university's long-term financial interest.
    I'm fine with paying market rates for the coaches too.

I would just expand that to the players because this is America, dammit.