Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Murphy to start out at WR?

And Gilchrist to safety. Will Murphy ever make it back to defense?

Comments

• Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Where is this info coming from?
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    It seems like that is the spot where we have the most need for him. I think the Myles Bryant pick up is so big for that reason. Bryant is a really good player but will need a few years before he sees the field. Having him gives us the ability to use Murphy on offense without the risk of having a hole in the roster for the secondary 2 years down the road.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,455
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Murphy can play both ways, and considering the depth and talent at the positions, I can see him at WR more than CB this season.

However, if he were playing strictly CB, I could see him passing Gardenhire this fall.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

It is a bit of inference based on the depth chart and Lake's comments on Murphy's highlight video.

I think it is reasonable speculation.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    AIRWOLF said:

It is a bit of inference based on the depth chart and Lake's comments on Murphy's highlight video.

I think it is reasonable speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting on offense at some point and time, which would make the receiver group more than pedestrian. Ross, Murphy Renfro And Daniels (Lenius and Dr Feelgood's BFF) may be enough to give Gaskin room to rush for 1800 yards. Does he ever see the defensive side of the ball again if he moves?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Murphy has quick feet, cuts on a dime and one of the coaches raved about his ball skills (think it was Lake). Watch his highlights and you can see how fundamentally polished he is catching passes. He's over 6' and we probably all agree that uw needs a decent sized wr with some play making ability.

We* have a bunch of good cover guys and brought in a couple of other candidates along with Murphy who don't look nearly as good at receiver. There's only one dangerous receiver on the roster who sat out last season with a bad knee and he hasn't been heavily used as an offensive player yet at UW.

Murphy is going to play receiver. You heard it here first (more like 10th but still).

• Options
    chuck said:

Murphy has quick feet, cuts on a dime and one of the coaches raved about his ball skills (think it was Lake). Watch his highlights and you can see how fundamentally polished he is catching passes. He's over 6' and we probably all agree that uw needs a decent sized wr with some play making ability.

We* have a bunch of good cover guys and brought in a couple of other candidates along with Murphy who don't look nearly as good at receiver. There's only one dangerous receiver on the roster who sat out last season with a bad knee and he hasn't been heavily used as an offensive player yet at UW.

Murphy is going to play receiver. You heard it here first (more like 10th but still).

I'm not as down on Renfro as some people seem to be. Yeah, he didn't get as many reps as he probably should have given the three guys ahead of him, but between being a Freshman and Pease being his position coach, I can give him a pass on that.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

chuck said:

I'm not as down on Renfro as some people seem to be. Yeah, he didn't get as many reps as he probably should have given the three guys ahead of him, but between being a Freshman and Pease being his position coach, I can give him a pass on that.

I'm fine with Renfro but I don't think he's exceptional in any way. He has decent size but not great and isnt fast. He's not going to intimidate any defenses as a big play threat. There needs to be more than one wr on the roster who can burn an aggressive defense deep or take a screen or quick slant and turn it into a big gain.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Murphy is not very big at all. IMO, he has a ways to go to play WR in the P12. Also, I'm not sure how fast he is. He never ran track in HS, so it's hard to gauge. But I like his chances on the 50/50 balls.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Murphy doesn't look like a natural WR to me ... looks way more natural playing defense.

I think Renfro has a chance to be a good one ... he may have been the only WR on our roster last year that I thought really looked the part. I could see him taking a sizable leap forward next year and being a consistent starter opposite Pettis.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know Renfro was a freshman, but 25 receptions is probably more likely than 50. He's a solid player, but I agree with Chuck that he's probably not exceptional.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Something interesting that I saw in the s+p stat drop was that Renfro has a really high catch to target percentage. Jaydon, Pettis, and Hall had shitty ratios whereas the tight ends did pretty well, so that gives me some hope that he has enough physicality and that he'll turn out ok.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    Founders Club

Something interesting that I saw in the s+p stat drop was that Renfro has a really high catch to target percentage. Jaydon, Pettis, and Hall had shitty ratios whereas the tight ends did pretty well, so that gives me some hope that he has enough physicality and that he'll turn out ok.

I believe Lenius had the highest catch ratio FWIW
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,455
    AEB said:

If that's true, it just shows how shitty he is at running routes and getting open.
  • Options
    AEB said:

Not quite. He near the top of the non-TEs. Renfro was actually slightly higher, but was targeted half as often as Lenius.

AEB said:

If that's true, it just shows how shitty he is at running routes and getting open.
    And yes.

Lenius played a lot of snaps as basically a starting WR who was never out with injury, but was only targeted 35 times in 13 games.

Compare that to D. Washington who split time at running back and missed all of five games, but was targeted 30 times.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    AIRWOLF said:

AEB said:

Not quite. He near the top of the non-TEs. Renfro was actually slightly higher, but was targeted half as often as Lenius.

AEB said:

And yes.

Lenius played a lot of snaps as basically a starting WR who was never out with injury, but was only targeted 35 times in 13 games.

Compare that to D. Washington who split time at running back and missed all of five games, but was targeted 30 times.
    And knew how to find the first down marker.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Fuck Lenius. He is a huge pussy that doesn't think or care.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,009
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Murphy's hands are stiffer then Fatters' cock after a chili cook off.
    His will to play WR is smaller then Smiffs IQ