Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW vs Utah gamethread [5:30pm, ESPNU]

124»

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Don't think we have to worry about Murray and Chriss turning pro any time soon.

Chriss I agree. Murray will absolutely have the option, it's just gonna be up to him.
    If that's what a next year pro looks like, the NBA is fucked.
    tony wroten who couldn't shoot FT's or use his right hand was a 1st round pick. HTH
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    Jakob is a solid player. That's a tough loss though. Script says we* get swept on the road in LA and season goes into tailspin. Maybe we* get hot and win P12 tourney but more than likely TSIO.

Really couldn't afford to lose that one. Also AA seemed checked out and uninterested. For a 5th year leader and P12 leading scorer, it hurts.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Jakob is a solid player. That's a tough loss though. Script says we* get swept on the road in LA and season goes into tailspin. Maybe we* get hot and win P12 tourney but more than likely TSIO.

if this one loss ends the season it was over before this anyway.
    Which it probably already was
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Gladstone said:

With all the talent on the floor that's unconscionable -- but you're probably right.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

dhdawg said:

Gladstone said:

With all the talent on the floor that's unconscionable -- but you're probably right.
    they've proven nothing on the road. a win over WSU doesn't count
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,113
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

HuskyInAZ said:

dnc said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Don't think we have to worry about Murray and Chriss turning pro any time soon.

Chriss I agree. Murray will absolutely have the option, it's just gonna be up to him.
    If that's what a next year pro looks like, the NBA is fucked.
    tony wroten who couldn't shoot FT'sat all or use his right hand was a 1st round pick. HTH
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

Doesn't matter. Romar already bought himself this year and next with a hot start.

depressing and likely true.
  • Options
    Del_GriffithDel_Griffith Member Posts: 128
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    The fact the Huskies are scratching/crawling for a 16 seed shows just how far this program has fallen under Romar. DGAF about freshman blue chips if Romar can't even get them to execute at home. Fuck it; TSIO.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Poeltl averages 16.2 points. Tonight he had 29. Keep him within five points of his average and we win. Maybe that's simplistic, I was switching between the gayme, the NFC CG, and internet shenanigans.

It's not that simplistic though.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    But wait, the Seattle Times just had a feature story about how Romar's team had officially turned the corner. Also, last Wednesday, Danny O'NEIL proclaimed him a "great" coach.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Romar's inbounds play of 5 guys standing around was brutally terrible. Any idiot can at minimum design a play in that situation to get your best scorer the ball on an isolation up top in a 1-4 set.

The kids don't know how to play against size and pick up way too many cheap fouls because they think that they can block everything. Poertl is really good though ... one of the better bigs that I've watched in person (last year in the NCAAs) ... he's got a great skill set. Not surprised at all that he had a huge night tonight.

If Utah could have hit a perimeter shot tonight, they would have won by double digits. Teams with size like Utah, Arizona, and Gonzaga have are going to give UW a ton of trouble all year.
  • Options
    Freshman don't know how to play, which is why so few teams excel with frosh as the center piece(s) of the team. They need teams littered with Soph/Junior and the occasional AA who has all of a sudden become much better his senior season. Most of it centers around defense. Frosh are fucking lazy on defense(thanks AAU) and rarely know how to play team defense. The worst of it is what Tequilla mentioned in that they want to block everything instead of learn position which leads to fouls, goaltends, etc. Some of that isn't their fault in that they play against such inferior competition in HS that it merely breeds bad habits.

All of this would happen with any coach with a 90% roster of freshman. The annoying part to me to this day is that Romar is getting praised for doing so well with youth, when it's his fucking fault they have an all freshman roster. Sure, i'm elated they look better, that they care, that he actually got some people here who can play a the the pac12 level. BUT that is a far cry from the fact that he mailed it in so bad for years and built roster of players who should have been in the WAC.

Last night was just another example of what happens with a romar led team. He can recruit(at times), but yet again his inability to do simplistic coaching execution is a joke at the level at which he's supposed to coach. Undisciplined shots coming down the stretch, an inbounds play which absolutely was a back breaker. You draw up a play which basically has guys standing, and ends up trapped in the corner. It was just horrid. If the plan was to get AA the ball just chuck it into the backcourt and lets not screw with the corner. Just frustrating beyond all words.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think the answer is to switch ALL ball screens on the perimeter. That way, we can match up Chriss, Dickerson or Dime on the opposing teams PG, while our PG gets isolated on the low block against 7 footers. Our bigs foul their littles going to the basket or our littles get manhandled on the low block. Sounds like a great defensive strategy. Dumbest fucking defensive thing I've ever seen.

How about vary our defense against ball screens. You know, fight through, double team, switch. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

I think the answer is to switch ALL ball screens on the perimeter. That way, we can match up Chriss, Dickerson or Dime on the opposing teams PG, while our PG gets isolated on the low block against 7 footers. Our bigs foul their littles going to the basket or our littles get manhandled on the low block. Sounds like a great defensive strategy. Dumbest fucking defensive thing I've ever seen.

How about vary our defense against ball screens. You know, fight through, double team, switch. I just don't get it.

This is truly puzzling. All game our guards were switching to their 7 footer who was phishing is inside. And yet... No adjustment. Romar is no genius, but he has a bench full of coaches who, presumably, have some working understanding of the game of basketball.

Why we didn't stop switching on their big is just perplexing.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Just making a guy shoot over you with your hand up will lower his shooting percentage ... it's not really that hard.

With how athletic our team is, you could argue that playing a zone would actually be the best use of our size (or lack thereof) in that you don't get guys out of position as much, limit the bad switches, and routinely are able to create trapping positions out of that if the offense puts the ball in the wrong spot.

AAU is just brutally bad for the game of basketball ... it doesn't need to be that bad ... but it just is. Inmates running the asylum.

As for @FreeChavez and his point about Romar's praise, the part that absolutely kills me is that because of the lack of depth on the roster, he can't really threaten anybody with the lack of playing time for when they have their head completely up their asses.
  • Options
    A couple of points on the above posts -

@HuskyInAZ - Your point is sound. Romar has long been someone who will let his post roam all the way out 30 ft from the basket to let another team execute a pick and role which leaves our bigs fouling recklessly and our guards chasing and in pure confusion. I regularly remember this with Aziz, MBA and Upshaw. Especially with Aziz and upshaw they can hedge screens with their size alone without needing to switch, EVER. If someone wants to set a ball screen 30 ft from the hoop let them. It was a constant annoyance. With a team built like this, the most successful strategy IMO is hedge and recover. We're? built with speed, athletic and quite sizable at most positions other than Center(and very few people have 7' who can actually do anything).

@doogville - As has been the case for many years and one of the reasons some of us who want romar out is that his bench coaches do not carry weight. For whatever reason he doesn't listen, or allow much from the assistants because he constantly has these fuckups in a game and never adjusts. I don't think he has moronic assistants, leaving us with the option that he isn't listening to suggestions. You're telling me that jackson still can't teach an inbounds play? Bone couldn't? Conroy even? Jesus, it's the same issue for the last 14 years.

@Tequilla - I would agree with you in theory on zone. The problem is that zone is much harder than man for a young team to pull off. Everyone assumes zone is easier. This is true in your local rec league because people can't shoot, pass or move. With this team and romar at the helm I'd be scared to see what would happen with all the lazy defense on the backside of the zone. It would be brutal. I still don't understand how we commit this many fouls though. It's truly quite amazing to be in foul trouble this much every single game. It hasn't really hurt us? yet, but it's getting to be more and more of an issue.

I would also so that most of the kids are making mistakes by playing too hard and fast, which is indicative of a young team. They just haven't learned yet how to handle certain situations and instinct of aau and hs ball makes them do things which are all in all stupid at this level. It's not their fault that Romar has basically stuck 4 frosh on the court at all times with a 5th year senior. I will continue to say it though, the fact that this team is competing with a crutch at coach each game it's truly amazing. I don't know whether to be excited and enjoy the ride or wait for the wheels to come completely off the cart.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

Gladstone said:

dhdawg said:

Gladstone said:

they've proven nothing on the road. an OT win over a WSU team that cant make a FT doesn't count
    You guys end up 10-8 on the outside looking in, Cook it.