Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hawk offseason issues

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Offense: It's obvious RW is now the focal point of the offense and they go as far as he can carry them. Because of this, they need to upgrade the OL and find guys who are better pass blockers even if they aren't as good at run zone blocking schemes. They also have to make decision on Okung and Sweezy. I can take or leave Okung as age is starting to show and at this point he is a guy who is going to miss multiple games every year due to injuries. Coaching staff seem to love Sweezy's tough/nastiness but next year will be either year 3 or 4 for him and he's got to make a jump from being just another guy.

Defense: Good tight ends have become our kryptonite for some reason. I think it is more a scheme issue, as there are far to many times they are finding huge soft spots in the zone or no one is around them. It feels like opposing teams have that play as a security blanket and can call it knowing it's going to work literally whenever they need it to. And for as good as our DL is, they can still disappear on the road when rushing just four guys. IMO the game was won today because Kam's line was something like 24 passes, 1 sack, 1 hit, 1 hurry. Wilson's was 40 passes, 5 sacks, 16 hits, 12 hurries which tells you Newton was never under pressure when he stepped back to pass.

Coaches: The first one won't change as at this point Pete is who he is, but his propensity for rolling the dice and taking chances isn't necessary and as teams have figured out the Hawks, they become more glaring as in closer games they matter more. The fg today in the 2nd was case in point: You needed 31 to tie them, so at some point you were going to have to kick one. He didn't, hawks didn't get the first, and as the game played out, instead of needing two scores with 1:20 left, you would have been down 7 first and ten from the 14 with 1:20 left and wouldn't have spiked it. This isn't changing because of who he is, but the next thing can and that is their PISSING away of timeouts.

Every game you can count on 1 timeout per half we burn on a challenge that is iffy at best, or because the play clock is about to expire and Wilson calls to. I would guess a third of those are on long distance situations with low odds your going to get the first anyway so the difference between 3rd and 16 and 3rd and 21 isn't worth burning the timeout. In watching the games, it appears to me the play calls aren't getting in quick enough, which implies Beville is the culprit, but it's up to Carroll to get it solved.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 9,077
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Carroll screwing up timeouts, clock management or general game management made him no worse than any other coach this weekend really. Never seen such a bad group in the 4 games of shitty decisions across the board.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Need pass rush, oline, a ticking clock implanted in Russell's helmet, roids for Kam, and a challenge minder for Pete.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    biggest needs are still on the offensive line, at RB, and at CB.
    Thankfully it doesn't look like they need to waste their time with more WR's/TE's. Lockett/Baldwin/kearse could be a great trio
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This season is so eerily similar to 2012.

Super Bowl 51 champs confirmed.
  • Options
    the problem is competition. The NFC should be really good next year between Arizona, Seattle, Carolina, and possibly Minnesota. Need to get home field
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

Thankfully it doesn't look like they need to waste their time with more WR's/TE's. Lockett/Baldwin/kearse could be a great trio

biggest need is running back???
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Maybe this clunker of a season will motivate some of these guys.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Maybe, but the opportunity window isn't getting any wider.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    MisterEm said:

It's not, but the core guys are still relatively young. Most are under 30 and a lot are 26 or 27. They ought to have another two or three more years for sure.

It's extremely difficult to make a SB three years straight. The Pats, Colts, Steelers, and Giants have all had some gaps between their appearances. I figured a 10-6 or 11-5 "off year" or two or three were probably likely.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

yes. you expect lynch to be back?
    rawls isn't gonna be healthy for the beginning of the year, and I don't trust michael
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    godawgst said:

Offense: It's obvious RW is now the focal point of the offense and they go as far as he can carry them. Because of this, they need to upgrade the OL and find guys who are better pass blockers even if they aren't as good at run zone blocking schemes. They also have to make decision on Okung and Sweezy. I can take or leave Okung as age is starting to show and at this point he is a guy who is going to miss multiple games every year due to injuries. Coaching staff seem to love Sweezy's tough/nastiness but next year will be either year 3 or 4 for him and he's got to make a jump from being just another guy.

Defense: Good tight ends have become our kryptonite for some reason. I think it is more a scheme issue, as there are far to many times they are finding huge soft spots in the zone or no one is around them. It feels like opposing teams have that play as a security blanket and can call it knowing it's going to work literally whenever they need it to. And for as good as our DL is, they can still disappear on the road when rushing just four guys. IMO the game was won today because Kam's line was something like 24 passes, 1 sack, 1 hit, 1 hurry. Wilson's was 40 passes, 5 sacks, 16 hits, 12 hurries which tells you Newton was never under pressure when he stepped back to pass.

Coaches: The first one won't change as at this point Pete is who he is, but his propensity for rolling the dice and taking chances isn't necessary and as teams have figured out the Hawks, they become more glaring as in closer games they matter more. The fg today in the 2nd was case in point: You needed 31 to tie them, so at some point you were going to have to kick one. He didn't, hawks didn't get the first, and as the game played out, instead of needing two scores with 1:20 left, you would have been down 7 first and ten from the 14 with 1:20 left and wouldn't have spiked it. This isn't changing because of who he is, but the next thing can and that is their PISSING away of timeouts.

Every game you can count on 1 timeout per half we burn on a challenge that is iffy at best, or because the play clock is about to expire and Wilson calls to. I would guess a third of those are on long distance situations with low odds your going to get the first anyway so the difference between 3rd and 16 and 3rd and 21 isn't worth burning the timeout. In watching the games, it appears to me the play calls aren't getting in quick enough, which implies Beville is the culprit, but it's up to Carroll to get it solved.

Our kryptonite? You mean Mr. Allen's kryptonite.

My facebook feed is full of posters declaring their undying love for the team.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

rawls isn't gonna be healthy for the beginning of the year, and I don't trust michael
    Really? I was under the impression he'd be good by June or July. That sucks.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

Lynch won't be back, Rawls will be ready to go by August and Michael if resigned should only get better with coaching.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dhdawg said:

the problem is competition. The NFC should be really good next year between Arizona, Seattle, Carolina, and possibly Minnesota. Need to get home field

This, no matter how good Seattle is they have already won a title and there is always going to be a younger, hungrier team that is close to as talented as them. This year it was Carolina, next year it will be Minnesota, the year after that it could be the LA Rams. The good news is next year, Carolina and Arizona are going to be the teams everyone gets up to play for. Perhaps Roger will fuck them over with their schedules too.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

1) OL
    2) OL
    3) OL

It seems the front office and Cable have gotten into the trap of converting DL. Sweezy has worked out, but ditch the fucking obsession.

4) Health. I don't think Earl Thomas is close to done, but he kind of sucked this year. I hope it's because of injury. I'm less optimistic about Chancellor. I think he's a year or two from being done. He's been hurt every year.

5) Bennett - I would assume he will hold out. I think he needs to be paid.

As long as the Seahawks have Carroll and Russell Wilson they will contend.

Agree with almost all of this. The OL is the biggest reason we? lost this game. It must be addressed. Health is a big issue. I agree Cam might be close to done. Bennett needs his contract upgraded. I don't really think Earl sucked this year though. It wasn't his best season but he was still a top 2 or 3 FS in the league IMO.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

1) OL
    2) OL
    3) OL

It seems the front office and Cable have gotten into the trap of converting DL. Sweezy has worked out, but ditch the fucking obsession.

4) Health. I don't think Earl Thomas is close to done, but he kind of sucked this year. I hope it's because of injury. I'm less optimistic about Chancellor. I think he's a year or two from being done. He's been hurt every year.

5) Bennett - I would assume he will hold out. I think he needs to be paid.

As long as the Seahawks have Carroll and Russell Wilson they will contend.

Agree with almost all of this. The OL is the biggest reason we? lost this game. It must be addressed. Health is a big issue. I agree Cam might be close to done. Bennett needs his contract upgraded. I don't really think Earl sucked this year though. It wasn't his best season but he was still a top 2 or 3 FS in the league IMO.
    He had some good games, but the defense gave up more big plays this year than the past two years combined. He went from being one of the top 5 defensive players in the year to a guy that was pretty good. It wasn't all his fault, but he was a big reason why. His tackling was much worse this year too, which makes sense considering his shoulder issues.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Need to upgrade OL first & DB's. Thomas is a bit worse but Chancellor is done. He's close to really falling off.

Give a raise to Bennett and Baldwin.

Should have enough money to sign one impact free agent.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    1) Lynch either retires or gets cut --> frees up salary cap money

2) Restructure or cut Jimmy Graham --> he's not going to be giving much next year with his injury (massive injury similar to what Victor Cruz had in 2014 and didn't give anything last year). The offense proved to be better after Graham left and I think it's fair to at least consider that he's a luxury that isn't needed with this offense.

3) Michael Bennett --> best player on the defense at this point. Give him the raise that he deserves and be pre-emptive on his eventual holdout.

4) Kam Chancellor --> be prepared for another hold out from him. If it is looking in that direction, then I'd look to trade him before the draft so that you can pick up a draft pick or two. Elite franchises move on from players a year early than a year late. Chancellor's impact and contributions to this franchise are already cemented and him trying to maximize his money for what he has to know is the end of his career coming on the horizon.

5) Need to completely restructure the offensive line. I'm fine moving on from Okung provided that he doesn't come back on a very team friendly deal. The annual injury concern with him each year is real. Sweezy is a try hard guy that probably has maximized his development in my opinion. Britt is terrible and probably shouldn't be a starter. Not sure anybody on that line is a starter. This area needs to be completely targeted in the draft and free agency. It is by far the biggest weakness on the roster.

6) To aid in the running game, need to find a well rounded TE that can offer a similar skill set to what Zach Miller brought to the table as a guy that could catch and block.

7) Since the RB position is so devalued, find another option to help complement Rawls and push Michael with a mid to late round pick in the draft.

8) Try to see if you can target a LB in the draft that specializes in coverage that you can use to plug some of the TE issues for the defense ...

9) Be willing to run more man to man concepts going forward to mix up the defense and at least second guess teams being able to roll into comfortable offensive play calling. The fact that the defense is failing to create takeaways tells me that the offense knows what the defense is going to do and how to attack it ... you either evolve or you die.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,998
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

MisterEm said:

It's not, but the core guys are still relatively young. Most are under 30 and a lot are 26 or 27. They ought to have another two or three more years for sure.

It's extremely difficult to make a SB three years straight. The Pats, Colts, Steelers, and Giants have all had some gaps between their appearances. I figured a 10-6 or 11-5 "off year" or two or three were probably likely.
    This. The core group is young and the only major overhaul needed is the O-line.