Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

According to coog duck math

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Bear Bryant has 4.5 national titles so Saban has already passed him. The question is, can Saban build a lead that Meyer can't catch. Urban is younger, although he keeps trying to die from a heart attack.

It is interesting as media types today look back on Bama and Bear's national titles. It's why I have never had an issue with UW claiming all they can. Now, Bama has 10 AP titles, claims about 4 more.

Bear had three split titles and one of those he split with USC in a season where he lost to USC at Bama. Incredible. Won one before a bowl game that they went on to lose.

But he was fucking Bear Bryant.

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    How many SRS natties, huh?
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bear Bryant never had to deal with his starting QB getting hurt or he would have had two more.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Urb will catch Satan. They simply lost too late this year or Urb would have had a chance to get his 4th THIS Season if they would have lost when Bama would have. Not saying they would have beat Bama this year but I doubt many would have been surprised.

This was a down year for OSU. I look for them to have more consistent QB play next year and win it all.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

Urb will catch Satan. They simply lost too late this year or Urb would have had a chance to get his 4th THIS Season if they would have lost when Bama would have. Not saying they would have beat Bama this year but I doubt many would have been surprised.

This was a down year for OSU. I look for them to have more consistent QB play next year and win it all.

They outsmarted themselves at the QB position this year. Urban won't make that mistake again.
  • Options
    DawgDazeDawgDaze Member Posts: 5
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    edited January 2016

salemcoog said:

They outsmarted themselves at the QB position this year. Urban won't make that mistake again.
    You mean none of the 3 they had were as stellar as the completely underwhelming Cokerhead?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DawgDaze said:

salemcoog said:

You mean none of the 3 they had were as stellar as the completely underwhelming Cokerhead?

No. That's not what I meant
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

If I'm Clemson, I low key claim this as a Natty in 20 years. Fuck it. We were 14-1 and so were Bama, we played them even without our best DB and we have a WAY fucking better loss than they do. #lossesmatter

Over 30 years later, how does this same logic apply to the 1984 Huskies?
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

If I'm Clemson, I low key claim this as a Natty in 20 years. Fuck it. We were 14-1 and so were Bama, we played them even without our best DB and we have a WAY fucking better loss than they do. #lossesmatter

I just don't care.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,942
    Baseman said:

Saban is superior.

4 Nattys in 7 years, 57% (better than Peterman and Sark's combined UW W% over the same period)

Saban won his Nattys with 20 to 10 fewer scholarship players than Bear was able to carry.

Both are bad ass; Saban more so.

Bear won a couple with just white boys.

Then when he needed to, he brought in the black fellers and won a couple more.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    DawgDaze said:

salemcoog said:

Hi Boobs.
  • Options
    seatownfunkseatownfunk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 802
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

I just don't care.
    But do you THINK?
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
    Baseman said:

Saban is superior.

4 Nattys in 7 years, 57% (better than Peterman and Sark's combined UW W% over the same period)

Saban won his Nattys with 20 to 10 fewer scholarship players than Bear was able to carry.

Both are bad ass; Saban more so.

Gotta add that Saban has won a total of 5 titles in 12 years at two programs, and add that in both cases the programs were floundering before he took over. LSU was in real bad shape (3 wins prior season), Alabama was mired in mediocrity (6 wins prior season). Saban elevated both to nationally relevant power house status. He has a damned impressive resume, IMO the best of the modern era.

Time will tell whether or not Saban builds a lead that Meyer doesn't catch. Meyer has youth on his side and is at the Alabama of the B1G, but he has yet to weather the stress of building (or re-building) a program as Saban has. Meyer inherited a ton of talent at both Florida and Ohio State. When things got tough at Florida, he freaked out and starting having "health" issues. Meyer is a great coach, he's capable of getting the most out of his players and game day coaching with the best of them, including Saban, but I think this is a LIPO situation.