Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Getting off the bus in Chicago

Was that a sloppy performance by an unprepared Husky squad against an improving Fighting Illini or simply more of Sark's road troubles that we've come to expect? Although we typically miss 30-40% of the action watching football on TV, it looked to me like a few Huskies mostly stayed on the bus outside Soldier's Field or were embarrassed leaving the lockerroom in their BYU doog-lite all white unis:

In watching the replay, I counted nine(9) penalties in the first half most of which were procedural and there might of been more. I haven't yet watched all the replay, but I believe it got better in the second half after some halftime tutorial in the lockerroom on how to line-up for Sark's fast no-huddle spread.

What was #88 doing on the field and why was he so unprepared to play? When not being called for lining-up incorrectly, #88 was flagged for holding at least twice while whiffing as a pass protection non-blocking TE.

After turning the ball over on his first carry, why was #12 given the opportunity to turn it over again on his second carry which he did? As a second year backup RB, this kid still doesn't know how to protect the ball as replays showed. Is #12 a candidate for DB?

Is anyone else tired of watching #71 get flagged for flagrant late hit? I suppose we're fortunate that the big guy is too slow to pursue sideline-to-sideline and not strong enough to terrorize QB's with rush pressure or he might be good for half a dozen 15-yarders per game.

Flag ball: I can't think of anything in Husky Football other than losses that I detest more than multiple procedural penalties. It is so....... coogloserish.

The team performance in Chicago was sloppy and another example of how poorly Sark prepares the Huskies for road games especially in early season. This time, however, our team fought through their mistakes and pretty much controlled the outcome over a mediocre Illini host:

Bishop Sankey is becoming almost unfair against poor run defense and his OL obviously enjoys blocking ahead of his slashes and flashes. Callier as backup looked good, but consider the opponents. I don't want to ever see #12 carrying the ball again.

Keith Price is playing well so far and appears to be healthy and mobile enough to get outside against the blitz. Don't know if the OL was confused, but they appeared to have little clue about stopping or slowing down the Illinis' red-dog. So far this season, KP has enough fast receivers catching the damn ball to get along fine without stumbling bumbling and lost #88.

The Husky defense had a good first half on Saturday, but seemed to get back on the bus at halftime. Here I think the UW staff got outcoached giving up three(3) TD's after allowing only one FG in the first 30 minutes. There still appear to be no miracles in a DL that combines a glaring lack of size and athleticism with lack of Husky caliber talent.

The final 34-24 score seemed too close, but it was a typical Sark road game and we probably should thank the host for the rare win. There will of course be more road games, but can Sark find a bus that get's us there for something more than BYU doog-lite and slop?

Comments

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    "The Husky defense had a good first half on Saturday, but seemed to get back on the bus at halftime. Here I think the UW staff got outcoached giving up three(3) TD's after allowing only one FG in the first 30 minutes. There still appear to be no miracles in a DL that combines a glaring lack of size and athleticism with lack of Husky caliber talent."

The complete and utter failure of this head coach to recruit decent interior DLs will hurt this team for years to come. Sincerely, Broken Record.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Broken Record..... to be repeated in ten seconds. Don't know how you do that repeat message all broken-up, but stick with it for it's the central truth of what's been missing for........ well, a long long time.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2013
    The things tailgator said are the basis for me saying "We now know that the Huskies are who we thought they were" post. Same as it ever was. 2 weeks to prepare and that's the product. Passion nailed it on the DL. We have one who I think would start for the top half of the pac-12...one.

This is a 7 win team because of coaching. Could be 6, could be 8, but the O/U is 7 (changed from the 2010 O/U which was 5).

Losses:Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford
    Probable Losses: ASU, Ore State
    Tossup: Arizona, WSU
    Wins: Colorado, Cal

• Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    This is the kind of quality poast that keeps me subscribing.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I made it to "performance".

TL: DRAA
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I think #88 has a lot of rust. He looked slow and tired compared to the rest of the offense. The OL was physically better prepared for the game than he was.
    Tailgater said:

Was that a sloppy performance by an unprepared Husky squad against an improving Fighting Illini or simply more of Sark's road troubles that we've come to expect? Although we typically miss 30-40% of the action watching football on TV, it looked to me like a few Huskies mostly stayed on the bus outside Soldier's Field or were embarrassed leaving the lockerroom in their BYU doog-lite all white unis:

In watching the replay, I counted nine(9) penalties in the first half most of which were procedural and there might of been more. I haven't yet watched all the replay, but I believe it got better in the second half after some halftime tutorial in the lockerroom on how to line-up for Sark's fast no-huddle spread.

What was #88 doing on the field and why was he so unprepared to play? When not being called for lining-up incorrectly, #88 was flagged for holding at least twice while whiffing as a pass protection non-blocking TE.

After turning the ball over on his first carry, why was #12 given the opportunity to turn it over again on his second carry which he did? As a second year backup RB, this kid still doesn't know how to protect the ball as replays showed. Is #12 a candidate for DB?

Is anyone else tired of watching #71 get flagged for flagrant late hit? I suppose we're fortunate that the big guy is too slow to pursue sideline-to-sideline and not strong enough to terrorize QB's with rush pressure or he might be good for half a dozen 15-yarders per game.

Flag ball: I can't think of anything in Husky Football other than losses that I detest more than multiple procedural penalties. It is so....... coogloserish.

The team performance in Chicago was sloppy and another example of how poorly Sark prepares the Huskies for road games especially in early season. This time, however, our team fought through their mistakes and pretty much controlled the outcome over a mediocre Illini host:

Bishop Sankey is becoming almost unfair against poor run defense and his OL obviously enjoys blocking ahead of his slashes and flashes. Callier as backup looked good, but consider the opponents. I don't want to ever see #12 carrying the ball again.

Keith Price is playing well so far and appears to be healthy and mobile enough to get outside against the blitz. Don't know if the OL was confused, but they appeared to have little clue about stopping or slowing down the Illinis' red-dog. So far this season, KP has enough fast receivers catching the damn ball to get along fine without stumbling bumbling and lost #88.

The Husky defense had a good first half on Saturday, but seemed to get back on the bus at halftime. Here I think the UW staff got outcoached giving up three(3) TD's after allowing only one FG in the first 30 minutes. There still appear to be no miracles in a DL that combines a glaring lack of size and athleticism with lack of Husky caliber talent.

The final 34-24 score seemed too close, but it was a typical Sark road game and we probably should thank the host for the rare win. There will of course be more road games, but can Sark find a bus that get's us there for something more than BYU doog-lite and slop?

dnc said:

I made it to "performance".

TL: DRAA

Thanks, truly...... and by now you know I'm too old to give a fuck.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tailgater said:

Disagree.
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    Broken record is right. How may posts have we had about the lack of linemen on both sides of the ball? This year alone, I count at least 14 where I've talked about the lousy lines.

How many hundreds of posts have blasted Shark for being a weak, disorganized, soft, undisciplined Cream Puff? I've had a least 24.

What else is there to talk about except whether we finish 8 - 4 or 7 - 5? The x's and o's hardly matter when a train wreck in motion is all we see year-after-year.

• TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Passion said:

"The Husky defense had a good first half on Saturday, but seemed to get back on the bus at halftime. Here I think the UW staff got outcoached giving up three(3) TD's after allowing only one FG in the first 30 minutes. There still appear to be no miracles in a DL that combines a glaring lack of size and athleticism with lack of Husky caliber talent."

The complete and utter failure of this head coach to recruit decent interior DLs will hurt this team for years to come. Sincerely, Broken Record.

I'm getting tired of beating this horse. If you poast again about this, I'm going to move it to the DL bored. You've been warned.

• Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    There should be two D line boards. One for the broken record stuff and one for new material and recruiting. All the bitching should be contained on one board.
    I know it's a typo, Damone, but we can't lose to Stanford twice.

I think we could beat OSU if the Huskies could find a way to improve as much before going down to Corvallis as we know the Beavs will. Other than the DL, the Huskies have much more talent, perhaps even in the OL.

Without such season long improvement, four(4) and probably five(5) losses for certain....... and it could easily be six(6).

One of the consistant traits of Husky Football since Don James has been the general lack of improvement as .each season progresses. Even Lambo and Neuheisel struggled to improve their programs in essentials.

There are many reasons for this, none of which are justified or excusable when we see what coaching staffs in good football programs are able to accomplish or what Riley at OSU and now perhaps Leach are able to do with less talent and resources than Sark has at Montlake.

Once again, we must hope that the always elusive Improvement shows up like some pigskin angel of doubt.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2013
    Tailgater said:

I know it's a typo, Damone, but we can't lose to Stanford twice.

I think we could beat OSU if the Huskies could find a way to improve as much before going down to Corvallis as we know the Beavs will. Other than the DL, the Huskies have much more talent, perhaps even in the OL.

Without such season long improvement, four(4) and probably five(5) losses for certain....... and it could easily be six(6).

One of the consistant traits of Husky Football since Don James has been the general lack of improvement as .each season progresses. Even Lambo and Neuheisel struggled to improve their programs in essentials.

There are many reasons for this, none of which are justified or excusable when we see what coaching staffs in good football programs are able to accomplish or what Riley at OSU and now perhaps Leach are able to do with less talent and resources than Sark has at Montlake.

Once again, we must hope that the always elusive Improvement shows up like some pigskin angel of doubt.

It will feel like getting beat twice.

I was thinking last week...that if UW would have lost to BSU, the rallying cry would have been "Teams improve the most from week 1 to week 2" How many times have we heard that after dropping the first game of the season? Everytime. (Hi Dick Baird). So UW has two weeks to get ready for game two and comes out looking worse than game 1. Of course, doogs don't remember that they yap about this so called improvement in years past. It's coaching. That's all it is. The talent is there. It has always been there. Sark can't help but fuck it up.

BTW, Riley is way overrated.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I have always felt ASJ has been a little overrated by doogs, but it was only one game. He's a good player and will have some big games this year.
    Riley is a Beav and can't help but be overrated.

ASJ is 276 lbs of hyperball disappointment. He's waiting for NFL money to get busy on whatever he has and the sooner he gets there, the better.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I have always felt ASJ has been a little overrated by doogs, but it was only one game. He's a good player and will have some big games this year.

ASJ is a lock to dominate against Idaho State and Colorado this year:

Boise State 8/31/13 Retake Montlake
    Idaho State 9/21/13 Committed to Community
    Arizona 9/28/13 Committed to Noise
    Oregon 10/12/13 Committed to Rivalry
    California 10/26/13 Committed to Tradition
    Colorado 11/9/13 Committed to Service
    Washington State 11/29/13 Committed to Finishing
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This is why I think you can make some judgements on Mora. UCLA really is young but they are big and mean where it counts. Yes Nebraska has a horrible defense but could the Husky D shut them out in the second half and limit them to 21 points?

Losing Jack a big time LB will also haunt sark. Mora's recruiting alone makes him 81% better than sark.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Took me a minute... that was funny.

ASJ is a lock to dominate against Idaho State and Colorado this year:

Boise State 8/31/13 Retake Montlake
    Idaho State 9/21/13 Committed to Community
    Arizona 9/28/13 Committed to Noise
    Oregon 10/12/13 Committed to Rivalry
    California 10/26/13 Committed to Tradition
    Colorado 11/9/13 Committed to Service
    Washington State 11/29/13 Committed to Finishing
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is why I think you can make some judgements on Mora. UCLA really is young but they are big and mean where it counts. Yes Nebraska has a horrible defense but could the Husky D shut them out in the second half and limit them to 21 points?

Losing Jack a big time LB will also haunt sark. Mora's recruiting alone makes him 81% better than sark.

It definitely was a statement game from Mora and UCLA. I know Nebraska isn't great and the morale of the program is pretty low, but plunger raping Nebraska on the road is impressive. Nebraska has some very good players on offense, and they didn't do shit after halftime.