Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What can we expect from Daniels in 2016?

TL;DR: 2016 will be speshul.

Utilize the goddamn TE was a common refrain on HH in 2015 but it actually wasn't because we didn't use the TE- we did. Perkins was 1st in the Pac-12 among TEs in yards and 2nd in receptions and Daniels was 6th. 834 yards or 27% of our total yards through the air came via the TE. That is a very high percentage. In comparison Stanford is at 21% with the bowl game to go.

The masses cried out because going to the TE was so wildly successful that Browning should have leaned on the position even more. I don't have target data to truly compare how successful going to the TEs was for UW in 2015 compared to the WRs or the RBs. But I think we all agree that Perkins was an advantage for us as Daniels will be next year.

What kind of stats do you expect for Daniels and what would you consider a successful season for him?

35/500/3 (matching Perkins?)
70/850/7 (matching ASJ's 2012?)

More? Less?

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    He'll be in the Perkins role next year, he is more explosive than Perkins so I think we'll see more yards. I'll go 45 catches for 725 yards and 7 TD's.

I agree, for all the complaining about UW not using their TE's enough I thought they did. And we (we?) almost exclusively played with 2 TE sets, and a fair amount of 3 TE sets too.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

He'll be in the Perkins role next year, he is more explosive than Perkins so I think we'll see more yards. I'll go 45 catches for 725 yards and 7 TD's.

I agree, for all the complaining about UW not using their TE's enough I thought they did. And we (we?) almost exclusively played with 2 TE sets, and a fair amount of 3 TE sets too.

That would be a good season. Essentially equalling Perkins+ Daniels combined line this year.
  • Options
    ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    I think a lot of it depends on how guys like Sample and Ajamu pan out. I feel like we used Sample more as an true "in line" tight end who blocked like an extra O Lineman. Daniels did a lot of his blocking either coming in motion back across the formation and then becoming a lead blocker for the RB, or out in space on the edge. If Daniels can develop the in line part of his blocking game then he probably won't leave the field as much and will get targeted more.

Daniels 6-4 241
    Ajamu 6-5 250
    Sample 6-4 245

Likewise, Ajamu and Sample have shown promise and could supplant Daniels as the true #1 guy there but I don't think that happens.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

You mean one tight end and two big slow receivers

• Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment