Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I hate bowl games now

PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,529
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Scrap the whole system. Go with 8 divisions of 10 and have a 16 team playoff (or some variation of this). Promotion and relegation. No more bowls at all.

Or just go back to the way things used to be and scrap the playoff completely.

It's embarrassing that it's gotten this far.

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PurpleJ said:

Scrap the whole system. Go with 8 divisions of 10 and have a 16 team playoff (or some variation of this). Promotion and relegation. No more bowls at all.

I would jizz for promotion and relegation, bring some fear back into these soft fucks.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Bowl games got really stupid about ten years ago when a lot of .500 teams and midmajor trash qualified. It was oversaturated, but still reasonable and most were watchable until then. I don't really get how the playoff changed things.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

I would jizz for promotion and relegation, bring some fear back into these soft fucks.
    We don't like it because we think you need to buy into the top division of play. Investors/boosters don't like having their investments to carry the risk of relegation.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2015

Bowl games got really stupid about ten years ago when a lot of .500 teams and midmajor trash qualified. It was oversaturated, but still reasonable and most were watchable until then. I don't really get how the playoff changed things.

The playoff made it so even the top bowl games are even more irrelevant. No fucking point. You're playing for 5th place now.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Take your idea of relegation J over to the Euro Trash Soccer Bored ...

Shouldn't you be watching the MLS Final or whatever the fuck they call it? Or are you too butthurt at the thought that Portland is going to win a MLS title before the Sounders?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

The playoff made it so even the top bowl games are even more irrelevant. No fucking point. You're playing for 5th place now.
    PurpleJ said:

True. The Sugar Bowl is now like the Peach Bowl, and nobody cares about Houston and whatever bowl they made. Maybe they should go back to the old bowl tie-ins, then select the two best teams.

The shit tier bowls still bother me way more than any of that though. I can't stand bowls with 7-5 MAC and Conference USSR teams. Get the fuck out of here with that garbage.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

True. The Sugar Bowl is now like the Peach Bowl, and nobody cares about Houston and whatever bowl they made. Maybe they should go back to the old bowl tie-ins, then select the two best teams.

The shit tier bowls still bother me way more than any of that though. I can't stand bowls with 7-5 MAC and Conference USSR teams. Get the fuck out of here with that garbage.
    upvoted for "Conference USSR." The judges would have also accepted "Conference CCCP."
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'd prefer it if there was no more college football this winter so we can fire up the Rush Hour trilogy again, instead
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Take your idea of relegation J over to the Euro Trash Soccer Bored ...

Shouldn't you be watching the MLS Final or whatever the fuck they call it? Or are you too butthurt at the thought that Portland is going to win a MLS title before the Sounders?

I'm actually ecstatic that they're going to win. Don't care for MLS or American soccer. Fuck the Sounders.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

PurpleJ said:

This is how I feel about Asians.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #MyTimbers
    #WeWonFirst
    #FagLeagueWithNoRelegation
    #NASL
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I get the impression you're one of those settle it on the field guys which I understand. You cite UW 1984+1991 and based on what we've experienced we would have historically greatly benefited from playing BYU and Miami. I just don't think that even now with a top 4 that we really capture the real possibilities for best team. As noted in other threads I think scrap it all and go back to the good old days. Argue about it and let people claim what they claim. The thing is I don't think playoffs have changed bowls - they've just changed how people view national champions. There is this impression of a true champion when it isn't. Say Bama wins it all this year and you don't have a gripe. It makes sense. Clearly there are a lot of scenarios in any number of years (any Big 12 fan will cite last year) where this all breaks down and there is still controversy but and a make-believe champion.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

PurpleJ said:

You would jizz over putting the fear back into Asians? Bro.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

PurpleJ said:

You would jizz over putting the fear back into Asians? Bro.
    WWLJD?

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    I miss the days when Michigan could go 50-4-1 over 5 years ... and only qualify for one bowl game in that stretch.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Kick out the 2 worst teams to lower divisions and promote 2 in the lower divisions to Div 1.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So... Eastern would have moved up w/o VAJ?
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The more bowls the better. 20 straight days of fucking football all day long to drink to, and you're complaining... The whole point is to make fun of all the teams playing in shit tier bowls and troll their fag fans on social media.

You make the most compelling argument to date.