Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW to Too Much War Imagery Bowel?

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    BayDawg said:

I dont really care what bowl it is, Im not excited about the opponent. Not because of the level of skill, etc, but because of the style of play. Playing against the academies triple option I worry about leg injuries facing all of the cut blocks that we are not use to seeing. We dont need any of our defensive players blowing out their shit heading into the off season.

Lambright flashbacks from the 90's IMHO
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Not even close
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,109
    Founders Club
    edited December 2015
    It's not about deserving more respect. It's about not wanting to play Air Force. Not a fun style of football to watch and not much satisfaction in beating them.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    @Tequilla where's the TLDR Fort Worth Guide?

Coldest beer in town?
    Dutch's burgers?
    Joe Ts fajitas?
    Christmas show at Bass Hall?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    We? are lucky to be playing in a bowel game at all. As much as it has been a frustrating season, it's good to see the team headed off to play in a bowl game, even if it's shit tier.

It's an opportunity to see if the team can focus and get their shit together. Let's see if the coaches can have this team ready to play with so much time to prep.

I have the day off and will definitely watch. Hopefully they can win and put some of those frustrating things from the season behind them.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2015
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Fuck

WTF were you expecting that was better than that?

Would you rather play some shitty team from the MAC or Sun Belt?
    This is literally the worst possible bowl; either of the Texas bowls, the cactus bowl, or the shitty Louisiana bowl would be better options.
    This is a Texas Bowl game ... played at TCU
    Great stadium and downtown Ft. Worth is awesome. I'm definitely going if they get the invite.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    BayDawg said:

Playing against the academies triple option I worry about leg injuries facing all of the cut blocks that we are not use to seeing. We dont need any of our defensive players blowing out their shit heading into the off season.

That is a good point. Is Chode sticking around for the bowl game? Bad time for the DL to get a new coach...
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I've been in who cares mode since 4-5 (Utah game?)
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    6-6 teams don't deserve bowls.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,095
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My wife is certainly more excited about Ft Worth than Shreveport
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    This is a game we can actually get to, because it is not the day after Christmas.
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Plane tickets are really expensive, is that normal for Dallas? Seeing $500+ RT, Hawaii cost less than that
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BayDawg said:

I dont really care what bowl it is, Im not excited about the opponent. Not because of the level of skill, etc, but because of the style of play. Playing against the academies triple option I worry about leg injuries facing all of the cut blocks that we are not use to seeing. We dont need any of our defensive players blowing out their shit heading into the off season.

You're forgetting about Psalm Wooching. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

It's not about deserving more respect. It's about not wanting to play Air Force. Not a fun style of football to watch and not much satisfaction in beating them.

I'm surprised that you are saying this ...

There's a certain beauty in watching the military academies play football when it is run at a high level (basically anything Navy and Air Force does ... Army is dreck).

This is a good opponent for our guys to play in that it will require their attention and focus to play well in. Athletically, we are superior and if we take care of our business we should win the game. It will be good for our young guys to play against Air Force and the respect that comes with playing an Academy school. IMO, this will be good for the program.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    section8 said:

Plane tickets are really expensive, is that normal for Dallas? Seeing $500+ RT, Hawaii cost less than that

With non holiday travel, you normally are looking at anywhere from $275-$350 for normal tickets. $500 is about right for the holidays.

Look to see if Alaska offers a 10% discount for road travel like they did for UW away games this year - that has a chance to work out well.

Now only do you have the option to fly into DFW, Southwest flies into Love Field in Dallas (I don't anticipate that this will be any cheaper) as well as the direct flight that Alaska has from Seattle to Austin. Taking 2-3 hour drives in Texas is sort of a right of passage.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Southwest into love field is DT Dallas, probably cheaper and more convenient if you're staying in Dallas
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Tequilla said:

I'm surprised that you are saying this ...

There's a certain beauty in watching the military academies play football when it is run at a high level (basically anything Navy and Air Force does ... Army is dreck).

This is a good opponent for our guys to play in that it will require their attention and focus to play well in. Athletically, we are superior and if we take care of our business we should win the game. It will be good for our young guys to play against Air Force and the respect that comes with playing an Academy school. IMO, this will be good for the program.
    I felt the same way in 1998

Seattle - Washington, one of the teams to play in the first Aloha Bowl in 1982, will be one of the teams to play in the inaugural Jeep Oahu Bowl on Dec. 25 in Honolulu. The Huskies will meet Air Force in Aloha Stadium at 5:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. Hawaii Time). The game will be televised by ESPN. The Falcons are ranked 13th in this weeks ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll and figure 17th in the Associated Press standings.

Washington finished the regular season with a 6-5 record that included a fifth-place finish in the Pac-10 Conference with a 4-4 league record. Air Force won the Western Athletic Conference championship by defeating BYU 20-13 Saturday in the leagues championship game in Las Vegas. The Falcons finished the season with an 11-1 record.

The game will be the Huskies fifth bowl appearance in Hawaii. In 1938 Washington defeated Hawaii 53-13 in the Pineapple Bowl. In 1982 the Huskies defeated Maryland 21-20 in the Aloha Bowl. The following season Penn State knocked off Washington 13-10 in the Aloha Bowl. Last year the Huskies defeated Michigan State 53-21 in the Jeep Aloha Bowl.

"We are excited to play in the inaugural Jeep Oahu Bowl and be a part of a little college football history with this first bowl doubleheader," said Washington coach Jim Lambright. "Everyone from Washington who made the trip for last years Aloha Bowl had a wonderful time. The hospitality extended to our team was tremendous. Air Force is a very, very good football team and their quarterback, Blane Morgan, does an excellent job of running their offense. Fisher DeBerrys teams are always discipline and very prepared. We have our work cut out for us over the next few weeks as we put together a game plan for Air Force."

The 1998 Jeep Oahu Bowl will be Washingtons fourth consecutive bowl appearance and the 17th bowl game in the programs last 22 years. The game will mark the sixth meeting between the Huskies and Falcons. Air Force leads the overall series 3-2, but Washington has won the last two meetings. The Huskies won 30-7 in 1967 and 50-7 in 1980.

The 1998 Jeep Oahu Bowl will be part of the first bowl doubleheader in college football history. Prior to the Huskies game against the Falcons, Oregon will meet Colorado in the Jeep Aloha Bowl. That game is scheduled to kickoff at 10:30 a.m. PT (12:30 p.m. HT) and will be televised by ABC Sports.

Ironically, Air Force, Colorado and Oregon will all appear on Washingtons 1999 schedule consecutive Saturdays. The Huskies will face Air Force on Sept. 18 in the home opener at Husky Stadium. Colorado will play at Washington on Sept. 25 and the Ducks return to Husky Stadium on Oct. 2.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,449
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Air Force owns us
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

6-6 teams don't deserve bowls.

Yet they deserve whiney fans posting every day about controlling the actions of others because somebody has to do Something about gun control?