Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kobe retiring

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,382
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

PurpleJ said:

MisterEm said:

PurpleJ said:

Gladstone said:

PurpleJ said:

Should have retired YEARS ago.

Retire or sign 2y/50M deal. But how is PurpleJ a shit poster?

Not sure what Lakers should have done but spending over the cap to field those 2 teams owing their 1st to the Sixers is a brutal situation.
    My pride is worth more than that if I'm Kobe.
    Pride is worth more than generational money?

Did you go to the @collegdoog school of hard knocks?
    There's always money in coaching/broadcasting. No one likes to be THAT guy who plays too long and embarrasses himself in the process.
    Hi there.

Baring career ending injuries, virtually EVERYBODY plays too long and embarrasses themselves in the process. You don't become an elite athlete by having great self awareness, you become an elite athlete by combining elite talent with with elite belief in yourself.

The Barry Sanders' and John Elways of the world are very rare. MJ, Kareem, Peyton, Montana, Favruh, etc all hung around embarrassingly long. None of their legacies are tainted because of it. Kobe's won't be either.
    Everybody does it? Hi Hondo!
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Both sad news and happy. Like it's time.

The Kobe haters coming out has me feeling nostalgic.

He had an ok game tonight. He'll continue to put up stinkers. But at some point he'll have a big game and that'll be how I'll remember the last season.

Kobe gave everyone what they wanted. The best Michael Jordan impersonation possible. And he's a top 10 player of all time. RIP.

I love Kobe but I'm not sure he's top 10 of all time. I'd probably put him top 12. But no question he's one of the greats.

What's your top 10 look like? I'd go something like

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Wilt
    Bron
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Oscar
    Kobe

But he's definitely in that 8-15 range. Once you get past Duncan you can argue it quite a few different ways.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

He had an ok game tonight. He'll continue to put up stinkers. But at some point he'll have a big game and that'll be how I'll remember the last season.

Kobe gave everyone what they wanted. The best Michael Jordan impersonation possible. And he's a top 10 player of all time. RIP.

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Wilt
    Bron
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Oscar
    Kobe
    Obviously a math major
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Somewhat chronological

Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Jerry West
    Rick Barry
    Julius Erving
    Magic Johnson
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    Michael Jordan
    Lebron James

In the immortal words of Isiah Thomas, who a Husky player was named after if you haven't heard, if Larry was white he'd be just another guy
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Race, light yourself on fire for not including the Big O.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

That's a good point. I pretty much went with who I saw and while the Big O was there at the same time, TV back in the day was Lakers, Celtics, and Sixers in the 60's. O did win title with Kareem in Milwaukee,

Who do I take off the list?
    edited December 2015

PurpleJ said:

That's a good point. I pretty much went with who I saw and while the Big O was there at the same time, TV back in the day was Lakers, Celtics, and Sixers in the 60's. O did win title with Kareem in Milwaukee,

these lists are always hard just based on how old you are. It's very difficult to have an appreciation for how good some players were as well as a perspective of the era the player was in.

I wish I had the time or the footage to go back and really appreciate some of the players in the 60's and 70's. Stats just don't do many players justice when discussing career dominance.
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

these lists are always hard just based on how old you are. It's very difficult to have an appreciation for how good some players were as well as a perspective of the era the player was in.

I wish I had the time or the footage to go back and really appreciate some of the players in the 60's and 70's. Stats just don't do many players justice when discussing career dominance.
    I can tell you that the Rick Barry Warriors were as fun to watch as the Warriors today. Barry was a great passer and shooter and it was contagious not unlike Curry today. When the Sonics were first making the playoffs they would run into the Warriors and Barry so I got to see them a lot.

If Walton had stayed healthy you'd have to find a place for him. The Blazers championship team was also great. Too bad nobody was watching in the 70's.

There are really two eras, pre and post Magic and Larry

PurpleJ said:

I can tell you that the Rick Barry Warriors were as fun to watch as the Warriors today. Barry was a great passer and shooter and it was contagious not unlike Curry today. When the Sonics were first making the playoffs they would run into the Warriors and Barry so I got to see them a lot.

If Walton had stayed healthy you'd have to find a place for him. The Blazers championship team was also great. Too bad nobody was watching sober in the 70's.

Well, maybe not too bad...

PurpleJ said:

If Walton had stayed healthy you'd have to find a place for him. The Blazers championship team was also great. Too bad nobody was watching in the 70's.

TyWho.gif
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Kareem won a title his last season

Kareem got swept in the Finals ... he also was the 3rd or 4th option on that team at that point.
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

Probably Rick Barry. For the sake of argument, you could maybe make a case for Wilt based on the era he played in. But he put up ridiculous numbers and changed the game so I wouldn't. You could also make the case for LeBron, because he is still playing and he needs to win one in Cleveland before he can pop off. I'm pretty sure he will, so I wouldn't make that one either. It's kind of like discussing your favorite movies or music, though, because it's subjective. Unless you want to go by rings or a specific stat, of course. But that'd be like going by record sales or box office. It doesn't always tell the whole story.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bill Simmons calls Kobe top 10. And while I don't think his opinion is the be all end all, given his Celtic colored glasses and the fact that he literally wrote the book of basketball I'd say it carries some weight.

I'd have him 9th on DNCs list.

Bill Simmons calls Kobe top 10. And while I don't think his opinion is the be all end all, given his Celtic colored glasses and the fact that he literally wrote the book of basketball I'd say it carries some weight.

You put him over Oscar, Hakeem and Shaq? Or above others on the list?
    dnc said:

I love Kobe but I'm not sure he's top 10 of all time. I'd probably put him top 12. But no question he's one of the greats.

Jordan
    Russell
    Magic
    Kareem
    Bird
    Wilt
    Bron
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Oscar
    Kobe

But he's definitely in that 8-15 range. Once you get past Duncan you can argue it quite a few different ways.
    It will be very difficult to move into the Top 5 ...

I'd go with Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, and Bird ...

Wilt is a difficult person to slot because while individually he was great it's a team game and he really struggled there. When you compare Wilt's stats against Russell versus his stats against his total stats, it really speaks to the value of Russell.

From a talent standpoint, LeBron is great. 2 titles though and the countless Finals losses though I think at some point have to stack up against him though. When you are comparing him to guys like Duncan and Kobe who have I believe 5 titles each, there's something to be said for that. In the end, the greatest players in the history of basketball are measured by titles. I put LeBron closer to the Wilt category than some others unless he can prove me wrong going forward. Oscar is really in that category as well.

Duncan to me is probably ahead of Wilt at this point ... I'd put him 6th in my own rankings. Wilt 7th. Kobe 8th. Lebron 9th because of his dominance. Big O 10th. Hakeem 11th. Shaq 12th out of that list.

In general, I don't find someone to be a great player because in their prime they were genetically superior to everybody else. I give major props to guys like Jordan, Kareem, and Duncan for being such strong players as they aged. Shaq really fell off as he aged and got out of shape. Hakeem was still a strong player in his mid 30s. For guards standards, both Kobe and Oscar played well far longer than most at their positions in their generations. I'm really looking forward to seeing how LeBron adjusts as his body starts to lose some of its advantages and whether he can change his game to adjust.

The Book of Basketball is an encyclopedia on the game. Simmons has some Celtic bias to him, but I never really got too much of an impression of that in the book. His reverence for the history of the game is greater than his Celtic fandom.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    edited December 2015

PurpleJ said:

Rick Barry.

Edit: Moses Malone and Karl Malone have to be in the discussion. Jerry West is horribly overrated - Havlicek has as strong a resume and way more rings.

And dare I say, The Iceman was as good as it gets.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    What, no Shawn Kemp?
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Ahead of those 3, behind Duncan. Lebron is the wildcard in there. If his career ended today I'd probably put him behind Kobe, Duncan.
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

Ahead of those 3, behind Duncan. Lebron is the wildcard in there. If his career ended today I'd probably put him behind Kobe, Duncan.
    I completely forgot about Duncan. As usual. He has to be on my list somewhere. Sorry Rick Barry you're out.

I'm not a Kobe hater but the reason neither he or Shaq makes my list is because both of them should have more rings that Jordan. Regardless of who was to blame they are fucking stupid for ruining that team and kicking away a couple titles even before they broke up.

Then Shaq got fat. I'd put Kobe ahead of Shaq because he led a team to two more titles and Shaq kind of rode Wade's coat tails to one more. (insert CuntWaffle you mean like Lebron)

The top 50 list would have to be revisited these days for guys like Dirk and Wade etc.