Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

8 days into the future

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadHarv55RoadHarv55 Member Posts: 88
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Coogs get in ahead of the Ducks. HTH.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Coogs get in ahead of the Ducks. HTH.

I like to say hope that helps when I'm not being helpful at all.
  • Options
    KnocksvilleEKnocksvilleE Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

BOOMER SOONER

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU!
    Tequilla said:

Oklahoma jumping from 7 to 3 is a joke ... they aren't as good of a team as everybody trying to crown them is making them out to be. Being up 23-7 at half against a team playing a combination of a 2nd and 3rd team QB and needing a failed 2 point conversion to win isn't indicative of a championship contender to me. And before everybody points to Oklahoma playing their backup QB in the 2nd half, that was also their starter last year.

He was an extremely inconsistent starter last year and has clearly regressed as a backup. He was a major reason why OU went 8-5 last year despite having a veteran OLine, great RB corps, and superstar WR. He was a major downgrade over the 1st string while TCU's third string was clearly better than their second string. In addition, both OU's star running backs and WR were banged up and not playing at 100%. And TCU has also played the Sooners tough every year.

And although I don't think they should be number 3, it isn't a total joke. Ohio State and OKState lost and both deserved to fall below OU for it. ND barely survived a 3-7 team while OU barely survived a 9-1 team. Yes OU lost to saxeT and ND beat them, but those were both early on in the season. saxeT was better when they faced OU (New OC and QB) than when they faced ND. And OU has made substantial changes since then, which have resulted in them blowing out pretty much everyone they faced and beating Baylor at home. Those are 3 teams OU deserved to jump after last weekend. Florida barely survived a 2-8 C-USA team. Michigan State barely survived Ohio State as well so maybe you can justify them jumping OU, but it is arguable given that they lost to a team arguably as bad as saxeT much more recently than OU's loss and needed an absolute freak mistake by Michigan to win that game as well. OU just beat Baylor on the road so it's hard to jump them over OU. I'm not sure OU deserved to jump Iowa, so I will give you that. So maybe you could give OU anywhere between 3-5, but it is arguable. And definitely not a joke.

Also, the CFB may have not dinged OU that much for the TCU game because OU's QB was out for the second half of that game and likely to return for Bedlam.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Two points:

ND struggled against a team that has the #1 defense in the country. BC isn't terrible as a team ... just terrible offensively.

As for Texas, the week before beating Oklahoma, they lost 50-7 to TCU with a late TD giving them the TD for 7. That was as low of a moment as I can ever remember Texas having.
  • Options
    BC also has not played many offensive juggernauts either. They have a good defense, but a playoff team has no business having that much trouble against them this late in the season.

As for the saxeT v TCU game, that game was an outlier at the time. The weeks before that game included near wins against both OKState, a team that beat TCU pretty badly, and Cal. Their next game after the OU win, they also beat KState pretty bad, another team that damn near beat TCU. Texas was no slouch at the time, and would be bowl eligible by now if their schedule was easier.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BC also has not played many offensive juggernauts either. They have a good defense, but a playoff team has no business having that much trouble against them this late in the season.

As for the saxeT v TCU game, that game was an outlier at the time. The weeks before that game included near wins against both OKState, a team that beat TCU pretty badly, and Cal. Their next game after the OU win, they also beat KState pretty bad, another team that damn near beat TCU. Texas was no slouch at the time, and would be bowl eligible by now if their schedule was easier.

The new transitive property superiority guy.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    As for OU being overrated, they are #1 in FPI, #5 in ELO, #3 in S&P+, #4 in FEI, #3 in F+, #2 in Sagarin, etc...
    ND, on the other hand is #8 in FPI, #7 in ELO, #9 in S&P+, #3 in FEI, #4 in F+, #6 in Sagarin, etc...
    Both are nearly the same in the advanced stats, with OU having a slight lead.

I understand there are some limitations to how much stock anyone should put in advanced stats when comparing teams from different conferences. But it is still much more reliable than comparing one common opponent played early in the season (1st fucking game for ND). OU slipped up against saxeT early in the season and have done everything to show the game was a complete fluke. It is one of the lamest use of the fallacious transitive property you can think of.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    MisterEm said:

The whole argument for ND over OU relies exclusively on the transitive property. And it's one damn data point. When you open that door, absurdity enters.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Oklahoma is #3 in SRS, Notre Dame #6.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,841
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Oregon has already at least once finished ranked above pac12 champ Standford. Might have happened twice. I don't remember so I'm sure nobody else does.

But still...

Pretty sure nobody else cares.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

MisterEm said:

The whole argument for ND over OU relies exclusively on the transitive property. And it's one damn data point. When you open that door, absurdity enters.
    Notre Dame lost on the road by 2 to the #1 team in the Playoff Rankings ...

Oklahoma lost to a team that will be lucky to be in a bowl game ...

Just saying ...
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

MisterEm said:

Notre Dame lost on the road by 2 to the #1 team in the Playoff Rankings ...

Oklahoma lost to a team that will be lucky to be in a bowl game ...

Just saying ...
    Ohio State lost to a team that barely made bowl eligibility last year. TCU that year lost to a 1 loss team and Baylor lost to a 7-5 team. I don't always agree with the playoff but I like their tendency not to focus on one damn game and ignore the rest.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited November 2015
    Tequilla said:

Two points:That was as low of a moment as I can ever remember Texas having.

Watch the 1990 cotton bowel.
    Texas so thought they were back and ran into a pissed off 2 loss Miam team that handed them 220 yds in personal foul penalties and still only yielded a field goal while laying 46 on da horns. No 70-3 ass kicking was ever more dominating than my canes that day. None.

Face it: those canes were just better at life.
  • Options
    Overall, all these arguments for and against ND and OU aren't that good. They need to expand the playoffs to 6-8 teams so we don't have to rely so much on subjective opinions and cherry picked facts to decide who gets into the playoff. If you win a power 5 conference, you are in (not sure how to handle ND though) Yeah there will still be some bullshit to decide who gets in outside of conference champions. But it's a hell of a lot better than the bullshit we have now.