Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Failing to Challenge Bad Spot That Gave Cal a 1st down

At the start of the 2nd quarter Cal had a 3rd and 1 that was stuffed for no gain. Land Clark comes in with the first down signal, bailing out the bears down 7-3. UW coaches failed to challenge this blown spot.

Up to that point the UW defense had been on the field for 10 minutes of the first quarter. They were also already on the field for a few extra plays that series because Cal had a few penalties. After that call UW was on the field for 10:18 of the next 13 minutes. TOP was 20-8 over the first 28 minutes.

The bigger problem than the defense getting tired which no one has mentioned, is our offense in every game has taken time to get untracked. It can't start fast. They had just scored and had a bit of rhythm.

I realize a good team shakes it off and wins anyway, and we still had a chance to go ahead early in the 4th and win the game at the end. But considering the defense had already been on the field for a while, not challenging this bad spot was the turning point in the game. The defense was already tired and then had to be on the field for 7:30 of the next 9 minutes. It gave Cal another opportunity to get its offense going and helped take our offense out of the momentum it had on the previous series.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The problem is I'm not at all convinced we would have won that challenge. There was at least one angle that looked like he clearly got the first.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

The problem is I'm not at all convinced we would have won that challenge. There was at least one angle that looked like he clearly got the first.

I'm as shameless a Cal homer as there is, and even I thought it was obvious that he was a half yard short
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,647
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Coaching mistake for sure just like accepting a 5 yard penalty on what would have been 2nd and 15. Extra down extended a TD drive.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    gmo said:

Coaching mistake for sure just like accepting a 5 yard penalty on what would have been 2nd and 15. Extra down extended a TD drive.

I didn't get that one either. Decline the penalty was too obvious.

As for challenging an official's spot, it's rare they are overturned.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

There's not a single call made all day that convinced me the officials would have got it right