Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UO Grad Goes to UW Practice - report

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
interesting comments bolded
I went to the UW practice on Saturday with some members of my coaching staff and team. The huskies are making an effort to renew ties to the local football community...

Started off by having a short conversation with Damon Huard. I shook the had that threw the Ball to Kenny Wheaton. I was smiling on the inside :)

Lawyer Milloy gave a speech about players staying to play in state and how dominant his team was back in 1991. Hooray for that! This isn't 1991...

Toured the weight room and locker room. VERY UNDERWHELMING. They actually had a football on a spring as you leave the locker room to punch. Hmm, wonder where they thought of that??

What struck me was how low the energy level was during practice. Lots of jogging, loafing etc. To my eye most of those players were just going through the motions.

Browning is going to be nice qb for them, he throws a very nice ball. On the other side of the ball the only 2 guys who popped were Baker and their safety jc transfer Ezekial Turner. That kid is a good one. He was all over the field laying some serious wood.

Running game is terrible, line play is terrible on both sides. I would be pretty depressed if I were a uw fan...

Comments

• HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,958
    edited August 2015
    We all know going really fast is better than doing it right...that's the Max Power way.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,120 Founders Club

AZDuck said:

I went to the UW practice on Saturday with some members of my coaching staff and team. The huskies are making an effort to renew ties to the local football community...

Started off by having a short conversation with Damon Huard. I shook the had that threw the Ball to Kenny Wheaton. I was smiling on the inside :)

Lawyer Milloy gave a speech about players staying to play in state and how dominant his team was back in 1991. Hooray for that! This isn't 1991...

Toured the weight room and locker room. VERY UNDERWHELMING. They actually had a football on a spring as you leave the locker room to punch. Hmm, wonder where they thought of that??

What struck me was how low the energy level was during practice. Lots of jogging, loafing etc. To my eye most of those players were just going through the motions.

Browning is going to be nice qb for them, he throws a very nice ball. On the other side of the ball the only 2 guys who popped were Baker and their safety jc transfer Ezekial Turner. That kid is a good one. He was all over the field laying some serious wood.

Running game is terrible, line play is terrible on both sides. I would be pretty depressed if I were a uw fan...

Meh. This is just classic confirmation bias. It's telling because we want it to be telling. But these exact comments are made by players every single time there's a regime change. Sometimes they're telling, sometimes they're not. Time will tell.

Either way it will be interesting.

Hi there. @dnc asked you to hurry up and get your 53 seconds in order.
    edited August 2015
    That is what Sark did as well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (and those times usually correspond to the times someone like Sark is coaching).

Hopefully it is just because they are trying to teach the players their assignment and it really isn't because they are being lazy. That would suck and UW would be in for a shitty decade again.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    AZDuck said:

Oregon makes a big deal out of the pace of practice to simulate game conditions. That may not be a thing with Peterman. I thought it was interesting.

Or not
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

AZDuck said:

Meh. This is just classic confirmation bias. It's telling because we want it to be telling. But these exact comments are made by players every single time there's a regime change. Sometimes they're telling, sometimes they're not. Time will tell.

Either way it will be interesting.
    Hi there. @dnc asked you to hurry up and get your 53 seconds in order.

Choke on my dick
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    HuskyJW said:

Saturday wasn't even a practice.

And isn't every Duck practice closed....how does this guy know if they are running or not? What a load of b.s.

HRYK
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    BaghdadBob.jpeg
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612
    edited August 2015
    Total B.S., that tool sucks at trolling because Turner didn't play on Sunday and I haven't heard anything about him before this today from Jood:

seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uw-football-fall-camp-defense-dominates-on-day-10/

"Noteworthy:

— A lot of jawing back and forth between the offense and defense. After his touch sack of KJCS to end one drive, senior DL Jarett Finau turned toward the offense’s side and let out a prolonged, WWE-style roar. After Lindquist threw an errant pass for walk-on TE Connor Griffin, the former Gonzaga basketball walk-on, Clay yelled: “You should’ve stuck to basketball!” (Griffin, by the way, has had a nice camp working mostly with the third-string offense. UW is deep at tight end, but he could help down the road.)

Redshirt freshman RB Jomon Dotson, redshirt freshman safety Jojo McIntosh and sophomore safety Ezekiel Turner (who had a cast on his right wrist) remained sidelined. Junior CB Kevin King was also limited.

— With Dotson out the last couple days, freshman RB Myles Gaskin has gotten more work, and he seems to be taking advantage of it. At 5-9, 192, he’s quite shifty.

— Freshman Trey Adams has moved up the depth chart and is running with the No. 2 offense at left tackle. “He’s a competitor and he’s got talent, no question about it,” Petersen said. “Just keep forcing the issue and see what he can do.”
    I think the guy went to the closed practice on Saturday, which was supposed to be a scrimmage.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612
    edited August 2015
    Don't think so because the guy said the players were loafing and Jude said this about the open practice Sunday:

"Browning also threw two interceptions in Sunday’s open practice, but I put less stock in those; no, you never want to see turnovers, but that was basically a walk-through at half speed."

It also makes a lot more sense that a guy went to the open practice rather than somehow sneaking into a closed practice (closed to everyone, including Tyee).

I think the guy went to the closed practice on Saturday, which was supposed to be a scrimmage.