Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who are the freshman surprises this season?

HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
In other words, who are this years Will Dissly's, Sidney Jones' and Dante Pettis'?

If we have a repeat of last year and another two or three freshman stand out like that, it will be a great sign for Petersen.

Edit-Looking at the guys who are rated in the middle to lower half of the class. Sterk? Warren? Pounds? Bartlett? Neal?

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,473
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Browning, The Potatoe, and The Sterk.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I've been told that freshmen aren't ready to help.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Our freshman are too young.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My DDY 'they have a chance' all stars are:

Michael Neal, Jason Scrempos.

Renfro could be good this year, but wouldn't really be a surprise.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

So basically anyone over 6'1
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I forgot AJ Carty!
  • Options
    SilkyJohnstonSilkyJohnston Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I forgot AJ Carty!
    And String
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,443
    Petersen played 8 true freshman last year and said in a recent interview he's willing to play 8 more again this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Joyner play at CB and on special teams (especially KOR), Renfro, McClatcher, and Pounds at WR, and Gaskin at RB. Petersen isn't afraid to play freshman on the DL, so Potoae might factor in, and I expected 1-2 LB to play, especially if Bartlett and Beavers can make 2nd team LB.

I can see the surprise of this year being Bartlett since everyone raves about how cerebral he is and the fact that he was also a QB and state champ at wrestling. If not, Pounds might surprise at WR if we actually have a QB who can throw the ball.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Petersen played 8 true freshman last year and said in a recent interview he's willing to play 8 more again this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Joyner play at CB and on special teams (especially KOR), Renfro, McClatcher, and Pounds at WR, and Gaskin at RB. Petersen isn't afraid to play freshman on the DL, so Potoae might factor in, and I expected 1-2 LB to play, especially if Bartlett and Beavers can make 2nd team LB.

I can see the surprise of this year being Bartlett since everyone raves about how cerebral he is and the fact that he was also a QB and state champ at wrestling. If not, Pounds might surprise at WR if we actually have a QB who can throw the ball.

So @TTJ knows more about playing true freshmen than Peterman does?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,903
    Standard Supporter
    If McClatcher puts on some weight, I expect to see him take a few plays a game on offense, and possibly special teams.

I think we also see Joyner on offense (I don't see him as taking a CB position yet)

Myles Gaskin will play and I think he'll end the year as our best running back

I'm interested to see how much work Browning has put in between spring and fall practice. It's beginning to sound like Petersen may go all in with him sooner rather than later.

Also, either Renfro or Pounds will get the Darell Daniels award this year. One of them will have their redshirt burned for a few minutes of play a game and 1 or 2 meaningless catches on the season.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,506
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,443
    Actually, I have an addition that I forgot about that I should've included in my post: Jamon Jones.

Kid is a walk-on WR from Bethel where he played QB. He's a preferred walk-on, meaning he joined the team for the LEAP program and has always started strength and conditioning. Also, at 6'3" and 201 lbs, he's the 3rd biggest WR on our team, behind Lenius and Little.

He's the only big WR in our freshman class and, considering how there is no depth at the position, I figure he'll play this year and easily be the biggest surprise of this freshman class.

Here are his hudl highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2652108/highlights/190030376/v2
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Potoae may be the only lineman on either side of the ball to play. I also see Neal redshirting.

I see Renfro and McClatcher playing but Pounds will probably redshirt, especially with Nik Little coming in to provide depth.

We're reasonably deep at LB, just not a ton of experience beyond Feeney and Littleton so only Bartlett may play. IIRC, a couple of talented walk-ons redshirted last year so can help with 3rd string depth and Beavers is listed at only 202 lbs so hopefully he redshirts too. I could see Manu playing on special teams and / or if Victor or Lawyer get dinged b/c I think the Bob Gregory has him pegged as the heir-apparent at ILB.

My list now (post Petersen's QB comments):

Browning
    Gaskin
    Renfro
    McClatcher
    Potoae
    Bartlett
    Joyner

Turner will certainly play though he's not a true frosh.

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Actually, I have an addition that I forgot about that I should've included in my post: Jamon Jones.

Kid is a walk-on WR from Bethel where he played QB. He's a preferred walk-on, meaning he joined the team for the LEAP program and has always started strength and conditioning. Also, at 6'3" and 201 lbs, he's the 3rd biggest WR on our team, behind Lenius and Little.

He's the only big WR in our freshman class and, considering how there is no depth at the position, I figure he'll play this year and easily be the biggest surprise of this freshman class.

Here are his hudl highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2652108/highlights/190030376/v2

Meant to bring him up on the podcast.

He has the size and didnt look slow on the highlights.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,416
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

That's not how I heard and/or read it. He said they played 8 true Frosh last year and that he doesn't anticipate playing that many this year:

"We played eight true freshmen last year, and I don't know if we'll play eight again, but I know we're going to play a handful of them."
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's not how I heard and/or read it. He said they played 8 true Frosh last year and that he doesn't anticipate playing that many this year:

"We played eight true freshmen last year, and I don't know if we'll play eight again, but I know we're going to play a handful of them."
    Hopefully not too many play. I'm not sure why Dissly didn't redshirt. He obviously flashed ability, but he only played 6 games. I think he got hurt at some point, but he didn't need to play. Hopefully we don't waste Potoa'e or someone like that.