Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla's Food Thoughts - Summer Healthy Eating

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
First, it's been a while since I've posted some food thoughts ... I'm sure many have missed this.

As we are in the middle of the summer, those of us living in the basement of our two dads can have a need to get into a little bit of a better shape as we head into prime nacho eating & alcohol consumption season (abundance!!!) during the football months. So today, I bring to you the Tequilla idea behind making quality meals that taste good but have the added benefit of being healthy.

I firmly believe that the salad gets a bad rap ... but a deservedly bad wrap. Most people don't make great salads and/or destroy the positive benefits of the salad by throwing on way too much salad dressing to defeat the purpose of eating a salad. So how do you make a salad that tastes good, doesn't completely blow the point by adding on too much salad dressing, but finding enough nutritional value to get the right kind of energy (i.e. proteins) needed. Below is a standard Tequilla salad:

1 head of romaine crowns (I prefer to get a 3-6 pack at Costco and not worry about it) ... romaine is preferred because of the crunch it provides
1/2 onion (lean to either red or sweet/walla walla's)
3-4 mini bell peppers (provides crunch and color)
3-4 stalks of celery
1-2 roma tomatoes
1 large mushroom

I recommend using well cooked, and more importantly well seasoned, chicken breasts for your salad and to add the chicken in abundance. I prefer southwestern types of seasonings that add a bit of spice and flavor. Another strong candidate is to baste your chicken with buffalo sauce while cooking to keep highly moist.

To cut down the calories of the salad dressing, I recommend using one of the following. First, introducing some salsa into the salad creates moisture without adding calories. Second, adding some 7 layer dip works as the combo of beans, guac, and sour cream goes a long way. If you like really spicy food, a little sirracha can add a nice little kick.

To round the salad out, I prefer to add feta cheese ahead of more traditional cheeses. It tends to balance the salad out a bit with some typically strong flavors in place.

Best part of salads is that if prepared properly, you can eat in abundance and not worry about blowing your diet and expanding your bulge.

Comments