Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ted Likes Dwayne Washington

2»

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,485 Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

I get that he's a great athlete playing RB.

You can't teach what he has though and I still think there's more juice there for this guy to squeeze out of DW:

gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209353995

Doogles said:

HFNY said:

Maybe I'm Doogin' but it seems people are giving Washington some guilt by association because Ted Miller wrote the article.

He has size, he has speed, and he's farther along in his switch from WR to RB. Usually when he had nowhere to run, it was because the OL wasn't doing their job against the better teams in the league.

I love Dwashes athleticism and you can't teach his ability to take it to the house, but being a good runner takes some intangibles. Reading a defense, manipulating a defenders momentum, knowing where they are now and where they will be, etc.

He lacks a lot of those intangible qualities, which is why he looks like he should be in the NFL and is praying for honorable mention Pac.

Do you trust the line to simplify his decisions and amplify his strengths?
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    DWawrsh would be an ideal change-of-pace back, where teams would worry about him getting into space. If Coleman (I know, I know!) or Gaskin or Dry-Eye Knees or someone were able to take the majority of the load at TB with DWawrsh working in now and again we would be in much better shape.

He's the kind of guy that would actually make teams worry about a draw on 3rd and 8.

On 2nd and 7, though, he's nowheresville.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

DW was a different back when he returned from injury. The natural instincts will be hard for him to improve or develop but the fact that he turned things around gives me some hope. He is a home run hitter and can be a solid back if he improves his consistency. He's not going to help us against Oregon or Stanford but his home run ability can make a difference against the Arizonas and Cals.

I also think everyone here is giving up on Coleman too soon. He had 565 yards at 4.1 yards per carry. Not great but he's fairly consistent at getting positive yards, the problem is speed and elusiveness. He was only a freshman and has 3 years left. Willie Hurst averaged only 3.6 yards per carry as a freshman then averaged 4.7 his last 3 years. I read that Coleman shed a few lbs. Hopefully competition from DW and Gaskin will make Coleman positively surprise this season.

I don't mind Coleman. Definitely not a game breaker but as he gets stronger and more physical he might be a legit back getting yards after contact. Never going to be a star but probably a spot starter And consistent contributor.
  • seatownfunkseatownfunk Member Posts: 805
    I like to call him D-Dubs. TWILTD
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Coleman in the first half of the season was pretty good. He was the best back on the team. Then he got hurt and was slower than ever and started running like a bitch.

I won't be surprised if he's door.ass.out after the year and I won't be surprised if he carves out a decent role this year. Either way it will be interesting.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Austin Joyner should be the RB of the future for the doogs. His Maxpreps page said he had 115 carries last year and 27 went for TDs, with a 13 ypc average overall. Stats are for losers, but 1 touch out of every 4 going for TDs is pretty crazy regardless of the competition
  • steelheader2steelheader2 Member Posts: 368
    Myles Gaskin. Starter by Cal. Has speed, vision, great stop start. Oh and great hips
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

Austin Joyner should be the RB of the future for the doogs. His Maxpreps page said he had 115 carries last year and 27 went for TDs, with a 13 ypc average overall. Stats are for losers, but 1 touch out of every 4 going for TDs is pretty crazy regardless of the competition

I'm sure Petersen will find some way to get the ball in his hands, but every interview he's given, he's said he wants to be a CB, and he backs this up by saying RBs don't last that long in the NFL as compared to CBs. He still has a ways to go before thinking about the NFL, but it seems he won't change his mind any time soon.

That said, he's a threat with the ball, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on KOR this year, especially with Ross out, and as a gunner on punts.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Joyner ain't come here to play school running back
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,591
    Thank you for saying more of what I was trying to say. His natural instincts and consistency aren't there but if he improves a little in those categories, it will mean a lot for the offense.

Hurst had more burst (so pleased with myself) and more wiggle than Coleman. Maybe Coleman losing 5-10 lbs will help there but he's a pounder and a grinder. Dotson will be the lightning to his and DW's thunder with DB "Crazy Legs" Cooper also getting some carries in his 60th season.

DW was a different back when he returned from injury. The natural instincts will be hard for him to improve or develop but the fact that he turned things around gives me some hope. He is a home run hitter and can be a solid back if he improves his consistency. He's not going to help us against Oregon or Stanford but his home run ability can make a difference against the Arizonas and Cals.

I also think everyone here is giving up on Coleman too soon. He had 565 yards at 4.1 yards per carry. Not great but he's fairly consistent at getting positive yards, the problem is speed and elusiveness. He was only a freshman and has 3 years left. Willie Hurst averaged only 3.6 yards per carry as a freshman then averaged 4.7 his last 3 years. I read that Coleman shed a few lbs. Hopefully competition from DW and Gaskin will make Coleman positively surprise this season.