Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Shaq Thompson profootballfocus #8 most overrated player

insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12742251/trae-waynes-arik-armstead-overrated-prospects-2015-nfl-draft
8. Shaq Thompson, S/LB, Washington
People have been in love with Thompson's athleticism since he was a five-star recruit coming out of high school in Sacramento. However, all the athleticism in the world won't make up for poor instincts as a linebacker, and Thompson has yet to show he can make the necessary reads for the position. His 7.3 run-stop percentage was 41st among 58 draft-eligible starting inside linebackers, and he was an overall ineffective player against the run, outside of forcing and recovering fumbles.
Thompson's skill set translates better to safety, as he was smooth in coverage and has nickelback experience, but it's hard to feel comfortable picking a player early for a position you've never seen him play.
He did get washed out of running plays quite a bit. It seems like his stock is slipping now after being a 1st round lock most of the pre-draft cycle. Surprised this article didn't mention his running back experience though (kidding I'm not surprised ESPN sucks).

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    I'd take him in the third as a big safety or the 4th as a RB
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    He's looking like a third rounder in most recent mocks I've seen
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

That seems fair. The 1st round hype was malarkey.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited April 2015
    MisterEm said:

dnc said:

That seems fair. The 1st round hype was malarkey.
    I think he still had a shot at the first round if he would have run a 4.5 or so 40. Running in the mid 4.6's told everybody "maybe he's not as explosive as the defensive TD totals suggest" and when they started looking into it they realized he wasn't that productive outside the big plays either.

All that said, I still think he could be a go to running back in the NFL, 40 time be damned. I don't think he'll be special on defense though.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,443

insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12742251/trae-waynes-arik-armstead-overrated-prospects-2015-nfl-draft

8. Shaq Thompson, S/LB, Washington
    People have been in love with Thompson's athleticism since he was a five-star recruit coming out of high school in Sacramento. However, all the athleticism in the world won't make up for poor instincts as a linebacker, and Thompson has yet to show he can make the necessary reads for the position. His 7.3 run-stop percentage was 41st among 58 draft-eligible starting inside linebackers, and he was an overall ineffective player against the run, outside of forcing and recovering fumbles.
    Thompson's skill set translates better to safety, as he was smooth in coverage and has nickelback experience, but it's hard to feel comfortable picking a player early for a position you've never seen him play.
    He did get washed out of running plays quite a bit. It seems like his stock is slipping now after being a 1st round lock most of the pre-draft cycle. Surprised this article didn't mention his running back experience though (kidding I'm not surprised ESPN sucks).

Was he? Help me out on this one...

I remember him getting burned by a TE from ASU and a few other gaffes during his time here when he was covering WRs. He doesn't seem to have that elite safety speed to keep up with NFL WRs either (4.64 40). Still, I feel better about him at safety than LB when he's 6 foot, 228.

I think his future is brightest at RB.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,549
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Jon Ross with a torn ACL could block Shaq Thompson
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,998
    Founders Club
    Could he become an apprentice in the Legion of Boom?
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Shaq's defensive TDs (which were mostly the result of him being in the right place at the right time) expanded his mythos, which went far beyond his actual on-field production

Also, his 50 yard scamper against Eastern was so wide open and well blocked, puppy steel could have scored on that play.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2015

I thought Shaq was a year away from being truly good. He's a playmaker, you can't take that away from him. You can say, 'outside of his 4 defensive TDs', but it doesn't really make sense. Shaq was outstanding because he made things happen randomly. There's a reason why he has 4 defensive TDs and Travis Feeney didn't (or anyone else in NCAA football). It's not luck. He had a lot of DTDs while he was here.

The problem is, outside of those plays, he gets swallowed up, thinks too much and doesn't play super physical. When he knows what he's doing he's dangerous. With a ball in his hand, he's dangerous... but as a LB for us? He was consistently a B-level player with lightning strikes whenever he played all-out.

I think he could be good in the NFL if he dedicates himself to it. He just needs to turn it WAY up for that to happen. I don't enough to know if that will. A team like the Hawks could probably get that out of him, but some random team, he might wash out ASAP.

You guys roasted me a while back suggesting Shaq could have used redshirt.

Edit: what he really needed was a Peteshirt
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Do you guys think we would have been better last year if Shaq was a full time running back?
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,549
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Could he become an apprentice in the Legion of Boom?

DPOTD
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,998
    Founders Club

Do you guys think we would have been better last year if Shaq was a full time running back?

absolutely. 10 wins with that schedule
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    He really should change his attitude and play Safety, in fact he should have stayed a year to prove he could play the position at a high level
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Shaq's defensive TDs (which were mostly the result of him being in the right place at the right time) expanded his mythos, which went far beyond his actual on-field production

I have a hard time with this quote.

One TD is luck. Two TD's is knowing what to do with the chance. Three TD's or more and you make special things happen.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Regardless of where he is picked, he will have a nice career. He's versatile and should be a very good special teams player. I don't think he will be a star, but he's a safe 2nd or 3rd round pick.