Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Warning: Positive content in this thread

Sark's switch to the up tempo offense might actually help his playcalling.

The up tempo offense works best when you run the ball a lot and doesn't work at all when you throw a bunch of incomplete passes.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    He will mange to call a bunch of plays that result in incomplete passes. Rendering this whole experiment useless.

HTH.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

He will mange to call a bunch of plays that result in incomplete passes. Rendering this whole experiment useless.

HTH.

That is the probable downside. Incompletions (especially long ones) absolutely kill the tempo.

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,302
    can you run long routes to the sidelines and substitute without a huddle?
    brchco12 said:

can you run long routes to the sidelines and substitute without a huddle?

If you substitute, you have to allow the defense to substitute also.
  • santanasantana Member Posts: 75
    And now our sure-handed and best short pass receiver might be out...

Good thing we have Jaydon Mickens
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

The up tempo offense works best when you run the ball a lot and doesn't work at all when you throw a bunch of incomplete passes.

I don't think Sark's intention is to run the ball a lot. He keeps saying Price was better when they played faster. That implies passing.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,343 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2013
    Are you the same employee you were 5 years ago? I'm not....I'm much better at what I do now.

Perhaps Sark will improve also??

And I still think Chip met with his buddy Sark and showed him the UO offense and how the hurry-up works. We'll see if he was really listening....
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,169
    HuskyJW said:

Are you the same employee you were 5 years ago? I'm not....I'm much better at what I do now.

And I still think Chip met with his buddy Sark and showed him the UO offense and how the hurry-up works. We'll see if he was really listening....

How different are you from last year? Sark didn't get it coming in and I don't see any evidence that he gets it now. I think he is making changes to his offense because he is floundering and has to show he is trying something.

I hope it works.

I don't think Sark's intention is to run the ball a lot. He keeps saying Price was better when they played faster. That implies passing.
    The problem is that you can't run up tempo well with incompletions, because they give the defense time to substitute.

If they're going to pass a lot, it's going to be dink and dunk.
    HuskyJW said:

Sark is the same coach he was three years ago. Does that count?

The problem is that you can't run up tempo well with incompletions, because they give the defense time to substitute.

If they're going to pass a lot, it's going to be dink and dunk.
    Curl routes to ASJ, screens & slants to John Ross and dumpoffs to Sankey, Callier & Taylor.
  • santanasantana Member Posts: 75
    Running play-action out of the shotgun with a soft and battered O-Line is a great scheme as always
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I listened to an interview with Cozzetto, and reading between the lines, it seems like the no huddle is a gimmick because we don't feel confident in lining up and beating the guys in front of us.

Cozzetto said something to the extent that the no huddle will make the defense fatigued and worried about lining up. It seems like a last ditch resort by a coaching staff that knows they have fucked up OL recruiting and their jobs are on the line. I think we will be improved on offense this year, but we aren't going to strike fear in anyone.
    edited August 2013

HuskyJW said:

Sark is the same a worse coach he was three years ago. Does that count?
    To this point Sark did a better job with the guys he inherited considering they were slightly less talented than what he has now.

I listened to an interview with Cozzetto, and reading between the lines, it seems like the no huddle is a gimmick because we don't feel confident in lining up and beating the guys in front of us.

Cozzetto said something to the extent that the no huddle will make the defense fatigued and worried about lining up. It seems like a last ditch resort by a coaching staff that knows they have fucked up OL recruiting and their jobs are on the line. I think we will be improved on offense this year, but we aren't going to strike fear in anyone.

The theory only works if you can run a bunch of plays in a row with very little rest. You have to keep the ball moving forward AND you have to use all four downs.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

The theory only works if you can run a bunch of plays in a row with very little rest. You have to keep the ball moving forward AND you have to use all four downs.
    I agree. I'm sure our no huddle looks good when we are running it against the #2 DL. Who wouldn't look good playing against a DL of Potoae, Tupou, Finau, Banks, Cree, and true freshmen? Those guys wouldn't get a good pass rush or hold stout against the run against a #1 Big Sky offense.

When we play a strong DL, our OL will get dominated, and the no huddle will make no difference. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical. Our bubble screens won't go for 5-10 yards basically every time like they do for Oregon, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia. I have my doubts that Sark will ever have a run heavy offense. If we ran 65-70% of the time, I would feel much better.

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,932 Founders Club

Sark is not afraid to punt.

#dreckfest
  • IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158

So Sankey will go from having the 3rd most carries in the Pac-12 to #1 or #2?
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,169
    IMALOSER_ said:

Sankey is not the team.

We were 6th as a team in rushing attempts. When that is coupled with 8th for yards per attempt you end up as 8th for total rushing in the Pac-12. The only quasi-competent team we beat out was OSU. Otherwise it is us with the Utah, Colorado and WSU.... the four stooges...
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

IMALOSER_ said:

Sankey is not the team.

We were 6th as a team in rushing attempts. When that is coupled with 8th for yards per attempt you end up as 8th for total rushing in the Pac-12. The only quasi-competent team we beat out was OSU. Otherwise it is us with the Utah, Colorado and WSU.... the four stooges...
    Loser won't admit he supports Sark. He just does this bullshit