Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Steve Sandmeyer breaks the "Can't Fire Romar" barrier

2»

Comments

• Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Can we shoot down a few myths floating around these parts regarding program implosion if Romar were to be fired. That isn't further from the truth. IF, romar were to be let go at the end of this season I would expect there is a coach lined up to take the job. I would also argue that Romar may stay in a capacity in the program still to help it transition.

The players love romar, especially;y the nba guys who come back, but that really doesn't do shit for our teams. each and every year where the team is a joke.

IF, Romar was let go at the end of this year, we would still get most of the guys to come in the door.
    Then, you start fresh with everyone else. The whole program needs energy and life thrust into it. Romar is a nice guy and I wanted him to get UW bball further, but it's time to give someone else a shot

Larry K down in utah blew up that program and within 3 years they are dominate. We don't have to settle for mediocre b/c we're scared of who may be next. .

I'm for pushing him out.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

Can we shoot down a few myths floating around these parts regarding program implosion if Romar were to be fired. That isn't further from the truth. IF, romar were to be let go at the end of this season I would expect there is a coach lined up to take the job. I would also argue that Romar may stay in a capacity in the program still to help it transition.

The players love romar, especially;y the nba guys who come back, but that really doesn't do shit for our teams. each and every year where the team is a joke.

IF, Romar was let go at the end of this year, we would still get most of the guys to come in the door.
    Then, you start fresh with everyone else. The whole program needs energy and life thrust into it. Romar is a nice guy and I wanted him to get UW bball further, but it's time to give someone else a shot

Larry K down in utah blew up that program and within 3 years they are dominate. We don't have to settle for mediocre b/c we're scared of who may be next. .

I'm for pushing him out.

Why would Romar want to be around immediately after being fired? And do you believe the new coach would want him around? In due time Romar could maybe be an announcer or have a bullshit job in the AD, but not immediately after being fired.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,944
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

The problem with firing Romar is the only thing UW has going for itself is keeping Local elite talent at home. Anyone who doesn't think there will be a hometown support Romar block party featuring Nate Rob, Broy, Jamal Crawford, etc. is naive.

An influential group of professionals swears by him, it is literally impossible to fire Romar unless he completely implodes.

It's the kind of move that is necessary, but also not certifiable until a few years pass IF you make the right hire. It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

This is actually a real concern. The local guys are very much in the Romar camp. If he is fired, you risk losing the support from the former players. Guys like B-Roy and Conroy are always at Garfield games. And a lot of the Beach guys donate a LOT of money to that program. They have a lot of influence over the young guys coming up.

As much as many here don't want to hear it, Romar is liked by the majority of the fans and alumni. Basketball isn't football. And he has never tanked hard enough to force his firing. If I was a betting man, he retires at UW. O/U is 5 years.

Simply hire whoever is tasked with recruiting for Garfield (B-Roy?) as the head coach-in-waiting. The rest of the GHS/Beach hoodrats would fall in line.

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,892
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

The problem with firing Romar is the only thing UW has going for itself is keeping Local elite talent at home. Anyone who doesn't think there will be a hometown support Romar block party featuring Nate Rob, Broy, Jamal Crawford, etc. is naive.

An influential group of professionals swears by him, it is literally impossible to fire Romar unless he completely implodes.

It's the kind of move that is necessary, but also not certifiable until a few years pass IF you make the right hire. It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

^ +1

He has to have two straight poor seasons. We're talking 10-20 or so.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dhdawg said:

sandmeyer runs the only somewhat listenable radio show in all of seattle

Fire Romar and you risk losing everything.

You can't lose everything when you have nothing.

Who gives a shit if you take a step back from Romar? The program is going on 4 years without a tournament and will be relying on freshmen next year, which is something Romar has never done well with. 5 years of no tournament and you keep the coach?

Afraid of losing recruits that he will underacheive with? Who gives a shit about high school kids? A good coach will get enough local kids, and if he doesn't he'll fucking win games anyway by means of actually having a fucking gameplan.

Might a new coach do worse? Sure. But Romar is not getting this program turned around. He did well when Lute was senile and Zona going into the tank for a few years, when Montgomery was out of the league. Ben Braun, Jay John & Herb evans were about the average coaches in the league. Howland beating players was the best thing in the conference by far. Big Ern did the same at UO when the coaching sucked.

Romar's a bottom tier coach in the current Pac-12. Not sure there is a coach in the league that is certainly worse. Alford, Cuonzo and the FGC guy at least have a little time to wait and see.

Local recruits aren't going to save the program with Romar "coaching" them

Every PAC~12 coach sucks outside of krystowiak and and miller
    That said id still take 7-8 of them over romar
    Tinkle says hi.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

^ +1

He has to have two straight poor seasons. We're talking 10-20 or so.
    I've known a couple of the local talents, and I gotta say these comments are complete bullshit. Romar may be a good guy so local guys have a landing place, but they don't come here for ROMAR. They come here for the school, being close to home, etc. Seattle guys are seattle guys. I don't believe at all if we got a new coach all of a sudden they go to oregon, wazzu, osu, etc.

I would also wager(however i have no inside knowledge) that the professionals who are around romar wonder how they didn't win in college. They are happy for their success, but wonder why they couldn't win in college game. Sadly that's what romar is paid for.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    We should always be getting local talent at the UW IF we have the right coach in place ... Romar's track record of landing local talent has been up and down.

To say that someone else couldn't at least do the same is settling for mediocrity.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,944
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

We should always be getting local talent at the UW IF we have the right coach in place ... Romar's track record of landing local talent has been up and down.

To say that someone else couldn't at least do the same is settling for mediocrity.

The whole "can't get anyone else" is bullshit.

Coaching football or basketball isn't any different than running a business.

It's not like a specialized profession like rocket surgery or something where people die when you fuck up. It's sport for christ's sake.