Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

the talent gap

So despite my best efforts, I found myself starting to get sucked in, as always, by the preseason hope. Husky stadium, year two of the Wilcox era, there are things to be excited about. Then I wandered over to esuck (lol).

Christ, what a depressing reality check. One thread comparing the rosters of UO and UW had the consensus being (once you took out tards who think Colt is better than ASJ) that they'd take 4 or 5 of our players. 22 starters and they think maybe 5 of ours are better than theirs. My solace is that they are underestimating our linebackers but, even so, ouch.

Another thread broke down our star players' stat lines against UO. Take a look:

Keith Price
2012- 19-31 145 yards 0 Td's 2 Int's
2011- 24-35 143 yards 2 Td's 2 Int's
2010- 14-28 127 yards 1 Td 0 Int

Kasen Williams
2012- 6-48 0 Td
2011- 6-79 1 Td

ASJ
2012- 2-33 0 Td
2011- 1-(minus)6 0 Td

That is unreal. Our stars just straight up disappear. Anyways, crown 'em. Our "rivals" make it 10 in a row this year.*

*Although I watched a replay of the USC-UO game yesterday and was reminded that a mediocre USC offense torched the Ducks for 51 points. So hope springs eternal and all that.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Sark's offense always sucks against good to decent defenses that is something that everyone seems to forget.

Also I like how that Quook conveniently left out how Polk did against them and Sankey.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

So despite my best efforts, I found myself starting to get sucked in, as always, by the preseason hope. Husky stadium, year two of the Wilcox era, there are things to be excited about. Then I wandered over to esuck (lol).

Christ, what a depressing reality check. One thread comparing the rosters of UO and UW had the consensus being (once you took out tards who think Colt is better than ASJ) that they'd take 4 or 5 of our players. 22 starters and they think maybe 5 of ours are better than theirs. My solace is that they are underestimating our linebackers but, even so, ouch.

Keith Price

Kasen Williams
    2012- 6-48 0 Td
    2011- 6-79 1 Td

ASJ
    2012- 2-33 0 Td
    2011- 1-(minus)6 0 Td

That is unreal. Our stars just straight up disappear. Anyways, crown 'em. Our "rivals" make it 10 in a row this year.*

*Although I watched a replay of the USC-UO game yesterday and was reminded that a mediocre USC offense torched the Ducks for 51 points. So hope springs eternal and all that.

#HiMatmik!

• Options
    chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

Sark's offense always sucks against good to decent defenses that is something that everyone seems to forget.

Also I like how that Quook conveniently left out how Polk did against them and Sankey.

Sankey is a gamer, no doubt. But he can't do it himself.

2012 Rushing: B. Sankey (WASH) - 25 CAR, 104 YDS, 2 TD
    2011 C. Polk 24 80 3.3

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Sankey is a gamer, no doubt. But he can't do it himself.

2012 Rushing: B. Sankey (WASH) - 25 CAR, 104 YDS, 2 TD
    2011 C. Polk 24 80 3.3

Polk was slowed down in 2011 but he still had 6 receptions for 31 yards so over 100 yards total offense.

In 2010: He had 17 carries for 73 yards(4.3 YPC)

In 2009: 18 carries for 104 yards(5.8 YPC) with a TD.

In 2008: He was shut down only had 19 yards on 14 carries(1.4 YPC).
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2013
    Lyerla and ASJ are both really good, but I don't think Lyerla is far behind ASJ, if at all. Lyerla is faster, tougher, and far better with the ball in his hands than ASJ. I don't know who is the better blocker, but I do know ASJ isn't all that good at it. Oregon even lined Lyerla up at RB at times. I won't be surprised if Lyerla has a better NFL career.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Keith Price

Kasen Williams
    2012- 6-48 0 Td
    2011- 6-79 1 Td

ASJ
    2012- 2-33 0 Td
    2011- 1-(minus)6 0 Td

Stay off educk, its turning you into a fucktardo. Dude, you've got to have better things to do.! Holy shitballs! Watch UW vs BSU and then make assertions and roster comparisons.

If we can just find a coach by the time we play Oregon, Our rosters will stack up just fine. In other words, if Sark coaches like he did his 1st year, UO is in deep doo-doo!
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Keith Price

Kasen Williams
    2012- 6-48 0 Td
    2011- 6-79 1 Td

ASJ
    2012- 2-33 0 Td
    2011- 1-(minus)6 0 Td

Stay off educk, its turning you into a fucktardo. Dude, you've got to have better things to do.! Holy shitballs! Watch UW vs BSU and then make assertions and roster comparisons.

If we can just find a coach by the time we play Oregon, Our rosters will stack up just fine. In other words, if Sark coaches like he did his 1st year, UO is in deep doo-doo!
    2:30 bong rips >>>>> 2:30 shots of five hour energy
  • Options

Lyerla and ASJ are both really good, but I don't think Lyerla is far behind ASJ, if at all. Lyerla is faster, tougher, and far better with the ball in his hands than ASJ. I don't know who is the better blocker, but I do know ASJ isn't all that good at it. Oregon even lined Lyerla up at RB at times. I won't be surprised if Lyerla has a better NFL career.

Don't know about that

Lyerla - 25 392 6
    ASJ - 69 852 7

Lyerla is a check down. ASJ is our entire receiving core. #69

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2013

Don't know about that

Lyerla - 25 392 6
    ASJ - 69 852 7

Totally different offenses. Lyerla plays in a run first offense and has to share the ball with a lot of other guys. ASJ plays in a pass first offense where he and Kasen were the only options. You don't think Lyerla would have better stats in UW's offense?

25 receptions for 392 is an average of 15.7 yards per catch. That's not a check down. That's the highest average for any player on Oregon who caught at least 10 balls. Oregon had 7 guys who caught more than 20 passes (and another with 19), UW had 4.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Perhaps "afterthought" would be a better descriptor than "check down."

Our passing attack is built around ASJ because he's the best tight end in the country. Even Sark knows to get the best players the ball (unless it's the running back).

Chip is a good coach. And Lyerla had 25 catches all season. On the most prolific offense in the country. I'm guessing they ran more plays than anyone else. 25 grabs is really pedestrian in that context.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

Don't know about that

Lyerla - 25 392 6
    ASJ - 69 852 7

Totally different offenses. Lyerla plays in a run first offense and has to share the ball with a lot of other guys. ASJ plays in a pass first offense where he and Kasen were the only options. You don't think Lyerla would have better stats in UW's offense?

25 receptions for 392 is an average of 15.7 yards per catch. That's not a check down. That's the highest average for any player on Oregon who caught at least 10 balls. Oregon had 7 guys who caught more than 20 passes (and another with 19), UW had 4.

Are you talking about the pass first offense that ran the ball more than they passed? Or is it the Pass first offense that allowed Sankey to be #3 in Rushing attempts in the Pac-12?

Just trying to clarify.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Run to pass ratio for each team in the Pac-12 according to the 2012 NCAA stats:

Oregon - 685/373 = 1.836 rushes per pass attempt
    Arizona St. - 598/413 = 1.448
    Stanford - 549/399 = 1.376
    California - 451/366 = 1.232
    UCLA - 599/496 = 1.208
    Utah - 446/351 = 1.271
    Washington - 466/438 = 1.064
    Colorado - 425/404 = 1.052
    Arizona - 544/538 = 1.011
    Oregon St. - 442/504 = .877
    Southern California - 392/461 = .850
    Washington St. - 252/624 = .403

Since Washington ran more than they passed, I wouldn't call Sark's offense pass first. I would say that Washington's offense was balanced and below average in rushing and passing last year, probably because the touches were so heavily concentrated on Williams, ASJ, and Sankey and because the Husky OC sucks.

The primary difference between the production of ASJ and Lyerla isn't the playcalling or even the type of offense...it's the distribution of touches to different players on the respective offenses. Oregon had 7 guys catch 20 or more passes last year, and the max was 45. Washington only had four guys catch 20 or more passes and the bulk of those went to Williams (77) and ASJ (69). As you also mentioned, Sankey had more carries than the rest of the Husky roster combined.

Washington has to spread carries and receptions around for the up tempo offense to work effectively in 2013.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Perhaps "afterthought" would be a better descriptor than "check down."

Our passing attack is built around ASJ because he's the best tight end in the country. Even Sark knows to get the best players the ball (unless it's the running back).

Chip is a good coach. And Lyerla had 25 catches all season. On the most prolific offense in the country. I'm guessing they ran more plays than anyone else. 25 grabs is really pedestrian in that context.

It was the third highest on their team. I'm also looking past the stats. Boobs had a nice post showing why Lyerla didn't put up huge numbers. No receiver on Oregon did. I'm glad we have ASJ, but Lyerla does many things as good or better than ASJ.

• Options
    Looking past the stats means recognizing that ASJ put up those numbers despite an atrocious offense around him and every D keying on him.

No one playing Oregon was thinking "how do we stop Colt?!"

ASJ > Colt, and it's not that close.

• Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Looking past the stats means recognizing that ASJ put up those numbers despite an atrocious offense around him and every D keying on him.

Nobody playing Oregon is thinking that much about stopping Lyerla because they have so many other guys to worry about first. Not so with the Huskies. ASJ is a terrific talent but from an NFL standpoint it looks to me like Lyerla isn't far behind, if he's behind at all. That kid is Aaron Hernandez without the tats and the nasty habit of killing people. They'll both spend their 20's playing football on Sundays.
  • Options

Defenses couldn't key on ASJ because of Williams.

No one worried about Colt because they were focused on Mariota, Barner, and DAT.

The comparison is really apples and oranges, at best. Different players around them, different skill sets, different offenses, etc.

It's very rare in recent years that any Duck puts up the receiving numbers ASJ did last year. I think ASJ is better than Colt too as a receiving tight end. As an H-back type, I'd probably take Colt first. He can do a lot of different things, including catching a Hail Mary when necessary.
  • Options

Nobody playing Oregon is thinking that much about stopping Lyerla because they have so many other guys to worry about first. Not so with the Huskies.

That was exactly my point. ASJ is putting up these gaudy numbers against double teams. Everyone knows the ball is going to him - and most of the time there is nothing they can do about it. That incredible hail mary catch against Cal in the endzone pretty much sums it up.

Lyerla is catching 25 passes against secondaries that are gassed covering DAT and Huff and Mariota. He had as many catches as Barner, Lowe (who?), Addison (who?), and Hawkins (who?). He is a complement to their stars.

And the Hernandez comparison, um... here is his Mackey Award winning stat line:
    68 850 5

Look familiar?

Whatever. You love Lyerla, good for you. Irregardless, it's mute.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nobody playing Oregon is thinking that much about stopping Lyerla because they have so many other guys to worry about first. Not so with the Huskies.

That was exactly my point. ASJ is putting up these gaudy numbers against double teams. Everyone knows the ball is going to him - and most of the time there is nothing they can do about it. That incredible hail mary catch against Cal in the endzone pretty much sums it up.

Lyerla is catching 25 passes against secondaries that are gassed covering DAT and Huff and Mariota. He had as many catches as Barner, Lowe (who?), Addison (who?), and Hawkins (who?). He is a complement to their stars.

And the Hernandez comparison, um... here is his Mackey Award winning stat line:
    68 850 5

Look familiar?

Whatever. You love Lyerla, good for you. Irregardless, it's mute.
    They are ranked #2 (ASJ) and #3 (Lyerla) for TE's on this NFL draft prospect rating. They are both really good. Let's see how Lyerla does this year, but the Aaron Hernandez isn't a bad comparison at all. They are versatile players who can line up at TE, H-Back, and FB. You cherry picked Hernandez's junior year to try and prove a point, but what about their sophomore seasons? In Hernandez sophomore year he went for 34, 381, 11.2, 5 TD's. Lyerla went for 25, 392, 15.7, 7 TD's.

Do you really think ASJ would catch anywhere near 69 passes for Oregon? There's only so many balls to catch, and over half of Oregon's passes are bubble screens to the WR's that Marriotta calls at the line based on how the defense lines up. That's why you see no name WR's that caught as many balls as Lyerla. It's not because he isn't really good. He's a beast.

• Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2013
    You could plug our skills guys into the the Oregon offense and they would not miss a beat.

The talent gap with Oregon is in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Steve Greatwood & Jerry Azzinaro (Philly) have not got enough credit for Oregon's recent success.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    ASJ and Colt are both really good TEs, but will play very different roles in the NFL.