Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Can WSU beat Auburn?

Well prolly no, but any other pac12 team could save for Colorado. If WSU can find 11 guys on defense that can play D-1 football (that might be a stretch) Leach can prolly create enough magic to score more points than Auburn.

Everybody is praising Gus Malzone, well he's not suiting up and he has a brand new QB to work with. WSU has good experience at qb and WR. Auburn doesn't. Otherwise the two shitty teams have mirror images returning. They both suck, so WSU winning wouldn't surprise me, however unlikely.

Would love to see the pac12 make a stand vs the SEC. Snark failed fucking miserably last year but that's not saying much. Leach can actually coach...we'll see

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Christ that was an awful read.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    I would love for the cougs to win vs the sec but despite being bad auburn does have some sec caliber athletes and wsu has no o line, they lose probably 31-10
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited August 2013
    You may just want to pull for Oregon against Tennessee, and be thankful it isn't Alabama, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, or Texas A&M. If that were the case, the Pac 12 would stand a good chance of losing both games.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

You may just want to pull for Oregon against Tennessee, and be thankful it isn't Alabama, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia, or Texas A&M. If that were the case, the Pac 12 would stand a good chance of losing both games.

Oregon is not built to go toe to toe with most of the teams on that list. Kelly realized that after getting thrashed by LSU, even made the comment that they have a different kind of athlete down there. Interestingly, and in an odd way much like Don James, I believe he changed his recruiting after that SEC beat down. James had size and power without speed, Kelly had speed without power or size. James added speed, I think Kelly was in the process off adding power. Adaptation, one of the traits of great coaching.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

Oregon is not built to go toe to toe with most of the teams on that list. Kelly realized that after getting thrashed by LSU, even made the comment that they have a different kind of athlete down there. Interestingly, and in an odd way much like Don James, I believe he changed his recruiting after that SEC beat down. James had size and power without speed, Kelly had speed without power or size. James added speed, I think Kelly was in the process off adding power. Adaptation, one of the traits of great coaching.
    I don't with agree that. They went toe to toe with Auburn. And that LSU game they lost because they had 4 turnovers and 12 penalties not because of athletic ability. They actually out gained LSU.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,337 Founders Club

I don't with agree that. They went toe to toe with Auburn. And that LSU game they lost because they had 4 turnovers and 12 penalties not because of athletic ability. They actually out gained LSU.
    UW outgained LSU in 2009... Still had no chance to win
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    If UW played at Auburn I'd take Auburn give our road history in OOC games.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

I will give you LSU, but the Auburn game not so much.

They lost by 3, but Auburn's defensive line dominated that game. Anybody watching that game saw Auburn as the much better team. If they had played 10 times, Auburn would have won 9 and plunger raped Oregon in 5-6 of those nine wins. I knew we were in trouble when the teams first came on to the field. Comparing the two teams was like David vs. Goliath. My first words were, "Oh shit".

Oregon is much bigger now than they were then, because Chip learned. Hopefully Helfrich doesn't fuck up a good thing.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

If UW played at Auburn I'd take GRCC give our road history in OOC games.

Go Gators!

• BlackieBlackie Member Posts: 499
    90% of Auburn's roster is comprised of top 10 recruiting classes. Over half of WSU's is Wulff's. The lack of a semblance of even a mediocre offensive line results in more than just the first 6 inches of the plunger residing in crimson and gray rectum. Auburn by 20+.

Auburn left a lot on the field that day, and had one of the worst defenses in the SEC that year, yet they controlled the line of scrimmage against Oregon. And LSU physically had their way with Oregon, easily winning the game and leaving no doubt which team was the better. Oregon has had a lot of success lately, but they've struggled against teams with truly elite athletes, going back to the Rose Bowl vs Ohio State and as recently as last year vs Stanford. Their recent recruiting has been addressing this. The linemen they've been targeting and getting lately have the kind of size and power you'd expect to see at elite programs. My guess is Helfrich will continue down this path and they will be a better team as a result.

By the way, what do you suppose the score was in the game below? Do the stats below really tell the story?

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Rushed-yards 45-98 37-211
    Passing yards 194 202
    Sacked-yards lost 4-34 1-5
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    Penalties-yards 10-60 7-46
    Time of possession 35:49 24:11

Auburn left a lot on the field that day, and had one of the worst defenses in the SEC that year, yet they controlled the line of scrimmage against Oregon. And LSU physically had their way with Oregon, easily winning the game and leaving no doubt which team was the better. Oregon has had a lot of success lately, but they've struggled against teams with truly elite athletes, going back to the Rose Bowl vs Ohio State and as recently as last year vs Stanford. Their recent recruiting has been addressing this. The linemen they've been targeting and getting lately have the kind of size and power you'd expect to see at elite programs. My guess is Helfrich will continue down this path and they will be a better team as a result.

By the way, what do you suppose the score was in the game below? Do the stats below really tell the story?

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Passing yards 194 202
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    Is that the Whammy in Miami game? I'm assuming so. Our offense didn't really do much just had the big play to Thomas then a pick six plus a recovery on special teams. I remember Kaufman was shut down.

UW outgained LSU in 2009... Still had no chance to win
    I don't think this helps the point that the SEC just outclasses Oregon.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,337 Founders Club
    Six interceptions means it was the 65-7 game

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Passing yards 194 202
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    Is that the Whammy in Miami game? I'm assuming so. Our offense didn't really do much just had the big play to Thomas then a pick six plus a recovery on special teams. I remember Kaufman was shut down.
    No, it was November 24, 2001, the worst football game I have ever attended, but you would be hard pressed to tell how bad it was from the stats. Final score, UW 7, Miami 65.

I will give you LSU, but the Auburn game not so much.

They lost by 3, but Auburn's defensive line dominated that game. Anybody watching that game saw Auburn as the much better team. If they had played 10 times, Auburn would have won 9 and plunger raped Oregon in 5-6 of those nine wins. I knew we were in trouble when the teams first came on to the field. Comparing the two teams was like David vs. Goliath. My first words were, "Oh shit".

Oregon is much bigger now than they were then, because Chip learned. Hopefully Helfrich doesn't fuck up a good thing.
    I'm just not convinced it was a response to the Auburn game. Oregon is bigger, faster, stronger now because they have gotten the better recruits that come with winning. If Oregon had beaten Auburn and their o line played really well would they really not be bigger, faster, stronger now? It was the inevitable conclusion of having a great coach.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,448 Founders Club

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Passing yards 194 202
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    No, it was November 24, 2001, the worst football game I have ever attended, but you would be hard pressed to tell how bad it was from the stats. Final score, UW 7, Miami 65.
    Remember when giving up 65 points was an outrage that began the end for Rick? Now its a fucking résumé enhancer for Sark

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Passing yards 194 202
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    Remember when giving up 65 points was an outrage that began the end for Rick? Now its a fucking résumé enhancer for Sark
    I miss that fan base. A year after winning a Rose Bowl, UW fans had their pitchforks out for Rick that night.

Now like you said it's no big deal. Hell Sark had that happened to him twice in one year and his fucktarded AD called that incremental progress.
    edited August 2013

Washington Miami Fla
    First downs 22 21
    Passing yards 194 202
    Return yards 10 94
    Passes 17-36-6 15-24-1
    Punts 3-34.3 2-44.5
    Fumbles-lost 6-1 2-0
    Ya, and for some of us it still is. Some of us still get very concerned over giving up half that and expect to see defenses that give up no more than a quarter of that on average but are told we have no idea how much the college football landscape has changed.