Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Garfield vs Beach

Best game of the season, and a likely rematch for the state championship. Sorry, but not sorry Eastside Catholic.

Garfield was more balanced, better coached, and executed their game plan. It was a simple plan: get it down low to Alphonso Anderson. Anderson is only a 6'6" junior, but he was bigger, stronger, and just as athletic as anyone Beach had. He dominated the paint and scored at will: 35 and 19 against the top* team in state.

As I was doubting his ability to translate that to the college level, I looked over and noticed that former UW big man Jamaal Williams was now a Garfield assistant coach. Anderson played like Williams, making quick and strong moves to the hoop. He even nailed an easy 3 pointer, and handled the ball to beat RBV's press.

Anderson also showed that bigger stronger athletes can give Dejuante Murray trouble. Murray never found his rhythm, forcing shots and getting a lot of no-calls driving to the hoop in traffic. Some credit to the Garfield staff, clearly making Murray their top defensive target with double and triple teams anywhere inside the 3 point arc. Murray's supporting cast did not do a lot to help him out (three Beach players fouled out, and their 2nd best player was still injured and did not play), but it was the worst I've ever seen him play.

My sources are telling me that Anderson and sophomore teammate Jaylen Nowell have UW offers. Nowell scored 15+ points, and looked quick with a nice jumper, but Anderson stole the show. Romar was in attendance. As were Upshaw and NWG, who both ended up going into the Garfield locker room after the game. Why would two out of state guys bother recruiting local HS kids if they weren't planning to stick around??? Either way it will be interesting.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What year is Anderson? He's the guy who went to Wilson right? If so, my buddy was really high on him, but I don't think he has a real good idea how guys translate to college.

The good news for Murray is he should be getting a lot of open 3's next year if NWG stays. We will actually have options and depth at the 2/3. We shouldn't have to depend on Andrews when he's being bi-polar and giving us nothing. It's a fucking shame we are getting next to nothing out of Johnson. It was obvious last year that he has some ability. I hope he doesn't transfer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

NWG needs to stay and become a better shooter. Upshaw is a first rounder. He's averaging 12, 10, and 4.5 in Pac 12 play and it's obvious watching that he could and should get so much better. I hope he stays, but we'll see once the season ends and the real evaluations come in.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

What year is Anderson? He's the guy who went to Wilson right? If so, my buddy was really high on him, but I don't think he has a real good idea how guys translate to college.

The good news for Murray is he should be getting a lot of open 3's next year if NWG stays. We will actually have options and depth at the 2/3. We shouldn't have to depend on Andrews when he's being bi-polar and giving us nothing. It's a fucking shame we are getting next to nothing out of Johnson. It was obvious last year that he has some ability. I hope he doesn't transfer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

NWG needs to stay and become a better shooter. Upshaw is a first rounder. He's averaging 12, 10, and 4.5 in Pac 12 play and it's obvious watching that he could and should get so much better. I hope he stays, but we'll see once the season ends and the real evaluations come in.

Anderson is only a junior. Yeah, he transferred from Wilson to Garfield.

I don't think he would be a back to the basket player in college. But the only thing holding him back is his height, cuz he definitely has the muscle. He displayed shooting range, great FT shooting, quick moves, and strong hands. He looks like a TE. So imagine ASJ with actual bball skills.

Murray will do much better once he has a team of equals to play with. NWG kicking to Murray for open shots should be a regular thing next year. If teams want to take that away, Goss will have other options. Really hope he and Upshaw stay.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    TheGlove said:

NOC

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes