Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just heard an ad for Husky Football

2»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,615 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

In the old days (so 2003 and prior) ads and the horrible gimmicks weren't needed. Wininng football sells. Who knew? Also, tickets were reasonably priced. Good seats.

This team has combined with the Mariners. The Marinerzation of UW football has been tough to watch. From the gimmicks, to fans getting on you for being too "rude" at games, to the lack of caring if we actually win or lose.

Gone are the days where the final outcome was the only thing that mattered. Now I hear "You shouldn't go to a game expecting to win but to have fun" which is total Mariners 101. For me watching the Huskies win is fun and if I pay X amount of dollars and they lose that's not fun at all.
    I don't fully agree that winning is the only thing that matters. I was having a conversation fairly recently with someone about this topic. I would prefer the Huskies go 7-6 and play extremely grimy, physical football with some tight losses, than go 9-4 throwing the football all over the place and getting plunger raped in the games that really mattered.
    When you are at the game would you rather see the Huskies lose pretty or win ugly? I'll take the win every time.

I don't buy the moral victory card as so many Ty fans were rallying for.

I mean Ty's teams typically were more competitive than Sark's teams but Sark's teams win more.

When I go to a game I want to see the team win and I don't care if it's 56-0, 3-0, 42-41 I just care about the win.

I understand where you are coming from though on the blowouts. Why I was hopeful for the Seahawks after their 2nd 7-9 season as they didn't get blown out, ran the ball and played tough defense so I knew they were in for a good season in 2012.

However, in year 5 that ship has sailed for Sark. He needs to start producing some wins.
    Says who? That ship has sailed in your mind and mine, but not in those minds for whom it matters. Sark can go 7-6 and be back for 2014 as secure as ever, pumping everyone up with talks about winning championships and reminders of what he inherited.

As Sven says, with this '13 schedule a 9-4 record probably would seem hollow. Why does he say that? Because not only is the soft schedule full of mushy and unsatisfying wins, but the four losses will probably consist of three plunger rapes and a WTF loss to someone like Wazzu.

If we go 9-4 but keep the losses close and knock off teams like Oregon an UCLA, then we're really on our way.
    Exactly. I am fine with 9-4 this year if we have a big road win (or two), and win against a serious team like Oregon, while limiting our losses to sub 20 point drillings instead of 30+ plunger rapes.
    If we're a really good football team, no one (with the exception of Bama) should beat us by 20 points.