Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I heard that Mariota thanked Phil Knight

ForeskinWalletDawgForeskinWalletDawg Member Posts: 238
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper
edited December 2014 in College Football Forum
But did he thank the Indonesians?

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'd be willing to bet that that's the 1st time in a Heisman speech that a booster to the program has been mentioned ...

In unrelated news, the odds that Mariota will have a lucrative endorsement contract with Uncle Phil upon declaring for the draft?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    We have the best owner in college sports!!!

You have to thank Phil. The equipment, training facilities, locker room, academic center, indoor practice facility, weight room, football complex, uniforms, and stadium are all there because of Phil Knight. Oregon spend a couple million on Autzen way back when and hasn't spent a fucking dime since.

Phil is the reason why Oregon has the best of the best and the reason why the AD can pour money into being great at sports no one cares about. Without Phil Knight Oregon would be Oregon State. He's the reason why UW is never coming back.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2014
    Mosster47 said:

You have to thank Phil. The equipment, training facilities, locker room, academic center, indoor practice facility, weight room, football complex, uniforms, and stadium are all there because of Phil Knight. Oregon spend a couple million on Autzen way back when and hasn't spent a fucking dime since.

Phil is the reason why Oregon has the best of the best and the reason why the AD can pour money into being great at sports no one cares about. Without Phil Knight Oregon would be Oregon State. He's the reason why UW is never coming back.

like I said in another thread, it's not like he's a Pablo Escobar or Osama Binladen. who the fuck cares?

he's an American success story, having built up his empire from the ground, his business has completely transformed sports and made sports, all sports, a much bigger deal in our society than they were, and both he and his Dad are alumni of the school.

i really don't get what the issue is. every thing that fucker does is calculated to better the University of Oregon, and not just sports.

soooooooo, can someone remind me again why we don't want an Uncle Phil? I don't remember the party line.
  • Options
    Mosster47 said:

So what happens when Uncle Phil kicks the bucket? Sure, the endowment probably exists to spend money into the program. But does Nike hit the crapper? Does new management cut some of the ties to the University of Oregon that they currently have (i.e. they start hiring more qualified employees other than those that just played at Oregon and other Nike schools)? Does the money come with strings that the new individuals get power hungry with their access? There are a lot of unknowns there.

As for why Washington "isn't coming back," that's a rich statement. There are built in advantages for the University of Washington that Oregon will never have. The one advantage Oregon has that Washington doesn't have at the moment is their own version of a Phil Knight, T Boone, etc. But our downturn has been as much about the coaches and leadership of the program than it has been anything that we have necessarily lost.

In the PAC North going forward, taking out of the equation, I'd buy Washington stock on a go-forward basis before I bought Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, or the Cuogs.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Mosster47 said:

like I said in another thread, it's not like he's a Pablo Escobar or Osama Binladen. who the fuck cares?

he's an American success story, having built up his empire from the ground, his business has completely transformed sports and made sports, all sports, a much bigger deal in our society than they were, and both he and his Dad are alumni of the school.

i really don't get what the issue is. every thing that fucker does is calculated to better the University of Oregon, and not just sports.

soooooooo, can someone remind me again why we don't want an Uncle Phil? I don't remember the party line.

Mosster47 said:

People forget he has donated over $100M to Stanford too, thought I think that money is earmarked for the Business school and not for athletics.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Phil gives big to the Stanford B-school, tis true.

What's fun is that what is happening now had its genesis in the mid-90's when I was at UofO. I actually used to work part-time in Dave Frohnmayer's (the then-president's) office, and there was a very detailed plan that they had been working on WRT moving the university forward after the state basically de-funded it in the wake of Measure 5. Everything that was only being talked about in broad detail is actually happening - the independent board, athletics as part of a national campaign to increase awareness of the University, the first capital investment program, and now the new $2BN program.

The ultimate goal is to build a university with world-class programs in biotech, sports medicine and sports management in the B-school, upgrade the law school (happening), and eventally maybe even re-establish a medical school to facilitate research funding (universities with medical schools get about 3x the research funding compared to universities without med schools)

In the 1990's part of that goal was a $1BN endowment. I've heard that the endowment goal is now $2BN.

The last REAL President, Lariviere, got canned by the old state board for pushing too hard to get his way, but after they shit-canned him, the Lege caved and gave the UO (and PSU and I think Oregon State as well) independent boards of their own- which was really the last major hurdle.
  • Options
    There's no question that if the UW had a sports management program, I would have majored in that.

I hate to say it, but if I was in high school today and looking at schools, having such a program (particularly if there was an established history of success for its graduates) would have made me give serious consideration about going to that school.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I would imagine Phil has no less than $750 million willed to the University and at least $500 million to the AD. You can't take $8+ billion with you and it would be foolish to think he doesn't want his legacy to go unknown to every Duck fan for many decades to come.
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

People forget he has donated over $100M to Stanford too, thought I think that money is earmarked for the Business school and not for athletics.
    Yes, the grad school of biz, where he got his MBA. Like they need the money! LOL. But I think it stands as the largest donation even there. which is saying something.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Mosster47 said:

So what happens when Uncle Phil kicks the bucket? Sure, the endowment probably exists to spend money into the program. But does Nike hit the crapper? Does new management cut some of the ties to the University of Oregon that they currently have (i.e. they start hiring more qualified employees other than those that just played at Oregon and other Nike schools)? Does the money come with strings that the new individuals get power hungry with their access? There are a lot of unknowns there.

As for why Washington "isn't coming back," that's a rich statement. There are built in advantages for the University of Washington that Oregon will never have. The one advantage Oregon has that Washington doesn't have at the moment is their own version of a Phil Knight, T Boone, etc. But our downturn has been as much about the coaches and leadership of the program than it has been anything that we have necessarily lost.

In the PAC North going forward, taking out of the equation, I'd buy Washington stock on a go-forward basis before I bought Stanford, Cal, Oregon State, or the Cuogs.
    Sure, those are risks. If you had your way, you'd be more diversified, though I think Phil's largess tends to blind us to the fact that Oregon does, in fact, have many other friends, like, for example, Steve Ballmer and his wife who just gave them $50 million.

Like AZ Duck said, the official cutting of the ties from the state vis a vis the independent board was a huge hurdle for that school. The state of Oregon has been as anemic as the state of Washington in funding higher ed. Washington learned from the Michigan example years ago that they had behave somewhat like a private school and fend for themselves and raise money. Hence the original "Campaign for Washington" back in the day with a goal of $200 million. I was there when that was a lofty goal. Now it's nothing (even Oregon's campaign is $2 billion). The UCs are learning this now too as state funding had finally really dried up for them too.

I think Washington does have advantages, but I tend not to think of them in the FS Iron Laws sense.

Phil's mark on UofO is going to be somewhat indelible. At a minimum, it will last through our life time. And one thing that the Oregon example has helped with is give people another example to cite that funding sports is not necessarily a detraction from academics. They can be complimentary in many ways.

Even Harvard throws serious $$ at its sports facilities. My daughter was on the Charles earlier this fall and told me that Harvard has two separate boat house complexes: one for the men and a separate one for the women. Each one is huge and loaded with all the best of best and would be more than adequate for both teams. Abundance. They also recruit all over the planet for rowers. This is just one (albeit important) sport. They care.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I support Knight exploiting third world labor I just don't like where the profits go

I was the first one in the gym to wear Nike shoes because Downtown Freddy Brown was a Nike guy in the 70s. He had to be one of the first
  • Options

I support Knight exploiting third world labor I just don't like where the profits go

I was the first one in the gym to wear Nike shoes because Downtown Freddy Brown was a Nike guy in the 70s. He had to be one of the first

And I support your support of third world exploitation. Capitalizum bitches. Where Damone at?