Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TBS Browning Article

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
http://usatodayhss.com/2014/jake-browning-touchdown-passes-record-folsom-calif

Nice article, a lot of OKG free Pub.

I'm in town from the bay for the weekend so I'll be at the D1 Section Championship game tonight to watch Browning at Sac State. Not that i'm a professional scout or anything, but i've watched a lot of live football and will relay my thoughts on the guy everyone is calling Kellen Moore Jr.

I have Sacramento high school football pretty dialed in, and the hype in the area about this kid is palpable.

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also I talked with some Folsom guys close to the program and asked to compare Browning to Jake Roderiguez, the 4-star QB before him that went to Oregon then flamed out, just because Folsom does have a really great system and it makes me nervous.

Guys said Jake was more athletic, more like a Kapernick QB that would take off, and Browning was more of a Rothlesburger who was deceptively mobile and stands back and just chucks it all over the field.

These weren't direct comparisons to the NFL players themselves, but from what i saw i totally get it and am encouraged by this perspective. Essentially, Roderiguez was an athlete and browning is a Quarter Back. Roderiguez had great numbers too, but Browning just shattered the books nationally.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,980
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Great Report. That's all fine and dandy, but he doesn't look very edgy.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Ok, this kid is fucking good. Really really good.

Not one of his passes were errant. Every single ball he threw had a tight spiral, on time, perfectly placed. He moves around great in the pocket, making the subtle side steps that make would be sackers completely miss, all while keeping his head down the field. Throws great on the run, against his body or with. Really impressive stuff tonight.

Teammates absolutely love him, has that leadership vibe that seems to be really contagious. Loved how pissed he got when they were up 45-0 and a holding penalty put them back so they had to settle for a field goal.

He is actually bigger than i thought...was expecting a twig but he's got some decent size and a frame to fill.

The only knock i can make is his ball doesn't seem to have that elite late life. It's not like he's throwing floaters or balls that hang, his arm is still nice and the ball always seem to be on time with anticipation so it really didn't seem like an issue, but I wouldn't say he has a CANNON.

With him coming in the spring, i fully expect him to win the back up job at the least. He is really going to push those guys and I expect 2 to transfer because it's going to be obvious. I would say if it wasn't for the reality of true freshman starting being so rare, i would pen him in, because he looked A LOT better than anything i saw under center this year for UW.

All irrelevant. How are his hips? Fridge or shower?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    National passing TD record holder. Did it in 3 years against the best competition in NorCal, as opposed to small school Ohio in 4 years. But I'm pretty sure he's just a system guy throwing to wide open receivers, right DeYoung?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    HuskyInAZ said:

National passing TD record holder. Did it in 3 years against the best competition in NorCal, as opposed to small school Ohio in 4 years. But I'm pretty sure he's just a system guy throwing to wide open receivers, right DeYoung?

In Deyoung's defense, that team had no business being on the field with Folsom tonight. They were a cinderella story (beat my 2 seed Jesuit in the first round) and got completely destroyed out there. There were some wide open guys tonight, but everyone in the stadium knew he was going for the record tonight and they were dropping 8 and he still hit his guys perfectly. I mean perfectly. Even his bubble screen ball was beautiful, with zip, leading the receiver forward to make a move (take notes Cyley!!).
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the insight, Doogles. From everything I've seen, Browning and his team are darn impressive. What irritates me is when a poster continually states that Browning sucks. Feedback from someone who actually watched the game is refreshing.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Doogles said:

Also I talked with some Folsom guys close to the program and asked to compare Browning to Jake Roderiguez, the 4-star QB before him that went to Oregon then flamed out, just because Folsom does have a really great system and it makes me nervous.

Guys said Jake was more athletic, more like a Kapernick QB that would take off, and Browning was more of a Rothlesburger who was deceptively mobile and stands back and just chucks it all over the field.

These weren't direct comparisons to the NFL players themselves, but from what i saw i totally get it and am encouraged by this perspective. Essentially, Roderiguez was an athlete and browning is a Quarter Back. Roderiguez had great numbers too, but Browning just shattered the books nationally.

But how are his raping skills?
    Doogles said:

HuskyInAZ said:

In Deyoung's defense, that team had no business being on the field with Folsom tonight. They were a cinderella story (beat my 2 seed Jesuit in the first round) and got completely destroyed out there. There were some wide open guys tonight, but everyone in the stadium knew he was going for the record tonight and they were dropping 8 and he still hit his guys perfectly. I mean perfectly. Even his bubble screen ball was beautiful, with zip, leading the receiver forward to make a move (take notes Cyley!!).
    Hallelujah!
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    But how is Jake Browning a good QB?
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Sounds like Tom Brady
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

I'm hearing he didn't show up to the camps where old men take pictures of him and put them on the internet. That raises some serious questions

I will admit, I really hope he is incredible in college so we can point back to the LPT talking about him not doing throwing camps. Because I believe we have all the screenshots we need.
    They are all over his knob now that others are talking him up. Agenda will never override their need to be accepted by actual football people.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    edited December 2014
    " Guys said Jake was more athletic "

Which Jake? Browning? Rodriguez? Lockner?

(I know, context but still.....)

• Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    TTJ said:

Afraid to compete, I was hearing.

Yeah. I'm also hearing his arm is prone to fatigue...you know, from throwing all those TD passes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    EwaDawg said:

" Guys said Jake was more athletic "

Which Jake? Browning? Rodriguez? Lockner?

(I know, context but still.....)

My bad. J Rod was the better athlete. Browning the better qb.