Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

So, what are the Oregon Ducks going to do about their RichRod problem?

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Not exactly and insightful piece Derek.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Not exactly and insightful piece Derek.

you're just lucky that I post random links here at all.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Probably the same thing they did about their Stanford problem
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Wait until Rich Rod leaves?
  • Options
    PDXDuckFanPDXDuckFan Member Posts: 450
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1
    Mosster47 said:

Wait until Rich Rod leaves?
    Huh? Shaw beat Oregon in 2012 and 2013. Helfrich beat him this season. Beating a team as talented as Oregon 3x in a row isn't easy. I think the Ducks beat your Arizona team by at least two touchdowns.

• Options
    We struggled with Stanford until Stanford became its own problem. I think it is clear that Stanford this year has significantly declined from the Stanford of the last 4 or so years. Beating Arizona is a huge challenge - they are on a roll and have beaten Oregon twice in a row. Biggest challenge for the staff so far this year. On paper we should win (there is a nice breakdown of the advanced stats for this game at http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2014/12/3/7323967/advanced-stats-saturday-week-15-2014 ) but on paper we should have won the last two meetings as well.

Holding my breath
  • Options
    Here is some actual football talk that neither of you will probably grasp.

Mariota has lost four times, twice each to the same staff. Stanford plays an NFL style gap control 3-4 which if manned by the right people just crushes spread offenses. It contains the QB, allows a free LB for every running play, etc. Stanford had the right kind of kids the last two years, but this year not so much.

Casteel plays a front help 3-3-5, by that I mean they don't use the free safety as the hitter like most small colleges and high schools do that Rocky Hinds invented. They use one of their dogs as the hitter based on alignment and side of the field which is much harder to predict because it could be one of two instead of one of one. Football is a retardedly easy game so when you double the odds of something people get massively confused.

This defense also always sends four or five on running downs but you never know which four or five and there is also gap switching on every play between the DL and LB's. For power running teams this defense can really struggle unless you have a legit 2-gap nose tackle and UA will never have one of those so the USC's and Stanford's of the world will give them fits even if they are a shitty team record wise. For an offense like Oregon you are either going to guess wrong a lot of the time on which gap to zone making your offense inept like the last two seasons or you will just be better than them man vs man and you crush them like Rich Rod's first year.

The zone read/spread option against a front end 3-3-5 has two possible outcomes of either a fuck ton of points or very few. If turnovers are excessive that makes everything null and garbage time also doesn't count. We know Oregon isn't that much better physically than UA so a blowout simply won't happen unless UA turns it over a ton.
  • Options
    With an RB like Freeman, wouldn't Oregon be able to line up in some more traditional power running formations in appropriate down/distance and force the defense to adjust? Hell, mix in some 2-back sets with Marshall, and see how they respond, and if they overcompensate call a screen or a pass in the flat. We don't zone read every play.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    AZDuck said:

With an RB like Freeman, wouldn't Oregon be able to line up in some more traditional power running formations in appropriate down/distance and force the defense to adjust? Hell, mix in some 2-back sets with Marshall, and see how they respond, and if they overcompensate call a screen or a pass in the flat. We don't zone read every play.

It has nothing to do with zone reading, it's zone blocking in general. All a zone read does as far as blocking scheme is takes a man that would normally block first level and send him the second, which is the definition of option blocking. Power zone was effective during its creation in Denver, but Dick Lebeau invented Zone Blitzing and fucking crushed it.

Oregon's offense is built around being simple so athletes can just play and not think. Real power sets now employ different terminology, technique, and calls. It's a lot to ask for kids that only get 20 hours to prepare total and can't work with coaches in the off season.

The two back set and even three back sets (Diamond) can have some use in the option game but you put yourself in a disdvantage long term because any time a defense can bring another defender in without an offensive threat to fill that space the offense is behind in the numbers game.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, I forgot that no one actually talks about football on football boreds.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The way I see it, just like the Oregon offense makes teams prepare a bit differently, the results are making me think that our defense should do something for the 3-3-5, since it has given us fits.

I'm still learning to think in schemes.
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

The way I see it, just like the Oregon offense makes teams prepare a bit differently, the results are making me think that our defense should do something for the 3-3-5, since it has given us fits.

I'm still learning to think in schemes.

Why, so we would have a permanent Stanford and USC Problem? The adaptive 4-2-5 is the wave of the future.

• Options
    ToiletSeatToiletSeat Member Posts: 150
    Mosster47 said:

The zone read/spread option against a front end 3-3-5 has two possible outcomes of either a fuck ton of points or very few. If turnovers are excessive that makes everything null and garbage time also doesn't count. We know Oregon isn't that much better physically than UA so a blowout simply won't happen unless UA turns it over a ton.

So is 24 points a fuck ton or very few?
  • Options

Mosster47 said:

So is 24 points a fuck ton or very few?
    Have you not watched football outside of the SEC? 24 gets you beat almost every night outside of the south.
  • Options
    ToiletSeatToiletSeat Member Posts: 150
    No reason to be testy, six string, I was only seeking clarification of "fuck ton."
  • Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Mosster47 said:

Here is some actual football talk that neither of you will probably grasp.

We know Oregon isn't that much better physically than UA so a blowout simply won't happen unless UA turns it over a ton.

What?