Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cyler Miles is a top 10 QB... huh?

sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
I realize non of his completions count... but, that Sophomore QB?... the QB who is in his first season as a starter, who was banned from spring and summer... who is in his first season in a new system with a new coach... who lost his best receiver to the defense? well...

According to the NCAA, Cyler Miles as of this moment, ranks as the #10 returning QB in the nation in passing efficiency. I know... bad realease, too dumb, can't run... etc., etc., but fax are fax.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

They've actually done a pretty good job of treating him with kid gloves, so to speak. He hasn't been asked to exceed his skill set, hence the lack of interceptions. They managed this despite the lack of a decent running game to lean on.

Unfortunately it also reflects in the 3-5 conference record and lack of a quality win.

Bingo. Miley Cyrus has improved, but he's still got a noodle arm and brain lock. He dropped the ball at a critical moment yesterday, too.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Im sure I will be undressed for this, but I would argue that Miles being in that position on that list is a testament to Jonathan Smith. Miles has some massive limitations that have had to be hidden for him to be in that spot. The OC is the one hiding those.

Fire away.
  • Options
    Nevertheless, he's one of the most efficient QB's in the country. Some like to stress his failures and project a first year QB won't improve over the next THREE YEARS.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,451
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I realize non of his completions count... but, that Sophomore QB?... the QB who is in his first season as a starter, who was banned from spring and summer... who is in his first season in a new system with a new coach... who lost his best receiver to the defense? well...

According to the NCAA, Cyler Miles as of this moment, ranks as the #10 returning QB in the nation in passing efficiency. I know... bad realease, too dumb, can't run... etc., etc., but fax are fax.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Where is he in yards?

Most of Miles' passes are short, safe passes, which means a high completion percentage and high passing efficiency. He also doesn't throw interceptions in these situations, which factors into the passing efficiency.

I am curious how many yards he has in relation to the other returning QBs or what his numbers look like for intermediate and deep passes.
  • Options
    Yeah, but Peterman can't coach at 'this level'
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I never completely bought into the fire/bash Smith rhetoric ... I thought it was a lot more of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Not saying that he hasn't had his moments where you were shaking your head, but at the same time it's hard to call plays with a hand tied behind your back as well.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BayDawg said:

Im sure I will be undressed for this, but I would argue that Miles being in that position on that list is a testament to Jonathan Smith. Miles has some massive limitations that have had to be hidden for him to be in that spot. The OC is the one hiding those.

Fire away.

That's what I was getting at. What is open to debate is whether or not he could have done things a little different, a play call here or there or a different approach altogether, and eked out a couple more wins. Smith had a tough job. I don't feel qualified to evaluate him.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You would make a great dawgman poster TS.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    And without the weapons to do it, and a horrible running game
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    I see a little 50/50 here. No Miley in spring ball, a very limited skill set and a rookie OC. Not a winning combination. Miles still can't make more than one read, and gets skittish in the pocket very quickly. I will be surprised if he is the starter next year.
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    I don't know wtf is up with him simply dropping the ball, but I've said before I don't think he's as bad as some on here believe.

I think he has a long throwing motion which leads to problems. He has to make reads and decisions sooner and hopefully will get better at it if he's the starter next year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Miles is an average QB right now, but a lot of you who bash him used Price's efficiency as evidence of how good he was.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,445
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Miles is an average QB right now, but a lot of you who bash him used Price's efficiency as evidence of how good he was.

And you used Oregon State as an example of his potential
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Link?
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Link?
    Www.hardcorehusky.com
    El oh el
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UCLA, Oregon State, and BYU were a decent sample size to see Miles could play a little. He's not a great QB and probably never will be, but he's nowhere near as bad as some on this board thought he was. It's his first year as a starter, in a new system, with no Spring ball, and sharing reps in fall camp. Some of that has to factor into analyzing him. Petersen has been experimenting all year and made Miles go outside his comfort zone.

There has been a battle of what Miles does well vs what Petersen wants his QB's to do. Miles wants to run and Petersen wants him to hang in there and find receivers downfield. Some of that, or at least I hope, may have played a part in how hesitant Miles has looked most the season. I'm starting to think it was a good choice and will pay off in the long run.