Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Money grab in my inbox

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Office of the President header graphic

Dear UW Alumni Association members:

We are in the midst of an important national conversation about the value of a university education. It is an issue I know matters a great deal to UWAA members, as loyal supporters of both the University of Washington and higher education. Tonight, CNN Films will explore the costs and benefits of a college degree in a provocative documentary called “Ivory Tower.” The film takes a broad look at issues many universities are facing, including poor graduation rates, the growing student debt load and the challenges and obstacles — both financial and, in many cases, cultural — faced by low-income and first-generation students. And while I applaud the exploration of these issues and encourage you to tune in, I also offer what can be lost in the discussion: that some public universities are pioneering solutions in passionate, world-class ways. The University of Washington is leading the pack.

The role of public higher education as an engine of social mobility and societal advancement is at the core of what the UW stands for as one of the world’s great public universities. A central tenet of our mission is to do all we can to ensure that any student who has worked hard and earned the academic credentials to be admitted to the UW can be here, regardless of economic circumstances. We are proud of our record as a gateway to boundless opportunity for all students. As a society, we must ensure this gateway continues to be open.

A recent study by the Economic Policy Institute found that in 2013 Americans with a four-year degree earned on average 98 percent more per hour than those without a college degree. Similarly, the U.S. Census Bureau reports that the lifetime earnings of college graduates are nearly $1 million more than those with a high school diploma. For individuals, a university degree can be the difference between poverty and prosperity.

College graduates are also most likely to embrace — as part of their life’s endeavors — a commitment to making the world a better place. They are 43 percent more likely to volunteer in their communities, according to Tufts University’s civicyouth.org, whose data also suggest that more than two-thirds of young people with bachelor’s degrees engage with our political process: They vote. For American society, indeed for the world, these virtues are the requirements of our shared progress. They include the understanding that prosperous and vibrant communities, healthy families, active citizenship — indeed democracy itself — often require a commitment to “we” ahead of “me.”

At the UW, we certainly have not escaped the challenges of the past decade. The great recession accelerated a decades-long shift in the business model for public higher education, reducing state support and placing the lion’s share of costs squarely on students and their parents. But as is our way at the UW, we have faced these issues head-on and with proven success.

For more than 150 years, we have been providing students from all walks of life one of the finest educations in the world. At the same time, we’ve developed programs to foster the economic diversity of our campus populations for generations to come. A third of UW undergraduates receive support through the Husky Promise, a program that guarantees that full tuition and standard fees will be covered by grant or scholarship support for eligible Washington state students. Thirty percent of our private endowment funds scholarships. We’ve built academic support programs to help all students be successful, including the 30 percent who are the first in their families to attend college. Our graduation rates are high, with more than 80 percent of students graduating within a six-year period.

We have proven and continue to prove that a public university can be both racehorse and workhorse: providing a world-class education while still being accessible to all.

The mission of higher education will continue to be debated, in political venues, in classrooms, in community centers, in films. There are important issues for all of us to address. But at the UW, we remain resolutely optimistic. Every day, thousands of young people pursue their dreams here — some would say the American dream — and accomplish extraordinary things. We are committed to remaining their gateway and guide — for the good of all of us.

Sincerely,
President Michael Young's Signature
Michael K. Young

The Ivory Tower, will air at 9 p.m. EST on CNN. Your comments and engagement are welcome through UW Impact.

THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:
Office of the President, 301 Gerberding Hall, Box 351230, Seattle, WA 98195
© 2014 University of Washington | Contact Us | Privacy Policy

Manage Your Subscriptions or Unsubscribe
Problems displaying this message? View the online version

W

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    You should reply back, asking where all their money is going, because it sure isn't being spent on the football program.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,529
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can you ask them why the raised in-state tuition every year I went there?
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,998
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I received an invite from the UW to go see Jesse Jackson speak. That would be cool, and stuff
  • Options
    Cuogar_GoldCuogar_Gold Member Posts: 360
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    HuskyInAZ said:

The role of public higher education is to EDUCATE. It's not research and all that goes along with that. $12,000/year for in-state students is absurd. As an example, take Psych 101. When I was in school, it was "taught" in Kane Hall, with over 700 students. It was a 5 credit class, therefore 33% of a full load for the quarter. A little math tells me that each student in that class is paying over $1,300 to attend. Running that class for 3 quarters leads to $2,800,000 for the university. Where in the hell does that money go?

The public university system is an abomination.

lol it's roughly $11,000 in-state for Wazzu, and there are so many idiots running around saying, "Wazzu TRULY serves the citizens of Washington, unlike UW."

But why are cuogs complete fucktards?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The University of California just approved a 28% tuition hike just weeks after giving top administrators a 20% raise, all of whom make more than $300,000/year. In response, several hundred students from UC Berkeley have begun an occupation of Wheeler Hall demanding a tuition freeze and more occupations are expected across UC campuses. To put the tuition hikes into perspective, tuition at UC was $719/year in 1980. After the approved hikes, tuition will be $15,600 for in-state students and $44,500 for out-of-state students

OCCUPY UW!!!!! DO IT.....Maybe THIS will unite the fan base....let the healing begin.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    jecornel said:

The University of California just approved a 28% tuition hike just weeks after giving top administrators a 20% raise, all of whom make more than $300,000/year. In response, several hundred students from UC Berkeley have begun an occupation of Wheeler Hall demanding a tuition freeze and more occupations are expected across UC campuses. To put the tuition hikes into perspective, tuition at UC was $719/year in 1980. After the approved hikes, tuition will be $15,600 for in-state students and $44,500 for out-of-state students

OCCUPY UW!!!!! DO IT.....Maybe THIS will unite the fan base....let the healing begin.

Yep. 50 UCLA students tonight just did a sit in on the football rivalry bonfire (litterally sat on the pieces of tinder) tonight over the rate increase. Had to cancel the bonfire over it.

Mora's reponse was "we don't need a fire to get fucking turned up" (direct quote). It's on the twitters, I am sure it will go viral
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

jecornel said:

Yep. 50 UCLA students tonight just did a sit in on the football rivalry bonfire (litterally sat on the pieces of tinder) tonight over the rate increase. Had to cancel the bonfire over it.

Mora's reponse was "we don't need a fire to get fucking turned up" (direct quote). It's on the twitters, I am sure it will go viral
    what brave heros. i cant wait for my kids to come home one day to tell me about the 50 brave bruins who sat on fire so that they could go to school. thanks for posting this
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

jecornel said:

I'm not a huge Mora's coaching, but that is great.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    When i went to UW, a few years after the last Ice Age, Tuition was a minor issue for most. Today, you have to question the intelligence of a person who invests the dollars being spent, if the anticipated degree is not a well thought out investment. General education majors should be shot.

I saw a cartoon showing a guy standing in front of a desk labeled " Student Loan Payment", with his diploma in hand . The caption had the guy saying to the woman behind the desk "I decided to turn this in and ask for a refund"
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,091
    Founders Club

The explosion in the cost of education is another indirect result of the massive credit bubble which itself came about after going off the gold standard in the early 1970s. Credit makes things more accessible to everyone but it also pushes up the cost. 0% rates and no standards made it so everyone could get a mortgage. Guess what? Housing went into a bubble where the average person was hurt and home ownership rates plummeted.

Why is education so expensive? Because any asshat can get a fucking student loan. More people are attending college, more demand = higher costs. Very similar to the housing bubble.

Want education costs to stop rising? Abolish student loans. How do students pay then? Easy. Scholarships is one route. Going to a local community college and working a part time job is another route before transferring. You'd take your education very seriously and study something that would payoff in the real world. Also by paying for it yourself you would take it a lot more seriously.

This is one of your best posts ever.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

jecornel said:

Awesome
    Sounds like the implosion is imminent.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Gates and zucker didnt finish college nor has 81% of the NFL