Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to Tequilla

Re: the last 30 seconds, even day after I've been really struggling with your belief that this was the right call because we should have feared a 4th and 6 which they'd only go for if we called TO, and that our offense was so bad and no kickoff returns were returned long that day so giving us zero chance for either was better than a small chance, etc...

Today in the pole you expand that a bit to say that "most" coaches will make the same call in the coming weeks, which I take to mean you believe this was the right call regardless of any other factors

You seem pretty confident on this point - can you share some any examples from the past where a coach did something similar at the end of a game? Bonus points if the coach isn't fucktarded but any examples will do

Using the timeouts just seems such an obvious choice (and one we've seen countless coaches do in that situation) and would be great to see some examples of your counterpoint

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I thought it was 4th and about 2 or so as Arizona ran the ball on 3rd down to pick up the first and got stuffed.

My general recollection is that facing similar situations coaches tend to let the clock run down. I'm sitting in a bar right now so I'm not in a position to go look up stuff from the past.

One thing to keep in mind is let's say that we call the timeout and then in our aggressiveness to block the kick we go offsides or commit some other penalty ... Then Arizona has 30 seconds and a timeout to get closer.

He made a 47 yard FG - kudos to him.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    No - it was 4th and 6 - just went back and checked it - Solomon got stopped for no gain. Does that change your opinion at all?

I'm curious why you think they would have only gone for it if we called TO - they run hurry up they probably get another play off in 10 seconds, or they could have used their own timeout
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    It was really stupid. It shouldn't be argued. It's basic clock management. If he missed the 46 yarder, you kneel one time and the game is over.

Yesterday Tequilla said if Petersen called time out Arizona could have went for it. It was 4th down and Arizona was down 2 points. That should tell you all you need to know about what you are dealing with.
  • Options
    I said that bc I thought it was 4th and short - opinion would not be the same at 4th and 6 about rich rod going for it.

The kick was going to decide the game - we weren't going to score if we called the timeout - no logical reason to think that we would.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I said that bc I thought it was 4th and short - opinion would not be the same at 4th and 6 about rich rod going for it.

The kick was going to decide the game - we weren't going to score if we called the timeout - no logical reason to think that we would.

How do you not realize how stupid this is? Are you fucking kidding me?
  • Options
    Which part?

KO goes through the end zone. Where is Miles going to find the 40 yards to get into FG range? Running a 2 minute drill requires command and leadership out of the QB position - not his strengths.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    Tequilla said:

Which part?

KO goes through the end zone. Where is Miles going to find the 40 yards to get into FG range? Running a 2 minute drill requires command and leadership out of the QB position - not his strengths.

We know the game was PROBABLY over. Miles likely would not have gotten into FG range. I give up. You're hopeless. You can believe what you want to believe.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    That would be one of my biggest criticisms for the coaching staff...call a TO there, save the TO on the kick (which could end up being reverse-psychology on a kicker expecting a TO freeze), and then have 1 or 2 left over for a desperation drive (important in case Miles runs a good distance on a passing down where Arizona is worried about a deep pass).

Yes, it's another "What If" counter-factual scenario but a 4% chance of winning the game is better than 0%.

But all of the penalties, the bad snap on the PATs, the sloppy fumbles are too Sark-esque and the pace of rooting that stuff out isn't happening fast enough. Since we lost, it's magnified 100x more.

Lost in all of coaching criticism, no one is talking about Miles barely progressing. Two stupid fumbles, a lack of throwing the ball to only where his WRs can catch it (not to mention Kendyl Taylor making him look good) and his whiny body-language after a few hits are reprehensible to me.

Tequilla said:

Which part?

We know the game was PROBABLY over. Miles likely would not have gotten into FG range. I give up. You're hopeless. You can believe what you want to believe.
  • Options
    Yeah we are down to the crux of it - sure feels like a losers mentality to give up a slim chance to come back to have no chance at all. Really hope that wasn't petermans reason...

@Tequilla‌ would you have wanted TCU to do that if they were in that position? I'm betting you would have wanted them to call timeout...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yeah we are down to the crux of it - sure feels like a losers mentality to give up a slim chance to come back to have no chance at all. Really hope that wasn't petermans reason...

@Tequilla‌ would you have wanted TCU to do that if they were in that position? I'm betting you would have wanted them to call timeout...

No, because Boykin and TCU have shown they can score quickly (sarcasm). The fact that Tequilla thinks Miles' ability has anything to do with why we think know Peterman made a fucktarded decision speaks volumes.
  • Options

TCU blew a 21 point lead at Baylor that may cost them a shot at the National Title.

Was I pissed? Absolutely.

Was I going to to go off all half cocked about any stupid decisions that Patterson made in that game? Absolutely not.

First thing that a lot of people on this board need to learn and realize is that no single play wins or loses you a game. Once that is grasped, you realize why getting pissed at one thing here and there is completely counterproductive.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Lost in all of coaching criticism, no one is talking about Miles barely progressing. Two stupid fumbles, a lack of throwing the ball to only where his WRs can catch it (not to mention Kendyl Taylor making him look good) and his whiny body-language after a few hits are reprehensible to me.

Yeah unless peterman thinks there is room for improvement, and a real chance for him to be the guy again next year, then we are at the point in the season where every snap he gets is a bit of a waste. I'd like to see them give Williams another shot even if just a couple series a game in the last two. Let's see if there is any upside there outside of a data point of a 60mph wind day against a top 10 team.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Which part?

A quarterback as shitty as Miles who had gifted the ball to the opponent unforced was not going to take this offense to field goal position with the amount of time left on the clock. We've seen that situation or a similar one a few times now with Miles. He is fucking terrible, and when you can't throw plus now you're gifting the other team the ball unforced, you are the majority of the problems.
  • Options

No, because Boykin and TCU have shown they can score quickly (sarcasm). The fact that Tequilla thinks Miles' ability has anything to do with why we think know Peterman made a fucktarded decision speaks volumes.
    You realize in the last 24 hours you're turned into the whiniest fucktard on this board?

Here's where you're absolutely full of shit ...

Petersen calls the timeout ... Arizona misses. We take over, have to make a snap, and Miles in all of his fucktarded wisdom decides to drop the snap and Arizona recovers. They turn around and kick a game winning FG. You'd be all up on Petersen's ass for the end game management in that situation.

It's really simple - you're expecting perfection. Very rarely are you going to have anything that approaches that. Even the best coaches make decisions that are easy to criticize in hindsight. Easy to get all up on Petey's ass today for how the Hawks lost. Your impatience would result in you firing a good coach too early on a consistent basis. I could give you a laundry list of coaches that are great coaches (ones that you'd clearly have no problem with being at the University of Washington) that you'd have run out of town because of some of their performances.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,822
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

You realize in the last 24 hours you're turned into the whiniest fucktard on this board?

Petersen calls the timeout ... Arizona misses. We take over, have to make a snap, and Miles in all of his fucktarded wisdom decides to drop the snap and Arizona recovers. They turn around and kick a game winning FG. You'd be all up on Petersen's ass for the end game management in that situation.

It's really simple - you're expecting perfection. Very rarely are you going to have anything that approaches that. Even the best coaches make decisions that are easy to criticize in hindsight. Easy to get all up on Petey's ass today for how the Hawks lost. Your impatience would result in you firing a good coach too early on a consistent basis. I could give you a laundry list of coaches that are great coaches (ones that you'd clearly have no problem with being at the University of Washington) that you'd have run out of town because of some of their performances.
    This is fucktarded. When was the last time in the modern football era a snap has been fumbled in the Victory formation? I'll take those odds every fucking time.

Your argument falls apart in-light of this.
  • Options
    pawz said:

Tequilla said:

This is fucktarded. When was the last time in the modern football era a snap has been fumbled in the Victory formation? I'll take those odds every fucking time.

Missing my point then ...

Odds of what I described happening are about .0001%.

Odds of our fanbase throwing blame on the coaching if that DID happen is about 99.9% likely.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    Tequilla said:

You've been on Petersen's nuts all season. You predicted 12-1. The Hawaii game was a well coached game. Non conference games didn't matter. Different excuses after every other loss. AuburnDawg would be extremely proud of you and the fact you have blamed everything and everyone but Petersen all season long. That used to be called a doog. I don't know what the fuck it's called anymore now that Petersen is coach.

I agree that Miles' fumbles and many other plays made a difference in the game. Without them, we aren't talking about this. But if you want to focus on that, how about a ton of penalties, shitty snaps, and missed extra points?

I think you are a fucking idiot because you can't seem to grasp why this was terrible clock management. If Miles fumbled a snap on a kneel down play, I would blame Miles all the way. You are really pressing with that.

I don't want Petersen run out of town. He will get his time. I will be as happy as anyone else if he wins big at UW. I didn't expect perfection. I expected 10 wins. I expected better than 2-5. Enough with the fucking excuses. Acknowledge that he has sucked this season and hasn't been what we hoped for. It doesn't mean we are doomed or there is no hope. But by all means, keep sucking Petersen's dick at every opportunity if that is what you want to do.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,822
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

pawz said:

Tequilla said:

Missing my point then ...

Odds of what I described happening are about .0001%.

Odds of our fanbase throwing blame on the coaching if that DID happen is about 99.9% likely.
    QBs have had their hands up Center's asses since the beginning of time. If THAT gets fucked up in the victory formation, no way you blame a coach.

But I don't bash the kids. Don't twist.
  • Options
    You've clearly missed the 50-100 posts I've made this season calling the coaching out for the bad decisions that have been made. Some of those bad decisions have reasoning and rationale behind them. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It's really simple with our fanbase ...

We haven't won the conference since 2000 ... that's too long in the minds of many and the impatience gets ramped even higher each year.

Oregon's success makes the lack of success we have unbearable.

Our lack of success since 2000 isn't Petersen's fault ... but he's bearing the frustration of the fanbase for everything since 2000 ... which also isn't right.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

You've clearly missed the 50-100 posts I've made this season calling the coaching out for the bad decisions that have been made. Some of those bad decisions have reasoning and rationale behind them. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It's really simple with our fanbase ...

We haven't won the conference since 2000 ... that's too long in the minds of many and the impatience gets ramped even higher each year.

Oregon's success makes the lack of success we have unbearable.

Our lack of success since 2000 isn't Petersen's fault ... but he's bearing the frustration of the fanbase for everything since 2000 ... which also isn't right.

Or it's really been about this year, the fact he is 2-5, and hasn't beaten a winning team all year.