Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

jsmith & subbing & other stuff

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,609
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
edited November 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
Well, where to start with this one is the question. UCLA clearly has better talent, and Petey will need to find war daddy's in the trenches to compete moving forward.

Flat team to start. Miles may have hit the 3 footer around noon and was still a little high. Coaching staff may have been experiencing a contact high.

I am not a Miles fans, he has no consistency of any kind. Jsmith rotates 7 receivers, meaning Miles cannot develop any rhythm or rapport with any of the receivers. CAMPBELL is getting the most snaps of any receiver......INSANE.......Lenius makes a huge catch and then doesn't see the field for two quarters. When the coaching staff wants a 10 yard loss they just dial up a reverse to Mickens....Brilliant. Atoe, a future NFL left tackle, was atrocious yesterday.

Shaq is Shaq and plays with incredible intensity. Though all Cooper does is make plays then Washington comes in now. Washington did have a nice TD run. Cooper has earned more playing and doesn't get it.

The defense missed Shaq, which is no surprise. Bierra was a disaster last night, tackling was a disaster. Kikaha was an enormous loss for D, obviously. Feeney played a good game, about the only bright spot.

Pettis showed his two star abilities as the corner on the deep ball was with him stride for stride on that deep ball on the right side of the field toward open end of the stadium.

Can't understand why Smith goes away with what is working and THEN dials up just ABSURD plays to kill drives.

The hurry up offense was disgusting. NO urgency. It almost felt like it was a scrimmage as opposed to trying to win the game.

Refusing to not involve Ross on the offense is totally bizarre, though Ross, at the end of the game, just assumed the ball was too high and quit on the play.

I am at a loss with the sloppiness, pooch kicking (15 years now that a kicker can't put it in the end zone), and untimely penalties. Watching Miles come out after a kickoff and get a delay of game was one of the worst penalties we have probably ever seen.

Softy doubts they win a game the rest of the year. I say they beat OSU. Zona is a loss enough on that. Apple Cup? Falk throws for 550 yards and 6 TD's and Dawgs lose by 1.

Pete needs the extra practices, needs to connect with the team, and dig in the off season because next year could be impossible to watch if this shit continues.

For all the people thinking Browning will be a savior as a true freshman: you need to find a beach and take a walk with the wife for some perspective.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Don't think that Browning will be the savior as a true frosh ... but I do think that there's better than a 50/50 shot at this point that he's the starter next year.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Hint: On a tl;dr post, throw a picture of a hot chick after a couple paragraphs (a fat one to maintain irishdawg's interest).

I am here to help.
  • Options
    On the WRs, I think we just have a flat out flawed group. Some are midgets (Mickens). Some are young and not refined yet (Pettis with a few great examples of this). Some are broken (Williams). I'd agree that constantly rotating them is less than ideal, but none of them are separating themselves from each other on the grand scheme of things. It'd be one thing if this was the one thing holding Miles back ... but honestly, it's way down the list on that front.

There were a number of examples yesterday where in my opinion you saw a number of what I'd term as selfish plays. There's no doubt that dialing up the reverses in the red zone are ridiculous. However, at the same time, Mickens took what should have been a 3 to 4 yard loss and turned it into a drive killing 10 yard loss by dancing around and trying to go backwards and around everybody. It's a great example of the legacy that to me is magnified in watching some of the Sark players still on our roster and also looking at Sark's SC team. A well coached team is still going to make mistakes. But what they do a really good job of doing is not compounding their mistake. IMO, these are some of the biggest "attention to detail" situations that we have. Having a 3rd and 12 and sliding at 10 yards instead of sticking your nose up in there to try to get 12. In some areas, that's youth and inexperience. In other areas, it's just players being brain dead.

Atoe's not a future NFL left tackle, he's a future Top 5 pick in the draft. Enough said on that.

The hurry up offense with Miles is a brief glimpse into the reason why he's got absolutely no chance at being a QB at this level. Forget his abilities as a thrower or decision maker. The bottom line is that he consistently demonstrates a lack of command and leadership abilities at the position. The reason why QBs love 2 minutes drill situations is because they get the chance to make decisions on the fly often without coaching interference. Miles has not shown any indication of making clear and quick decisions. You see that when you get delay of game penalties because everybody is looking to Miles to call a play and he's clueless about what to call or how to audible out of a play into something else.

The pooch kicking had everything to do with not getting the ball in Adams' hands. That being said, there were opportunities for better execution there.

We will definitely get another win - our losses in conference are quite frankly to teams that have better talent than us that we're going to be significantly challenged on beating without QB play. We definitely need the practices because we have a lot of young guys that need to find ways to get better as well as a number of guys that have the opportunity to have some positional switches happen and practices for the bowl game will go a long way in helping to flux those changes out.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

Well, where to start with this one is the question. UCLA clearly has better talent, and Petey will need to find war daddy's in the trenches to compete moving forward.

--NOPE. Fuck "war daddies". They're important, but we have talent... we need to get them to play like we have Shelton, Kikaha, Thompson and Peters this year. Feeney looked decent last night. We have guys right now that can become war daddies (Mathis, Qualls, Baker, Lenius, Pettis, blah blah) if they are coached up.

Flat team to start. Miles may have hit the 3 footer around noon and was still a little high. Coaching staff may have been experiencing a contact high.

--YUP. What the fuck. There is a LOTTTTTTT of Gilby/Ty/Sark #mentalweakness left in this team.

I am not a Miles fans, he has no consistency of any kind. Jsmith rotates 7 receivers, meaning Miles cannot develop any rhythm or rapport with any of the receivers. CAMPBELL is getting the most snaps of any receiver......INSANE.......Lenius makes a huge catch and then doesn't see the field for two quarters. When the coaching staff wants a 10 yard loss they just dial up a reverse to Mickens....Brilliant. Atoe, a future NFL left tackle, was atrocious yesterday.

--YUP. Campbell is a case where I think Pete is essentially trolling. Campbell practices 'the right way' and he's already said F this year. He wants guys to learn that if they practice the right way, they play. I agree with that. I don't agree with DiAndre Campbell ever having been recruited in the first place.

Shaq is Shaq and plays with incredible intensity. Though all Cooper does is make plays then Washington comes in now. Washington did have a nice TD run. Cooper has earned more playing and doesn't get it.

--SORTA. Washington still has no vision and ran into the backs of his linemen a lot. The TD run was good, everything else was mediocre or shit. Shaq is fucking amazing and Cooper looks like the best of the rest, but does not run with consistency.

The defense missed Shaq, which is no surprise. Bierra was a disaster last night, tackling was a disaster. Kikaha was an enormous loss for D, obviously. Feeney played a good game, about the only bright spot.

--YUP. Feeney is improving like everyone else. Bierria is a pile of shit right now, but he's a RS-Frosh.

Pettis showed his two star abilities as the corner on the deep ball was with him stride for stride on that deep ball on the right side of the field toward open end of the stadium.

--NOPE. Pettis is a stud and almost had that TD catch. He just forgot to tuck it... he's made a lot of plays for a true frosh, but he's not going to be fucking Jerry Rice from day 1. The kid is good.

Can't understand why Smith goes away with what is working and THEN dials up just ABSURD plays to kill drives.

--YUP. Even Brando and Quinn were totally mystified. He is a fucking tinkering nitwit. Whenever something works, he abandons it because he loves what 'it's setting up.' That's what all dumbshit OCs do, they think about 5 plays from now instead of what works now. He's Red Zone Ebola.

The hurry up offense was disgusting. NO urgency. It almost felt like it was a scrimmage as opposed to trying to win the game.

--YUP. Miles is a braindead fuckhead.

Refusing to not involve Ross on the offense is totally bizarre, though Ross, at the end of the game, just assumed the ball was too high and quit on the play.

--SORTA. Pete's dicking around, trolling, seeing what works. He's testing. I don't take it that seriously.

I am at a loss with the sloppiness, pooch kicking (15 years now that a kicker can't put it in the end zone), and untimely penalties. Watching Miles come out after a kickoff and get a delay of game was one of the worst penalties we have probably ever seen.

--YUP. This is the only thing that worries me, but I bet we see massive improvement next year.

Softy doubts they win a game the rest of the year. I say they beat OSU. Zona is a loss enough on that. Apple Cup? Falk throws for 550 yards and 6 TD's and Dawgs lose by 1.

--NOPE. We beat OSU and WSU. Have you forgotten that we beat the shit out of Colorado and Cal? No way either team is better than those. UCLA played well, but we will get better as we have been all season. The problem is we have new players. If Kikaha comes back, we definitely win at least 2 more.

Pete needs the extra practices, needs to connect with the team, and dig in the off season because next year could be impossible to watch if this shit continues.

--YUP. Extra practices are massively critical this year.

For all the people thinking Browning will be a savior as a true freshman: you need to find a beach and take a walk with the wife for some perspective.

--YUP. I'm still hoping Troy takes it, but it's not gonna be Browning.

TL:DR - NOPE, YUP, YUP, SORTA, YUP, NOPE, YUP, YUP, SORTA, YUP, NOPE, YUP, YUP.
  • Options

@Tequilla, you continuously place the blame on Miles without even acknowledging the coaching. Is it going to take 0-12 before you utter a negative word about them? I see the same thing as you, but why does Miles look so uncomfortable? Why was he so clueless running the two minute offense? Why did we stop calling runs for Miles until this week?

[Teq: Miles plays scared and timid to me. He plays like he's afraid of making mistakes and is often unaware of what is around him. I'm sure he's being coached up. If he wasn't the entire staff should be flown into West Africa and dropped right into the middle of an Ebola filled Hospital. I can live with Miles making mistakes as a young QB. What I can't tolerate is that Miles makes the same basic mistakes week in and week out. He shows marginal improvement. And in reality he misses many very simple plays that are there. To me, a lot of his weaknesses at the QB position are not things that you can sit in a film room and teach. You either have it or you don't.]

And when Lindquist and Williams started, it was much of the same. They all play scared and hesitant. All three of them. They took off to run at the wrong times and had poor pocket awareness. Does coaching not play a role in any of this? You may disagree, but the play calling and scheme has been terrible. It was actually better this week despite the fucktarded reverses in the red zone. Run the fucking ball. Mix it up with some QB runs. Play action. Call some shots down field. Play to his few strengths. Miles' delivery and indecisiveness fucks up the short passing game. The bubble screens have been a waste all season.

[Teq: I agree that the play calling was better this week but the QB play as a whole is in the putting lipstick on a pig category. They've called plays getting Miles out of the pocket with a TE dragging with him to the sideline wide open and Miles will miss him. They'll dial up play action passes in the red zone with a TE to the corner of the endzone and Miles throws it late and inaccurately. They'll call a WR to the flat on the goalline running to the pylon and Miles won't throw the ball to where it needs to be. My biggest pet peeve for a QB is when you have a QB that has to wait for a WR to come open before throwing it versus throwing a WR open. I'm not sure how many times this year that we could say that Miles threw somebody open - I know it's not many. I agree that trying to find calls that he can execute well should be the focus. I don't think it is easy. I think that they are struggling in some playcalling areas by trying to be too cute or work too hard to find something that works versus going back to simple calls and asking the players to execute it.]

I would think after watching Boykin at TCU you would realize how important coaching is, especially in regards to QB play. I don't remember Miles playing so scared and indecisive coming last year when he came in at half time against UCLA. Same for his start at Oregon State. It hasn't gotten any better all season either. I don't get how you can continuously ignore the coaching.

[Teq: Boykin is actually a very good example. In 2 years as a QB, he made a number of mistakes and it was painful to watch. One area where he was particularly terrible was in having to go through his progressions which often led to terrible footwork. Once his footwork got destroyed, he was terrible. The offensive system change helped him in that they played more to his strengths (arm strength, his ability to run, and simplifying the reads). It doesn't often show up on TV, but he's still missing a ton of plays in the passing game. But what he is able to do well they are maximizing and it's working. There's no doubt that Miles has regressed this year. What the root causes are to me are tough to pin down. Is it simply that he's got more film out and teams are able to know what he can, and more importantly can't, do? Is it because he's been instructed to protect the ball and is playing scared? Are the coaches continuously putting him in positions to fail? The one consistent thing I'm seeing out of Miles is that his decision making just flat out isn't good enough. Whether that comes from not making throws that are there or trying to pass his mistakes on to others, it's just flat out not good enough. It's hard when you're not behind closed doors to figure out how much to throw on the coaches and how much to throw on players. We see the performance of the players. We don't really see the coaching.]

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    TL, DR summary of this thread: Disagree
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

TL:DR summary:

It's a chicken or egg argument.

Does Cyler suck because of the OC' play calls or does the OC's gameplan suck because Cyler can't play.
  • Options
    H_D said:

Does Cyler suck because of the OC' play calls or does the OC's gameplan suck because Cyler can't play.
    Pretty much this in a nutshell
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,460
    H_D said:

Both suck.

Cyler sucks b/c he can't pass with anticipation and Petersen's offense requires the QB to pass with anticipation.

Smith sucks b/c they haven't realized this and they haven't developed a passing game around Cyler or Lindquist or Williams.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,547
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you can't see that Miles doesn't have it you need to take a walk with your wife and get hit by a bus
  • Options
    WedgwoodDawgWedgwoodDawg Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2014
    Holy fuck. Did I get wooshed, or is this the fucking longest tl,dr ever?
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

H_D said:

Both suck.

Cyler sucks b/c he can't pass with anticipation and Petersen's offense requires the QB to pass with anticipation.

Smith sucks b/c they haven't realized this and they haven't developed a passing game around Cyler or Lindquist or Williams.
    So....Abundance?