Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Canard pillow fight ...

I got to thinking.

A coach's record in a mid-major can be picked apart. He doesn't have the every day struggles of the Power 5. He only has to get "up" for one big game a year ... 92-12 is equivalent to 54-50 at a big time school. And if he gets one good player, well that one kid can win all those games himself.

So, let's look at talent. Across the board what is the one governing body who doesn't care about school status, but cares only about talent. The NFL.

From 2006 to 2013 Peterman coached Boise State ... from 2007 until 2014 the NFL drafted 20 players from his squads. Four of those players went 1st round. Four wend 2nd round.

How does that compare to the other guys from BSU who have gone on to other jobs? From 1994 until 2006 BSU had a total of 7 players drafted. The location in the draft ... 6th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 6th, and 2nd.

Compared to the two time defending 2nd place North team ... Oregon. 2007 until 2014 they had 29 players drafted ... 3 in the first round, and 6 in the second round.

If we turn the argument on its head ... one would guess Oregon would hold a large advantage in players sent to the draft. And Peterman would have not seen an explosion from 2007 on in his drafted players.

Something tells me he develops players, which leads to winning records.

I could be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,910
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

A coach's record in a mid-major can be picked apart. He doesn't have the every day struggles of the Power 5. He only has to get "up" for one big game a year ... 92-12 is equivalent to 54-50 at a big time school. And if he gets one good player, well that one kid can win all those games himself.

So, let's look at talent. Across the board what is the one governing body who doesn't care about school status, but cares only about talent. The NFL.

From 2006 to 2013 Peterman coached Boise State ... from 2007 until 2014 the NFL drafted 20 players from his squads. Four of those players went 1st round. Four wend 2nd round.

How does that compare to the other guys from BSU who have gone on to other jobs? From 1994 until 2006 BSU had a total of 7 players drafted. The location in the draft ... 6th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 6th, and 2nd.

Compared to the two time defending 2nd place North team ... Oregon. 2007 until 2014 they had 29 players drafted ... 3 in the first round, and 6 in the second round.

If we turn the argument on its head ... one would guess Oregon would hold a large advantage in players sent to the draft. And Peterman would have not seen an explosion from 2007 on in his drafted players.

I could be wrong.

Not the case.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You lost me at 92-12 is equivalent to 54-50 at a Power 5 school.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2014
    HuskyJW said:

You lost me at 92-12 is equivalent to 54-50 at a Power 5 school.

He's mocking Canard.

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    yeah well, Oregon had 9 players taken in the first 2 rounds. Boise State only had 8

9 > 8 Oregon wins again
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,006
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2014
    Your data must be flawed. Otherwise, 0regon should have done better against Boise on the field of play.

• Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    Only six of the current 16 NFL truck school alumni players are on the offensive side of the ball, Peterman's specialty. Next to none of them have posted meaningful stats this season.

50 of Peterman's wins at spud state holds a clipboard for Detroit. Your draft effect is also explicable by increased TV exposure drawing a greater quantity of marginal NFL talent to BSU as anything The Process can lay claim to.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Canard, oh nevermind. I just realized I don't care enough.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

You can't compare 1994-2006 BSU to 2007-2013 BSU. They were in the Big Sky and Big West until 2001.

If ya wanna go 2001-2006 then so be it.

The big thing is that Peterman had the HUGE advantage of recruiting the talented academic dumpster fires that couldn't get in to Pac 12 schools. His player development is good. But so is just about every other Pac 12 coaches'.

And As you mentioned, he only had 1-2 tough games to get ready for every year.

Koetter set the plate for Hawkins who served up a 37-3 program for Petersen.

Petersen took that and ran with 2 BCS wins.

But Petersen is just one of about 9 or 10 quality coaches in the Pac 12 now. Given the Dubs recent history, it will be an accomplishment to get consistently much more over the hump than Sark got.

You all hate to hear it but it's true.

Those that think Peterman is the ticket to the 2-4 Rose Bowl per decade years are in for disappointment.

It's equivalent to thinking the Cougs will now be auto-perennial 8-10 game winners every year because Mike Leach is the coach.

Things have changed dramatically in the years since both of our Rose bowl appearances. With the emergence of Oregon, Stanford and the recent resurgence of the Pac 12 South, it will be tough for either Washington schools to be REAL title contenders more than once per decade.

It's the new normal whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

You can't compare 1994-2006 BSU to 2007-2013 BSU. They were in the Big Sky and Big West until 2001.

The big thing is that Peterman had the HUGE advantage of recruiting the talented academic dumpster fires that couldn't get in to Pac 12 schools. His player development is good. But so is just about every other Pac 12 coaches'.

But Petersen is just one of about 9 or 10 quality coaches in the Pac 12 now. Given the Dubs recent history, it will be an accomplishment to get consistently much more over the hump than Sark got.

Those that think Peterman is the ticket to the 2-4 Rose Bowl per decade years are in for disappointment.

It's equivalent to thinking the Cougs will now be auto-perennial 8-10 game winners every year because Mike Leach is the coach.

Things have changed dramatically in the years since both of our Rose bowl appearances. With the emergence of Oregon, Stanford and the recent resurgence of the Pac 12 South, it will be tough for either Washington schools to be REAL title contenders more than once per decade.

Let me understand you.

Putting more first rounders in the NFL in Oregon over comparable periods ...

Academic dumpster fires ... those kids could only go to Boise State? Why couldn't they get into Wazzu? BSU has one of the highest academic ranks in the country ... so these kids suddenly learn ... that is great coaching too!

Mike Leach was a one eyed king in the land of the blind ...

You're dribble is nothing but sour grapes that your one eyed king sucks balls.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,006
    salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

disagree

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,930
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

Stanford is starting to fade and it's extremely hard to stay elite (say top ten) every year. See USC, LSU, OU, Ohio St, Florida for a few examples. There's more parity, but there's also opportunity. It's not as difficult as you make it out to be to go from good to really good or great with the right coach when there's money, resources etc.

It's true that it's not 1986 when established programs could stockpile 120 kids and roll over the Cougs and Beavers with second stringers.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice spouting of an incorrect myth as always.

BSU has the same admittance requirements as almost everyone else. Most schools use the NCAA minimums. The only exceptions in the Pac 12 are Stanford and (I think) UCLA.

Some schools are prime destinations for JC transfers because they offer a major that allows them to accept credits for dumb JC electives (usually PE classes). I haven't looked, but I don't believe BSU leaned heavily on JC recruiting.
    salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    chuck said:

BSU has the same admittance requirements as almost everyone else. Most schools use the NCAA minimums. The only exceptions in the Pac 12 are Stanford and (I think) UCLA.

Some schools are prime destinations for JC transfers because they offer a major that allows them to accept credits for dumb JC electives (usually PE classes). I haven't looked, but I don't believe BSU leaned heavily on JC recruiting.

salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

Stanford offered Jameis Winston.

They have no standards.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

chuck said:

salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

They have no standards.
    He didn't want to fuck Condi right between the gap in her teef?
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    topdawgnc said:

chuck said:

salemcoog said:

topdawgnc said:

I got to thinking.

I could be wrong.

This post is half right.

They have no standards.
    He didn't want to fuck Condi right between the gap in her teef?
    Da fuck? Does that sound like "right in the pussy" to you?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    WDWHA said:

They have no standards.

Stanfud lowers standards for football players as they do for regular admits as part of their whole "we try to have a diverse student population" BS. Then again Winston had a 4.0 GPA. Put another way, classroom learning/skills do not translate nor predict intelligence in the real world. Fuck her where?
    Jameis' 4.0 <<< Jack Lockner's (I presume) 2.0
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If Jake and Jameis took an IQ test, I'm betting on Jameis. I'm not even kidding.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

If Jake and Jameis took an IQ test, I'm betting on Jameis. I'm not even kidding.

For both of them on the Wonderlic, the O/U is 5.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Wonderlic makes me giggle like a fucking baboon. Do baboons giggle?