Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

4th of July Husky Talk

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
So...as I met various people yesterday, some for the first time, the topic usually moved to "are the Huskies going to be any good this year?"

I didn't meet a single person, from a fan of another team, to a casual UW fan, to Tyee members, to Hardcore TUFF blue collar remoras, who thought Sark was the right coach. Not one person said they thought he was the guy to move the team to the next level. To a person, they all said he did some good things initially, but then went flat and even backtracked. No one said "Incremental progress". If anything they talked about "Incremental regression". They consensus was if UW is not an extremely good team this year, he needs to go. Some mentioned Keith Price as not being a very good QB. I pointed out as a soph. he set records. How one go from record setter to below average? After a bit of discussion, the answer was coaching.

So in my unscientific poll, I think the general UW fan population is more in line with our thinking than the thinking that comes out of the propaganda from the cult of personality created at dm.com

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Silly. Everyone loves Sark.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2013
    Most younger fans (age 20-30) I talk to think Sark is actually a very good coach. When I ask why, they always say the same thing. 0-12, all of his QB's in the NFL, good recruiting rankings, way better than Ty, Herbstreet calling Sark "one of the best playcallers in the country." Basically all fluff, but for some reason, many idiots are buying it.

People who remember UW having success all know Sark sucks. The media manipulates some dummies into thinking Sark is good. If you watch the games, you see how flawed his teams are, and it is not going to change. As pathetic as it is, I think Sark's enthusiasm and great press conferences trick the lower iq fans into thinking he is much better than he actually is. Many people will listen to anyone who is deemed an "expert."

To some, the honks and other members of the media know much more than them. If the Honks say Sark is a good coach, then he must be a good coach. We saw the same thing with Ty. Rick Redmond and Shaun Alexander supported Ty, and they know way more about football than any of us. There are also morons who would support anyone who was UW's coach.

I don't know how anyone could ignore the OL/DL issues, the lack of discipline, the road record, the very minimal improvement over four years, and the soft teams who are very boring to watch. Nobody outside of UW fans enjoys or gives a shit about watching our team.

All the Coug and Duck fans I know love Sark. They want him to stay as long as possible, which says it all. Many of them seem to be smarter than the UW fans I encounter.

I think the line of thinking regarding Sark is pretty split, but the smart, educated fans all know he is not the guy, and is an average (at best) coach.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    I don't know anyone of any age who has actually watched Sark's teams get routinely plungered and come away thinking he's a good coach.

Damone is right, most see that Sark did some good things initially but prematurely plateaued and has since regressed. For many it's already door.ass.out time, for more it's "win big now or door.ass.out time", and for a few followers of the cult of personality at dm.com it's "he needs more time", but there are those even in that group who are starting to see the light.

None of this matters, though. The offices of Woody and Young are all that really matter at this point. When another 7-6 season is rolled out, they will either act or they won't. I go against the company line on this and believe they will act, however, that may or may not improve the situation. Fucktarded is as fucktarded does. They could replace 7 win Steve with 5 win Frank, which would be supremely fucktarded. They have the monetary resources, facilities and location to bring championships back to Seattle. All it takes is some good old fashioned competence, and that has been in short supply on Montlake for a very long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Good research Damone! This is the reason I spend $10 a month on here is for the premium content.
  • ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    The average fan is more in-line with the thinking here after they were anticipating 9-4 at the end of last year. However, I do worry that we'll wait one year too long to fire Sark. 7-6 I think there is a 50-50 shot he gets fired and I'd lean to him getting fired. 8 wins and he'll survive unfortunately and be a lameduck coach and nothing will get solved.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

The average fan is more in-line with the thinking here after they were anticipating 9-4 at the end of last year. However, I do worry that we'll wait one year too long to fire Sark. 7-6 I think there is a 50-50 shot he gets fired and I'd lean to him getting fired. 8 wins and he'll survive unfortunately and be a lameduck coach and nothing will get solved.

7-6 there is a 100% chance he comes back. I would be surprised if he gets fired for 6-7.

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I voted the comment down because I am jealous how many "up" votes you get. It helps my self esteem if people like my stuff.
  • did you have a "safe and sane" 4th? was the beer cold? Or did you enjoy a nice crisp white wine instead? Salad?
  • RancidRancid Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I want Sark to have the breakthrough season he's been striving for and get that 8th win. Instead of the abstract incremental progress the naysayers just can't accept, let's get some rubber on the road to show REAL progress.

Also tired of Sark Day always falling so close to Independence Day. I like my holidays spaced out a little more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    O/U Sark Day being May 7th.

I'll take the over.
  • section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #Sark day on February 10th ought to get the job done