Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Time to Lightly Doog - Defense

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,204 Swaye's Wigwam

DL - EDGE - #1s Zach Durfee & Voi Tunuufi #2s Isaiah Ward & DeShawn Lynch & DT #1s Sebastian Valdez & Jacob Bandes #2s Jayvon Parker & Logan Sagapolu

Edge isn't the best I can ever remember it being but it's certainly deep. Feels like there are legit 6-7 players who could could/will play and have promise. Tunuufi is underrated for making plays and there's at least a ton of practice hype around Durfee. Ward also sounds like a practice hero.

Valdez was kind of forgotten about and feels like he could be an all conference guy. I'm still dooging on Parker after he put opponents on roller skates at some key times in limited action the past couple years.

LB - #1s Alphonso Tuputala & Carson Bruener #2s Bryan Parham & Drew Fowler

Easily the most proven group on the team. Bruener is one of the best returning LBs in the Big 10 and he and Tuputala have played a ton of football. I like the depth with Parham and Fowler too. This certainly isn't 2008 USC. It should be very reliable at worst though.

DB - #1s CB Ephesians Prysock & Thaddeus Dixon S Justin Harrington, Cameron Broussard, & Kamren Fabiculanan #2s CB Elijah Jackson & Jordan Shaw S Makell Esteen, Tristan Dunn, and Peyton Waters

This group I am starting to doog might be really good, an improvement from last year, and be something they can lean on. I love the size overall and with Prysock as the #1 CB. I like Dixon beating out Jackson for the other starting spot. The safeties are super experienced and could actually be an upgrade from last year.

Comments

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,245 Swaye's Wigwam

Bruener is lined up to be one of my favorite Dwags ever

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,772 Founders Club

DL- Cab Valdez be a “push” for Tuli? Can Sagapolu assume Ale’s role? Can Bandes take that half step in development and not be a liability? I mean he came back for the grind one more year when he didn’t have to. Can either Parker brother or Davis be B1G stout? They also have a 315lbs JC guy. Is he anything more than a tub of goo? So many questions and not one you can point to and say, “yup, he’s done it and we can rely on that dude.” Not one.

LB- Agree on Bruener. If he’s healthy he’s in for a big senior season. I think Parham might get a lot of PT if he truly knows what his roll is. He’s fast. The RS Frosh from Bosco. Can’t remember his name. I think he could also make a push. His HS film was unreal and he was trinity league MVP, he’s just short. Tupatala seems slow. I’m not sure if he’s actually a step slow or a step slow in processing the play but it always seems he’s just behind where he could be to make big plays.

Edge- Durfee is a practice legend. When I see it on game day I’ll believe it. I want to believe. Ward was a man in the Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma. I’d pencil him in at one side. Reports say Wayne has been flashing. He’s such an impressive looking human. I hope Kafusi can get the light to go on. Lane is still around. All he did was consistently play as a true freshman on a team that played for a title. Wooley, you mentioned that the bodies look good on the hoof. I agree. No more are the days playing 6’3” 235 Psalm with 6’3” 240 Potatoes O’Brien. These guys are all 6’5” or taller and between 235 and 290.

DBs- This group makes me want to doog a little as well. Prysock is a legit all conference DB and the winner of Jackson and Dixon will show well. Good depth, good height and good length across the board.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam

Why do you think Voi starts over Ward?

Not that it really matters, DE is deep

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,038

Prysock is an upgrade over Muhammad. Had we been able to pull Tacario (i still dont understand how we fucked up the rape and pillage of Arizona so badly), we would have had one of the top 3 cb groups in the country. LB group will be great. Safety should be solid. Line and Edge could go either way. Will be a testament to our coaching abilities.

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,204 Swaye's Wigwam

Hum, I think the hype is building on Ward enough to put him over Voi. Voi also might be best as like a sixth man type anyway since he's a tweener. I would be a bit worried about Ward in the Big 10 at 6'5 220. Michigan killed us early running straight at Trice with him getting upfield and being more of a pass rusher. I wouldn't be surprised if Wayne gets a lot of run there as a huge guy told to just hold the edge.

I really am starting to doog on the secondary and I know there's probably sour grapes in the mix but I really think Prysock could easily be an upgrade over Muhammad. Guys like Tacario and the OL not just coming to UW to stay and fight for Brennan really stings as those guys coming could have easily pushed UW into the preseason Top 25, even without Tetairoa and Fifita.

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,772 Founders Club

Voi is as heavy as he’s ever been at UW. I think he’s listed at 282. Seems like he might be an interior DL on third and long. He’d be great at that, he’s got a knack of finding opponents behind the LOS. I’m here for it.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,292 Swaye's Wigwam

Ward dominated Oklahoma's OL

Regardless, Voi is a stud that can seemingly play anywhere.

Nothing changed with me. 8-4 is the floor.

Have to start 5-0 and find 3 more wins in a tuff back stretch.

I think the dawgs win handedly at Iowa. Big fans finally going to understand that Pac offenses are superior to all but the top 3 teams in their league...by a fucking lot.

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,693 Swaye's Wigwam

Ward finished 2023 with 5 TFL and 4 sacks while Davis had 5.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. They would've been #2 and #3 on the team last year (behind Trice), so they're going to see plenty of snaps.

Tunuufi, Durfee, Wayne, Lane, and Holtzclaw will all see playing time, so we really have 7 DE who can play this season.

Hiems could rotate in too

• HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,314 Swaye's Wigwam

Don’t do this to me

I can’t handle any sort of expectations this year

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,245 Swaye's Wigwam

I crave a D that has has both edge and power up the middle. I don't mind if it bends as long as it doesn't break

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

That's not Canadian. I didn't see a single "eh" , "hoser", or "take off hoser".

I think canadawg could be an imposter. My guess is he lives in Minnesota or, more likely, Bellingham.