Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

An update on Landen Hatchett, and 14 other things to know about Day 5 of Washington camp

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 61,986 Founders Club

We normally break these down in Swaye's Wigwam, but from time-to-time I post them here on the main board to dissect.

SEATTLE — It isn’t that Landen Hatchett can’t yet withstand contact, Brennan Carroll said. In fact, Hatchett said Monday that he’s working regularly with Zach Durfee, another potential starter recovering from surgery, on one-on-one battles and run fits.

“The thing we’ve held him out (of) is team situations,” said Carroll, the offensive coordinator and o-line coach, after Monday’s practice. “Where there’s a lot of bullets flying, multiple players, guys can get tangled up — things like that. That’s the only thing we’ve protected him from. He’s done everything else.”

It remains to be seen, though, when Hatchett, still rehabbing a December ACL tear, might switch from running resistance sprints on the sideline to snapping the ball to Will Rogers during 11-on-11 periods.

So far, Hatchett has spent most of UW’s training camp working out with a small group of teammates who are similarly recovering from injury, such as safety Kam Fabiculanan, defensive lineman Jayvon Parker, safety Justin Harrington and safety Tristan Dunn (receiver Denzel Boston joined the group on Monday with an apparently minor ailment). Asked when Hatchett might be ready to participate in team periods — a milestone that would indicate some possibility of playing in UW’s Aug. 31 opener — Carroll replied: “Pretty soon. Not too far … give or take.”

Hatchett can see progress. He said his top sprint times are even faster than what he ran pre-injury, “and the next big step from there is getting back into cutting and changing direction, and after that, you’re pretty much full go.”

Only a sophomore, Hatchett already is viewed by the coaching staff as a key figure in the locker room, and is a member of the team’s leadership council. Portland State transfer D’Angalo Titialii has taken most of the No. 1 center snaps with Hatchett sidelined, and Zach Henning has mostly played the position with the No. 2 offense. 

As for his potential availability for the Weber State game, Hatchett said: “I don’t want to put a date on it, but I would love to be out there.”

Here’s what else to know about Washington’s fifth practice of training camp, again held mostly on the east field in mid-70-degree temperatures.

1. It’s not a stretch to believe Washington’s season is going to go as its o-line goes, considering all the change and relative inexperience at certain spots. Right tackle Drew Azzopardi transferred from San Diego State over the winter, and already feels like something of a veteran. Only one of the four linemen to his left — right guard Enokk Vimahi, Titialii, left guard Gaard Memmelaar and left tackle Soane Faasolo — were practicing with him this spring. I wondered what that must be like for him. “It’s going great so far,” Azzopardi said. “We’re all obviously from new spots, new places. We’re all just trying to come together, be a collective unit, communicate well, and really, that’s the biggest thing for an o-line — just getting the communication down and making sure we’re all on the same page.”

2. Memmelaar, of course, has been at Washington the past four seasons, but was still recovering this spring from the injury that wiped out his 2023 season. Actually, Carroll said, Memmelaar’s recovery went ahead of schedule, so he could have done a bit more toward the end of spring. But coaches decided to hold him out and not push it. Now, he’s taking every rep at left guard with the No. 1 offense.

3. As for the other guard position, coach Jedd Fisch hasn’t been shy about saying UW recruited Ohio State transfer Enokk Vimahi, a sixth-year senior, to come in and start. That’s been reflected in the reps so far. “He’s got a great foundation, and the transition for him is just working at our terminology, working into the way we do things,” Carroll said. “Each coach and each program is going to be a little bit different. And just making those adjustments. He’s done a fantastic job for us. He’s played a bunch of reps. He looks great out there. I’d expect him to be a big help this season.”

4. Faasolo has taken nearly all of the reps as the starting left tackle, but Carroll also said transfer Maximus McCree has “done fantastic, man.” He did acknowledge: “We’re gonna put some weight on him. But he’s a natural ballplayer. He knows how to play the position, and we’ll just keep developing that aspect of it. He’s done great.” McCree has played left tackle with the No. 2 offense. Long way to go until the season, but Faasolo appears to have the inside track at this point.

5. As for Azzopardi’s scouting report on Vimahi, from playing next to him: “Great guy, man. Everyone loves him, as soon as he came in. Great energy, great dude. I just can’t wait to play next to him. Great player, too.”

6. With Boston apparently recovering from an injury, freshman receiver Audric Harris saw plenty of reps with the No. 1 offense and made several catches during 11-on-11 periods. Even with Boston available, Harris appeared in position to at least contribute this year. When I asked receivers coach Kevin Cummings about young players he expected to rely on, he mentioned Harris right away. Originally an Arizona signee, Harris followed the coaching staff to UW and enrolled in time for spring practices. At this point, I’ll be surprised if he redshirts.

7. Another young player Cummings mentioned — and who took a bunch of reps with the No. 1 offense in the spring — was redshirt freshman Rashid Williams, but I haven’t seen him at the last few practices. I asked Carroll about him on Monday, and he said Williams has “a little bit of injury issues, but I expect to see him back not too far from now.” That’s meant more scrimmage reps for walk-on Camden Sirmon. Another second-team staple: Arizona transfer Kevin Green Jr., who is playing a lot behind Giles Jackson in the slot.

8. Speaking of Giles Jackson, he looks more and more like a veteran with each practice. His routes are crisp and his hands are steady. Jackson caught touchdown passes on consecutive throws from Will Rogers during a red-zone period near the end of practice, the first a slant from about 8 yards, and the second a fade amid tight coverage from Jordan Shaw. Jackson made a really tough catch in the end zone on that one. Jeremiah Hunter also was a frequent target during 11-on-11 throughout practice, though Elijah Jackson made a nice play to break up a fade to Hunter in the end zone thrown by Rogers during a red-zone period.

Comments