Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HuskyFanPodcast: Fall Camp Analysis

http://traffic.libsyn.com/huskyfanpodcast/Aug19FallCampPodcast2.mp3

Topics....

12s going overboard, How Good is UW's Front 7?, Coach Choate, Young Players & Depth in Front 7, Budda Baker & DBs.

Second half of podcast- Preseason obsession w/ returning QBs, Loss of Sankey & how Good Dwayne Washington will be, Biggest fears/Greatest concerns, Quarterback, OL's biggest challenges.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Fuck. Yes. Suddenly I don't dread the Bay commute tomorrow.
  • Options
    KoolAidManKoolAidMan Member Posts: 319
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    Very thorough job on the podcast. Looking forward to next week's.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did you address Washington's fumbling issue?
  • Options
    The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Excellent! Keep up the good work guys. Its good to hear some conversation about what you saw with your own eyes at practice, since nobody else in the media is talking about this team right now.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Excellent! Keep up the good work guys. Its good to hear some conversation about what you saw with your own eyes at practice, since nobody else in the media is talking about this team right now.

There's no reason for the media to talk about this team for another month.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,606
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A bit juvenile for my tastes.
  • Options
    chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Think the front 7 will be pretty good, but LIPO. Best in the conference? Top 10 nationally? That would be an incredible feat.

This same group of guys still has to show that they can stuff the run.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,621
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    As stated in the cast. They could be top 5 after the preseason games..... They would have to fall apart to drop signifcantly there after...plus with a few other basement dwellers on the schedule.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    jecornel said:

As stated in the cast. They could be top 5 after the preseason games..... They would have to fall apart to drop signifcantly there after...plus with a few other basement dwellers on the schedule.

What would we need to see from CP's UW to take them from 25 to top 5 over course of playing 4 shitty teams? How much can they really prove against even Illinois?
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    maybe top 5 after stanford and cal rolling into oregon. But not before that. Nobody is going to respect wins over illinois and EWU.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    If Price was back everyone would be jizzing over UW, calling us a top 15 team. However, I don't see a huge difference between Price and Miles. Price is a better passer but Miles offers the run threat and will have better protection.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Think the front 7 will be pretty good, but LIPO. Best in the conference? Top 10 nationally? That would be an incredible feat.

This same group of guys still has to show that they can stuff the run.

It's preseason speculation and of course we will have to see if it comes true. After we did the show last night, I went and looked at the other good team's front 7's. I wouldn't trade ours for any in the conference. Going into the season, it's the best in the conference. Timu is a guy who hasn't been talked about much, but having a senior MLB who has been a starter since he has been here is huge. The MLB is the QB of the defense.

I wish we had one more bonafied baller instead of the Hudsons on the DL, but that's nitpicking. Those guys are solid players, and I actually think Andrew is a candidate for having a breakout season. Match that with the secondary and I think we have a top 3 defense. Best front 7 and a secondary that will be 4th-8th. If it's 4th, we could have the top defense. I don't want to get ahead of myself with such a young secondary, but Petersen has been very complimentary of what they have been doing in practice.

There is a lot to be optimistic about regarding the defense. These coaches don't seem like the smoke blowing types and they have been very positive about the players on defense. Like I said on the podcast, it's a defensive staff that has 3 former coordinators and a guy who coached in the NFL.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,621
    Standard Supporter
    I m sorry i mean the front seven statistically could top 5 after the preaseason.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You need to get that intern on those tech issues.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Just a couple of thoughts. No way Washington would be our biggest loss. That honor goes to Peters and it is not even close. The delta between Peters and the guys outside of Kelly on the depth chart is huge. While I do think DW is going to be really good, we could survive with guys like Coleman, Callier, etc.

People are not going to like this but replacing ASJ is going to be huge. Yes he was a lazy POS who really under achieved last year, but he was key in the running game. Last year I posted a video of Sankey's big runs and on almost every one ASJ took his guy out of the play. He was never a road grader, but he was very sticky on his blocks. Not sure we have seen that from any other guy on the depth chart. And it is usually the TE that seals the last guy on the edge for big runs. So even though he was a Dbag, he will be missed in the run game.

Darrell Daniels will be the breakout player on offense this year
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Just a couple of thoughts. No way Washington would be our biggest loss. That honor goes to Peters and it is not even close. The delta between Peters and the guys outside of Kelly on the depth chart is huge. While I do think DW is going to be really good, we could survive with guys like Coleman, Callier, etc.

People are not going to like this but replacing ASJ is going to be huge. Yes he was a lazy POS who really under achieved last year, but he was key in the running game. Last year I posted a video of Sankey's big runs and on almost every one ASJ took his guy out of the play. He was never a road grader, but he was very sticky on his blocks. Not sure we have seen that from any other guy on the depth chart. And it is usually the TE that seals the last guy on the edge for big runs. So even though he was a Dbag, he will be missed in the run game.

Darrell Daniels will be the breakout player on offense this year
    Depends what you mean by breakout. 20 catches with 3-4 TD's, sure. I wouldn't expect much more than that though. I'm not too worried about TE though. Petersen said the other day that it was a good group. Perkins and Daniels will be the main two with Hartivgson and/or Ajamu getting the rest of the time.

As Irish noted, depth at CB is a big concern. After Peters, there is only freshmen and Dixon, a guy who couldn't get on the field last year.